Author Topic: Inaugural “junior” bow trade  (Read 12439 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2024, 05:32:08 pm »
Hands up who knew you could only send 5 PMs an hour?  Me neither.  Most names have been sent out.  I’m only sending weight draw length and handed out as style depends on a lot of factors including wood the builder has available.  Some of you might want to stalk your guy’s posts, some might just want to build something beautiful.  I can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

I haven’t sent addresses out because we all post together, like Lillo said Ohana means family and family means no body gets left behind or forgotten.. ;)

Please post to confirm you received your guy’s details.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2024, 09:26:32 pm »
I’m only sending weight draw length and handed out as style depends on a lot of factors including wood the builder has available.  Some of you might want to stalk your guy’s posts, some might just want to build something beautiful.

I'm not even in this, so I don't know if I should be commenting or not...

My impression of the blind bow trades is that a big part of the appeal is you get something unusual or different than you normally play with or make yourself and the mystery of what style/type/design of bow you end up with isn't known until the end.

Mark

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2024, 10:28:53 pm »
Got my individual. Got an idea about what I'm gonna build. Be interesting to see if it works out.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2024, 11:59:50 pm »
Got mine too. I’ve made 6-8 bows and never had one break yet. So my biggest fear is that this will be the one.  :BB  Got a pretty decent stave marked out. Might back it with rawhide just in case  (--)

Offline paulc

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2024, 10:49:35 am »
Will start working on mine...Paul

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2024, 11:22:16 am »
Probably start on mine too. Don’t want to wait till the last minute. I might start two in case something happens to my first try. Nothing like a backup plan.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2024, 12:08:37 pm »
Starting early on is a great idea, takes the pressure off, allows you to make more than one bow and choose the best.... :BB

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2024, 03:43:57 pm »
Got my stave out chased it down to a ring. I’ll probably go down to the next ring which is much thicker then where I’m at right now.. I took a belly split off the stave and in hindsight I wish I hadn’t. I thought I’d end up with 2 inches in the handle but it’s only about 1 1/2 and I’ll have to take some of that off. I might glue a piece on the handle but, not sure yet.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2024, 01:45:46 pm »

Took it down to a better growth ring and laid it out.
Question about the knot in the photos. It’s in the handle/fade area and shouldn’t be bending at all.
Can I rasp that off flat and be okay? Or should I leave it? It’s going to be in the handle
Also will have a wrap, leather or jute. Haven’t decided yet.

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2024, 03:02:45 pm »
Do NOT put a knot in the fade. The fade does bend on every bow and is under the most stress of the whole bow. Try to pit the knot more in the handle or where the arrow will rest against it bit don't cut a shelf.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2024, 04:58:31 pm »
Thanks sleek, if you look at the picture the knot is actually in the handle and I’m going to glue a piece onto that handle section to make it thicker. Also no shelf on the bow. I’ll look at it better once I get it shaped a little better and have a better idea of what the knot is doing. 

Offline superdav95

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2024, 05:06:54 pm »
Ya I’d agree that sleek.  you should avoid knots at the fades.  I appears that it is in the handle from the pic that I’m looking at.  If that is the case you are completely fine with rasping it and shaping.  I’ve put knots at handles all the time when laying out a stave if I can to avoid the fades.  Sleek is right about the fades area working too.  Just because you don’t see it move much when bending if at all with naked eye doesn’t mean it ain’t workin. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2024, 05:12:44 pm »
Thanks sleek, if you look at the picture the knot is actually in the handle and I’m going to glue a piece onto that handle section to make it thicker. Also no shelf on the bow. I’ll look at it better once I get it shaped a little better and have a better idea of what the knot is doing.

Lookin good mike.  I’d say you’d be alright with your knot.  If it ends up being a rotten knot hole after working and shaping it down you can always put a plug of similar wood as del has done before or even fill it with dyed resin which could be cool.  If it’s a solid knot I would estimate you’d be fine with just shaping it. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2024, 06:41:39 pm »
Knot is pretty solid. I’ll put a couple pictures of it on here. Flattened it off on the bottom and am going to glue a piece on the belly side to thicken it up a little bit. It’s probably a little over an inch right now. Don’t have any EA 40, would EA13 work okay or should I just order some and wait on it?
I think I’ll do that. Been meaning to get some anyway.
Thanks

Offline Mafort

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2024, 02:46:26 pm »
Haven’t seen a lot of updates! How’s everyone’s build comin along?