Author Topic: Recurving Torges style bow  (Read 389 times)

Offline hammerstone

Recurving Torges style bow
« on: May 16, 2024, 07:51:34 pm »
I've done a few recurves in the past but all were flat bellied . I'm building a radius belly Torges style and the radius belly just worries me.  Seems like it would be prone to lifting a splinter .Does anyone recurve a radius belly and , which type heat do you prefer.

Offline Hamish

Re: Recurving Torges style bow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 08:00:45 pm »
If you want a tight bend, I'd bend the recurve before I'd start to radius the belly(steam or boiling). If you are just flipping the tips a little, and have already radiused the belly you should be fine(dry  heat).

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 08:55:32 pm »
Thanks that's good advice .I sometimes get so caught up in my build that I don't consider my options.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 10:52:54 am »
If you want a tight bend, I'd bend the recurve before I'd start to radius the belly(steam or boiling). If you are just flipping the tips a little, and have already radiused the belly you should be fine(dry  heat).

+1. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 12:43:01 pm »
What they said. I used to use dry heat with oil on all my bends but if I build another recurve I will use steam and make sure the heat penetrates the wood well before bending.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC