Author Topic: One Time LookyLou Members  (Read 37160 times)

Offline Bent Rig

Re: One Time LookyLou Members
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 11:49:04 pm »
Like some have said -one must be a registered member to vote , don't show any numbers as to how the voting is going til a winner is picked . Hey how about this for an idea - one more category - one say for a "true" primitive bow - one of just "whitewood" nothing exotic - with say the most one can put on the back if disired at the most would be nothing or possibly sinew , now that to me is the ultimate primitive bow . Because what I have seen so far on this site and in the magazines are some very beautiful bows made by some extremely skilled members and from these images , I've have gotten some very good ideas and that's all fine and part of the learning and sharing part of what PA is all about . But the last time I checked the forum was called "primitive Archer " and I doubt you would see MOST of these "pretty" bows way back when. I ask all of you to go back as far as you can in th BOM and you'll see what I mean - see how many times(count) a "certain" wood has won compared to the rest , there is a definite mentally going on  , so if a certain wood is used , your chances of winning is greater - you do the math - stats don't lie !  Everything can be improve no matter what it is - as far as competiton goes - it's all good in love and war - closing a thread that has been civil is hypacritical for a forum - last time I checked forum = medium for open discussion , so I don't understand why the other thread was shutdown . I also don't think a year ending prize should be given out , a hat and a piece in the mag is a very nice prize in itself . I  don't particapate very often- but I have been trying to partiapate in the voting for BOM  , but I get on the site at least once a day and go through the new posts - most of my questions are answered through other members questions and I'm also fortunate to be learning through a very skilled bowyer the last couple of years in my local area . I enjoy the site and whenever I have had a question - the membership comes through and I'm thankful for that -as far as getting more people to vote - just like any club - you'll only have certain people(the core) who will particapate all the time . Just my 2cts  ;)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline bcbull

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:54 am »
 guys i think a lot of the 817 that sign in once and dont come back  are mostly guys looking for information   iv noticed   you  have several other sites out there  trade gang , paleo plant ,bowyers den , bowyers journal  to name a few  ....... and you may see some of em here then on trade gang or paleo planet askin the same qustions they post if they do post  so relley i think a lot of em are info seekers pickin everyones minds tryin to get all the info they can befor they start a new project  as for the ones who vote i my self  if i see somthing that inspiers me and i like i vote  but that should be each and every member s personal choice i dont vote every month  but on what i like and that should be each and every ones personal choice   some of  us  dont give a hott about the beauty contests   just my 2 cent    ::)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 04:57:55 pm »
Bent Rig,everyones Definition of primitive is not the same. Some of the best bows Ive seen on here where reproductions of original native American bows. Which by the way were anything but plain Jane. They took great pride in the craftsmanship of thier weapons and decorated them to display as such just as we do today. Most of these bows where Dyed or painted with bright colors and decorated with wraps, quill work, beads, and feathers. A bow doesn't have to be plain or unattractive to be primitive.  Just my 2 cents. The pretty bow thing doesnt make any sence to me, its just good craftmanship. Also as far as the kind of wood goes...we all know osage and yew are superior bow woods, not to say that a good bow cant be made from other "white woods" Because we all know they can, its just if you have a local supply of a superior bow wood your probally going to use it more than the others. I for one will always vote for a very well made white wood bow over a decent osage bow because I know its hard to get a great bow from whitewoods, again just my 2 cents take it for what its worth. By the way the last two months bow of the month was won by a black locust bow and a maple bow.....just to prove my point.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

a finnish native

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 07:33:07 pm »
well, I have to lay my opinion in also.
Please no one take this personally! O:)
First of all, the mighty fine pictures on this website are only available for registered users, and you all know that one pic is worth a thousand words right? that might be one of the key reasons.
 Then as to BOM, I have to say that some people are here just for the information and knowledge, not for a competition won by looks and a billion coat's of tru oil.. I for one hold the info more important that BOM. Don't get me wrong Don, you have done one hell of a job here, and I understand that it is necessary to hold this, since the winner is always featured in the new PA magazine. It's just that some people don't care about looks or stories that much.
Then what comes to the number of voters.. I have to say that this core group of users who have posted several hundreds of posts are the votes that really count in my book. This is because it is those users mainly who really know their stuff somehow (nobody's perfect).
And I think it might be better off this way, because if all 1310 members voted, the winner would be the one with most tru oil and decorations on his or her bow. So maybe it's better that only the core group votes frequently. Most of the bows have a story too, and I bet that all members are not motivated enough to read all the stories of the bows in the competition, and thus the prettiest one would win, and not the most special or characteristic one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 07:47:18 pm »
Santtu, I'm happy to hear your comments. Thanks!  You have contributed greatly to our site and your opinion is always welcomed. ;)  Primitive Archer is not only for us here in the USA but a world wide site. I am seeing more and more folks from Europe and would like to see more from Asia, Australia, Central and South America and anywhere else in the world primitive archer hail.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 10:16:48 pm »
Wow cant believe I read all that.  I say leave it or have a panel of judges that are the same each month.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Phillip K

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2008, 03:19:43 am »
I Care a lot about Bowyer tradition even if I can't participate 100 percent but I am still voting for June BOM, Peace.PK