Author Topic: Inaugural “junior” bow trade  (Read 12440 times)

Offline paulc

Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2024, 07:08:42 pm »
Glad we pushed back ship date....my best guess is the darker streak isn't grain character but rather some wood damage....such is free wood i guess.  most every other stave i have is a "character" stave-meaning if you were smarter than me you wouldn't bother w them.

if i have something that might work i'll post a pic of starting point.....Paul

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2024, 11:05:03 pm »
Ouch. That’s a bummer Paul. I might be starting over too. I’ll know in a few days. Hope you find something to work with. You’re right about the ship date being extended.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2024, 10:20:48 pm »
Dang man, hate that. 

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2024, 09:44:52 pm »
Finally got my 2 billets glued up today.  Z splice and epoxy.  Now waiting for things to cure and then start shaping it out.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2024, 10:43:44 pm »
Looks good Aaron. I want to try a splice one day before long.
Put whitetail antler overlays on mine today and bent it a little on my tillering tree. Got to make a string for it. Then check till tiller and see if it’s heavy enough for my recipient. Think I’ll be okay, should know in the next few days.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2024, 05:30:34 pm »
Sometimes you gotta laugh. I never thought it would be that good   :o
Put a string on my bow today, after I saw it I put it in Hamish’s naughty bow pile and started on a new one.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2024, 10:02:02 pm »
The right side looks great!  :)

Seriously though, that's a bummer.  Good luck with #2

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2024, 12:35:26 am »
Just for kicks I’m gonna try and laminate a thin piece on the offending side and see if I can stiffen it up. I found a limb I cut off another Osage bow that went south on me with some really nice growth rings. I’m going to chase it down from both sides. Should end up with a piece about 3/16ths thick. Then flatten with my belt sander and glue it together with EA 40. Then reshape and tiller if it works. It won’t be my trade bow but, just want to see if I can do it.

Offline paulc

« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2024, 02:17:03 pm »
That is a bummer :-(  maybe it's one half of a laminated handle bow that you've yet to envision....

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2024, 08:53:37 pm »
Thinned down a piece of Osage today and bent it to match the bow. Will make sure tips line up first before gluing them. Probably fine tune the limbs some then glue them up

Offline superdav95

« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2024, 02:14:49 pm »
Just for kicks I’m gonna try and laminate a thin piece on the offending side and see if I can stiffen it up. I found a limb I cut off another Osage bow that went south on me with some really nice growth rings. I’m going to chase it down from both sides. Should end up with a piece about 3/16ths thick. Then flatten with my belt sander and glue it together with EA 40. Then reshape and tiller if it works. It won’t be my trade bow but, just want to see if I can do it.

I think this bow can be salvaged with a boo backing too if you’ve got one.  Just another idea fyi.  Best of luck with it. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2024, 07:11:42 pm »
That’s a good thought Dave. I was thinking about putting the piece on the belly but don’t know if that will work. I’ve got 2 other bows going right now. One is narrow but should make a bow. I did some bending on it today and also worked on a stave I started the other day. I’ve got it bending a little at floor tiller now. Need to take some twist out of both limbs. It has a little natural reflex in it as it sits. Close to getting a long string on it.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2024, 02:58:37 pm »
Been working on two replacements for my original trade bow. Mostly just bending and straightening. One had a little bit of propeller twist and the other is just a backup to my backup  and on that one I found a crack on the side of one limb that I filled with thin super glue and clamped it. Not sure how it might affect the bow. Crack is about mid limb. I’ll post a pic. The main backup has a couple knots in the bottom limb that I left some extra wood around. Debating flipping the tips. Both ends have a little issue that I’m thinking might benefit from being flipped.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2024, 10:44:39 pm »
This is the backup to my backup. Been working on this one for the last few days. Flipped the tips and did a little strengthening. Here’s where I’m at with it. About 67 inches long ttt and has a little snaky limbs that are 1&1/4 wide just past the fades. Still working on the tiller.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2024, 10:46:48 pm »
Pic