Author Topic: One Time LookyLou Members  (Read 37145 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
One Time LookyLou Members
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:02:08 pm »
The majority of the members (now 1295) logon once and register as members never to return.   >:(Typically less than one hundred vote for BOM. I have brought this up before, but I wish the forums could be accessible without registering as new member.  Any thoughts out there? :-\
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

Re: One Time LookyLou Members
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:41:46 pm »
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! Sorry Don but I see no way to increase voter turnout. If registering as a member wasn't
necessary how would you prevent someone from voting multiple times? I think the best way to increase the voter turnout is by enacting some changes
to the rules and leveling the playing field. If we only have 100 or so votes for BOM I think that in itself says that most of the members don't really care
about BOM hence the lack of votes. Only my opinion.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »
I think it is sad that there is so little Participation in this every Month...it is something that everyone looks forward to looking at....but barely anyone will participate in....why.....Who can say....All I know is you are pretty correct on the One Time Looky Lou's...I went back and looked at the Posts per Calender Year of Membership....and it is pathetic to say the Least.There are STILL a total of 817 Members since 2006 that have posted less than 5 times at all....in any category.....141 from 2006......279 from 2007....and 397 for 2008. Heck there are 535 Members that have still never posted once..how can you fix something that no one seems to care about....besides "Us"....The Handfull of Members that do Post??? So We may still have 1295 Members...but there are at least 817 that are really doing nothing for Us at all...possibly more......And ONLY 132 Members with 100 Posts or More....so There Are Your "Core Members"
But Don.....I don't see anyone laying any of this on You....You do one hell of a Job...and I don't know anyone that would put any more into this Part of the Magazine than You do.......I wish I had some good advice ....but i cant think of a thing that would Help....if the Members cant help themselves by participation......JMO
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:03:15 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:11:45 pm »
 Hey Don,  First I just want to say thank you for all the hard work that you put into the BOM.  I was pondering this for a while and a thought came to mind.  
  What if we gave some incentive to vote, and at the same time gave incentive to be dillegent about your decision. If we did a year end gift to those that vote every month of the year, and a specail gift to the one that ends up with the best voting record of votes for the winning bows.  
  It may be to much hassle to do and I don't know if there is a computer program that could track that easily but just a thought. I'm sure that, as with all thoughts, that there are some draw backs but, just throwing out an idea.
 I would be willing to throw in something for the kitty.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 05:18:37 pm »
I'm willing to bet that the number of BOM voters is roughly equal to the number of active users of this site. If that is true, that means that the root cause of low voter turnout is the fact that we have a small online community here. That should not be a surprise to anyone. Consider the small percentage of archers that are committed to traditional archery (just visit your local archery range and you will immediately understand what I mean), then the small percentage of that group that prefer all natural bows, and then separate from those the few who are inclined or able to build their own weapons.   Now consider how many of this shrinking population have computers, are computer literate, are aware of the existence of this site, and are inclined to spend time on this site in lieu of doing other things that they enjoy (like building bows).

Frankly I'm amazed we have as many folks as we do...
Gordon

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 05:36:54 pm »
Hey Don,  First I just want to say thank you for all the hard work that you put into the BOM.  I was pondering this for a while and a thought came to mind.  
  What if we gave some incentive to vote, and at the same time gave incentive to be dillegent about your decision. If we did a year end gift to those that vote every month of the year, and a specail gift to the one that ends up with the best voting record of votes for the winning bows.  
  It may be to much hassle to do and I don't know if there is a computer program that could track that easily but just a thought. I'm sure that, as with all thoughts, that there are some draw backs but, just throwing out an idea.
 I would be willing to throw in something for the kitty.

Keenan sounds like fanticy bowyer like fanticy football. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 06:40:05 pm »
Just checking how many posts I have! Ignore me!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »
How many posts do I need to win a prize?  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 06:46:04 pm »
  Joel, I don't know anything about fanticy football, but just trying to do my part and throw out ideas even if it's a pipedream. My wife says I'm a perpetual optimist and dreamer and I can't argu that one. Proof of that is my tendency to see a potential bow in rediculously crooked  stick.
 However Gordon has probably hit the nail on the head. And we are just seeing the reallity of the numbers of (actually active) members.
  Right now I'm just trying to cope,,,, >:( Because that really burst my bubble Gordon,,, ::) I thought we were the cutting edge of a massive movement that is sweeping across the world. A whole new generation of stone age throwbacks.   ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 06:48:05 pm »
 Tiller,Tiller,Tiller,   Who rattled your cage? ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 06:51:12 pm »
 Tiller, be constructive and inspirational and offer up a somethin special from W. Island ;) ;)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:01:54 pm »
Tiller,Tiller,Tiller,   Who rattled your cage? ;D

I DID!!!!!

Sorry

:P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 07:19:13 pm »
Don, the forum is accessible without registering. 

I watch the people that register and activity from their IP before they register.  It appears that most register then leave .  I'm not sure why they register.  Part of them have done a search for wording that wasn't there. If you do you get an error message.  They think that if they register the search will work better.  But it doesn't and they don't come back. 

I think Gordon is right.  We are part of a small community.  About 115 people vote for selfbow each month. I think if you were to count the people that participate on the forum on a regular basis, you would find the number is very similar.  I have been trying to think of a way to increase voting.  I have come to the conclusion that there are very few who participate and don't vote.  Why are we trying to get people to vote who don't participate in the forum?  If they don't take the time to participate why would they take time to vote. I don't like voting incentives. If we bribe people to vote when they just don't care, they will log on and vote for someone that has been nice to them, or just punch a number and not even look at the bows.  That would only perpetuate the problem.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 07:25:29 pm »
Keenan, it doesn't take much to rattle my cage!  ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:40:07 pm »
Good input Justin, I think your right they would probably just puch a number.

Tiller,,,,Get back in your cage! >:D