Author Topic: how sharp can a rock be, anyway?  (Read 25505 times)

radius

how sharp can a rock be, anyway?
« on: June 14, 2008, 02:51:05 am »
Just how sharp can a rock really be?  I mean, come on:  sharper than steel?  AS sharp as steel? 

Offline stickbender

Re: how sharp can a rock be, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 04:07:37 am »

Osidian, or volcanic glass is far superior to steel in sharpness.  They have done surgery with obsidian blades, and they were far sharper, and the edge lasted longer than the modern scalpals.  Look at a metal edge under a micro scope, and it will look like an old abused saw blade.  The stone point has a molecular edge, and is very smoothe.  Flint, chert, and other similar stones will likewise produce a sharper edge than steel.  The advantage to steel, is it's ability to absorb more schock without breaking, and to flex.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:07:21 am »
If you get a chance work with some obsidian.  You''ll find out the hard way how sharp it is. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 08:54:14 am »
What Stickbender said.   A sharp obsidian edge is the sharpest edge known to mankind.  It is often one molecue wide at the edge.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:50:18 am »
Yep! I have the spilt blood to prove it too!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

radius

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 03:10:32 pm »
ok, ok, now that we've got obsidian out of the way (which i knew about, of course) let's talk about some of the other stones people use to knap, like chert or something.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 03:28:42 pm »
Still sharper than steel!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 03:32:37 pm »
It probably depends a little on the stone.  If you get good stone it will be sharper than steel. (especially if I sharpened the steel)  :D  I'm sure that poor quality stone will give you a poor quality edge just like poor steel don't hold an edge as well.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 08:46:08 pm »
Stone can be sharper than steel but steel will be more consistent, from what I've seen most stone knifes are more like a saw edge
which won't give a smooth cut. If ya just knock a flake off and make a hoko knife then yer talkin sharp. Not sure I explained taht real well ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 11:44:38 pm »
Well Radius...........let me put it this way....Hope ya never get cut by it !  Stone that is.  :o I disagree with Dana, stone can be as consistent as steel. When stone breaks it produces another sharp edge steel does not.................bob

Offline david w.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 11:47:18 pm »
Stone gets really sharp!  I was knapping yesterday and had some flakes that were way sharper than steel.

Glass also gets wayy sharp
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 12:14:52 am »
OBSIDIAN IS THE ONE OF THE ONLY KNOWN MATERIALS THAT CAN SPLIT ITS OWN MOLECULE!!

obsidian is wayyy over 100 times sharper than any surgical honed edge.

rock has been putting red meat on the dinner table for THOUSANDS OF YEARS, who are we to question its ability?

mbg

radius

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 02:12:12 am »
what do you mean, "Who are we to question it?"  You sound like rock is a god, and we are some ignorant prehistoric savages!  Jesus!

We have minds so that we can question.  (well, that's one thing to do with our minds, anyway!)

I have never knapped, so I don't know...hope you don't mind me asking...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 09:18:32 am »
Stone can get really, really, really sharp. All the scars on my hands illustrate it well. A stone edge feels different from a steel edge, though-so many people not used to it would think that a sharp knapped stone edge was duller than a steel one, but it'll sure slice the bejeezus out of meat. I've surprised a few people by picking up a "dull" piece of flint and slicing through heavy pigskin leather like it was butter.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:32 am »
I would say, it all depends on how ya knap or finish the edge. The edge of a spall that tapers out unworked is like a razor, but on the points that have the edge chipped and shaped it's more like a serrated steak knife - not razor sharp but does go through hide, bone, and meat nicely ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.