Author Topic: how sharp can a rock be, anyway?  (Read 25515 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: how sharp can a rock be, anyway?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:42 pm »
Sharp! Very, very sharp!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 10:03:15 pm »
listen radius.

you posted the thread.
rock is not god.

who said anything about savages?
i do mind you asking questions that you get so offensive at.

as for obsidian and other rocks....primitives used what they found or traded for, and opted to use the best thing available...by choice, not circumstance...

so for your best intrest ,use your mind for something like RESEARCH and find out for yourself....or better yet, go out and spend your hard earned money for the "next best razor-replacement blade broadhead system"...and stay off the PRIMITIVE sites.

to the moderators who will be either kicking me off, or locking down this thread....

THIS ONLINE SITE IS GETTING TO BE A JOKE! HAHAHA
everyones a master crafter,or 100th part friend of a cousin to a REAL indian,and so he/she goes to the local retail store and picks up a traditional bowhunter magizine " i.e fiberglass,carbon,etc,scentlock mumbo jive" then comes in here and asks questions about the lethality or sharpness of stone????

hey radius, ask all of your compound buddies,or even your rifles buddies what there sucess rate is between "hit" animals and "in the back of the truck" dead animals are!!!!
 i bet you that they will have stories of lost deer too!
it takes more than a stick and a string to be a good hunter radius. shooting them and making them bleed god is only one 10th the puzzle.

it is the people who envy and study the "ignorrant prehistoric savages" that puts the influence in our good hunting gear today radius.
so i guess you can call me as such.

and as to questioning its ability...i guess us dumb cavemen will have to sit back and watch all you fools spend your money on new age crap "cause its on t.v,and  its done the hard way.....lol

dumb caveman ...oooga booga

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 10:19:07 pm »
listen radius.

you posted the thread.
rock is not god.

who said anything about savages?
i do mind you asking questions that you get so offensive at.

as for obsidian and other rocks....primitives used what they found or traded for, and opted to use the best thing available...by choice, not circumstance...

so for your best intrest ,use your mind for something like RESEARCH and find out for yourself....or better yet, go out and spend your hard earned money for the "next best razor-replacement blade broadhead system"...and stay off the PRIMITIVE sites.

to the moderators who will be either kicking me off, or locking down this thread....

THIS ONLINE SITE IS GETTING TO BE A JOKE! HAHAHA
everyones a master crafter,or 100th part friend of a cousin to a REAL indian,and so he/she goes to the local retail store and picks up a traditional bowhunter magizine " i.e fiberglass,carbon,etc,scentlock mumbo jive" then comes in here and asks questions about the lethality or sharpness of stone????

hey radius, ask all of your compound buddies,or even your rifles buddies what there sucess rate is between "hit" animals and "in the back of the truck" dead animals are!!!!
 i bet you that they will have stories of lost deer too!
it takes more than a stick and a string to be a good hunter radius. shooting them and making them bleed god is only one 10th the puzzle.

it is the people who envy and study the "ignorrant prehistoric savages" that puts the influence in our good hunting gear today radius.
so i guess you can call me as such.

and as to questioning its ability...i guess us dumb cavemen will have to sit back and watch all you fools spend your money on new age crap "cause its on t.v,and  its done the hard way.....lol

dumb caveman ...oooga booga

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline billy

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 10:57:28 pm »
Hey Radius,

Stone can be pretty darn sharp.  Obsidian and glass are the sharpest, high quality flint and chert is also scary sharp (at least the edges of the flakes are).  Grainy chert that is of poorer quality is not quite as sharp as higher quality stone.  Heat treated chert is very sharp.

When you make an arrowhead from stone, the edge is not as sharp as the edge of a fresh flake.  But the edge is also much stronger.  It's more like a saw blade.  I sent some stone points to a friend of mine in Florida and he shot a 150 lb. pig with one of them.  He said blood shot 4 feet out of both entry and exit wounds the moment the arrow hit.  It only walked 10 feet and fell over dead.  Turned out the point sliced the top of the heart completely off and when he gutted the pig, the heart fell out with the guts.

