Author Topic: Inaugural “junior” bow trade  (Read 13493 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2024, 10:55:05 am »
Hey Sleek, can you clear some space in your inbox please - that goes for the rest of us too :) :D

I cleared a few messages, sorry about that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline paulc

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2024, 11:26:46 am »
I'm happy w an extension....didn't get anything done last weekend but hoping this will be the weekend. But wife got a new puppy yesterday so I'll be in support of puppy care....

Paul

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2024, 12:14:50 pm »
everyone loves a cute puppy pic (hint)

Offline sleek

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2024, 01:18:30 pm »
Many apologies for not being as on it as I should be, got a bit of a thing going on in work that's been distracting me.  Will be good for me to get out to the shop this weekend.  These bows are looking really good guys, I am very impressed, its really made this trade worthwhile as the number of views shows.  Thank you everyone!!!

OK. So. Sleek has kinda made a once in a lifetime offer to someone in the Trade.  According to the principles of the Trade, I can reach out to that person, but in my opinion, that takes a little bit of the fun out of things - the Secret Santa Principle, if you will.  I would rather everyone in the group post what they think, or PM me, in the hope that the builder concerned says what they really think without me giving the game away.  So, what do you think of Sleek's request? A three month extension in return for a bow good enough to compete for a world record?

Don't let me throw a wrench in the works. I don't think you need to spoil the surprise, we can work that out, I sent my number, we can talk to figure out an easy solution.

This may not be once in a lifetime. I like making bows, I like competing. I like to see everything I can get out of a bow, but after that, it's time to make another, and I'll probably not mess with the older ones again. The metals will do with the bow, if I win any too. Proof of performance I suppose.

If anyone objects please let me know, I don't want to disturb the process.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2024, 04:22:13 pm »
I’m okay with the extension. That just gives me more time, especially if the one I’m working on doesn’t work out. I’m trying some new things on this one. If I mess up I’ll still have time to make a different one. I actually have been thinking about starting another one just in case the worst happens. (--)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2024, 05:57:23 pm »
That's settled then, mid to late September as a provisional deadline OK by everyone?

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2024, 08:12:12 am »
 :OK

Offline sleek

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2024, 11:40:28 am »
I've started chasing a ring on a very nice osage stave. Of course, this stave, being over 10 years old, and having left the bark on, is riddled with bug holes. So it's going to be an adventure in reduction to get below the bugs, and see what happens then. I'm trying to post images, but I'm struggling to get the file size down.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2024, 12:27:07 pm »
I've started chasing a ring on a very nice osage stave. Of course, this stave, being over 10 years old, and having left the bark on, is riddled with bug holes. So it's going to be an adventure in reduction to get below the bugs, and see what happens then. I'm trying to post images, but I'm struggling to get the file size down.

Use a third party hosting site and you don't have to resize anything. I use Imgur and it works very well, from your phone or desktop computer. A major bonus is the pictures are then big enough for us to actually see something, the forum hosted pictures are so small they are typically not much better than a thumbnail.

Mark

Offline sleek

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2024, 12:50:25 pm »
Thanks. When my wife gets home I'll ask her to show me how to do that.

I've got the bow laid out. This took some head scratches. I'm having to avoid knots and bug holes  Of course  thats not entirely possible.  So I'm judiciously putting them where I feel they will do the least harm. I've got 3 holes going into the recurve on one limb, as it doesn't flex, I'll be certain to just make it a little thicker to make up for it. Also there is a knot right where a recurve will be on both limbs. I've never recurved a knot before, this will be interesting. I've made character bows before, and I've made high performance bows, but never one that was both. The stave has some prop twist, and squiggles in the limbs. This is going to be a challenging build. Of course, I have back ups if this doesn't work out, but I'll see this through first.

Offline Walski

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2024, 02:45:28 am »
OK with me, I am almost done. I like building bows and have several in the works at all times.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2024, 09:25:08 pm »
Did some straightening with steam today on one limb. Will do the other tomorrow. Then will see how it turns out after that. Will probably post some pictures tomorrow..

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2024, 12:31:32 pm »
I’ve got this bow pretty straight but I’ve got one little spot that has a little dipsy do in it . I’ve been planning on doing a reflex on the limbs. Should I try and take that out or just try and live with it. It’s about 8 inches from the end of the limb. Could I steam it and clamp it down from the back of the bow to flatten it out?  The spot is about 2 inches long. I remember clamping my snaky Osage down from the back and that worked out okay.
Any thoughts

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2024, 04:07:14 pm »
Got another question for you guys.
After talking about mc and weight I decided to go buy a scale.
My bows limbs are still around 1/2 inch thick and around 5/8ths in the tips . I haven’t shaped the handle an it’s 70 inches long 1&1/2 at the fades tapers to 1/2 inch at the tips. Weight is 924 g  or 2:0.7 lbs. 32.6 ounces
now I’ve never weighed a bow before so I’m wondering if that seems heavy. May not be relevant at this point just thought I’d share

Offline superdav95

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2024, 10:58:33 pm »
Mike.  If you plan to heat in a bit of reflex anyway then you may get rid of most of it anyway.  Just heat it up first good then clamp it down.   Most important is the alignment for tips if recurves are put in.  That can be done after if they get twist in them.   As for the weight you will loose at least a few hundred grams of weight yet with reduction of wood on limbs and handle shaping. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com