He then shot a 400 pound hog with another point and it passed thru both lungs and slammed into the offside shoulder blade.  It split the shoulder blade in half, and the tip of the point broke off in the bone when the pig jumped.  It only ran 40 yards. 

I've talked to people who have killed game with stone points and they say that stone points kill quicker than steel points.  I've seen the damage they do in game that I've killed with them and its pretty impressive.  They aren't magic of course, you gotta hit the animal in the vitals, but if you do, they do damn good job of destroying any soft tissue they encounter. 
Marietta, Georgia

radius

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 10:58:16 pm »
well, guys, thanks for all your responses...i guess the answer is, in general:  pretty sharp!

radius

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 10:59:35 pm »
i understand that it not legal everywhere to hunt with stone points?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 11:02:23 pm »
 michbowguy, you don't have to worry about me kicking you off. I've said this before, If radius spent as much time trying to do the things that he ask advice for and not questioning the answers he gets back, from, obviously, other people who have taken the time to learn rather than nit-pick and stir the pot he might be productive to a learning situation.
  radius, it seems like all you want to do is not learn, but see whose chain you can jerk. Do you make anything? Do you post anything besides something confrontational? Do you knap? Show everybody something instead of how good you are at arguing. We have had enough of this petty crap on this board.
  So, how about contributing something informational, do same research on your own instead of having other people do it for you and then questioning it? Google Obsidian, It would have given you the information everybody else has just told you. But you still want to question it. Try getting off the key board and seeing if it works , get your hands dirty.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

brian melton

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 12:19:43 am »
Radius,

Back off bud... >:( I have held the confrontational front for yrs here, and you are stompimg on my grounds. I suggest you play nice or deal with the master..... ;D

Brian

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 12:39:55 am »
radius, i wont holler at ya.
to answer your question,no stone points arent legal to hunt every where. i live in mn and our laws state very clearly that broadheads must have atleast two metal cutting edges..
but i would lo ve to get a couple stone point for some arrows i'm making.just for looks ya know.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 01:01:30 am »
   Brian,  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lakeland, Florida

radius

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 01:52:29 am »
hey, chigger-bait:  i've posted plenty of bows on this site:  a couple good buildalongs which many people have thanked me for...so don't take out your itchy bad day on me.

You guys quit bitch-talking me about asking questions:  I always ask questions when I want an answer.  Over and over again you see great guys like Justin Snyder and Pat B and Jawge saying, "Ask away, there are lots of experienced guys here who want to share their knowledge."  So just because you're red and sore from head to toe, don't be rude.  I've posted some possible solutions to some of the problematic issues here, and many complimentary or helpful responses to people who put their bows up for critique and appreciation.

Guys like you and michbowguy make this site an unpleasant trip ... it's like laying in the chigger-nest, and i'm getting hives just writing this!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 08:59:22 am »
 ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 01:03:34 pm »
radius,

i start to wonder about your "advice" giving when ive read some of your posts like...."what is a hill style bow?"

well, after reading that , i will know THAT YOU DO WILL NOT ANSWER ANY OF MY QUEATIONS!!!   lol

long before you came radius many more were open minded with there EXPERTISE, and were willing to share some trade secrets that took many years and hundreds of bows made to find these out....

now with all of your so called "bitch talking" these few just sit back and shake there heads and think that we budding bowyers are realy not worthy of such data as we seem to be exploiting there knowledge in our work claiming the proven techniques to be ours and taking credit for them.

these ways have been around longer than the atlatl,no primitive style bow is a new design,just a different take on a borrowed example.

so keep on answering peoples questions with your "archery knowledge" and i will take a step back like my friends and watch this forum go down the tubes just like the rest!

as for some of the "senoir" [please do not take offence to this word, i mean no disrespect!] members who still help new bowyers out, with debate thank you for your patience and wisdom.

radius, these members you claim to help or have helped you out so much became who they are on the "net", and in person , became who they are for bieng generous and open minded and keeping a closed mouth and open ears and THOUGHT BEFORE THEY SPOKE.

if my presence here "shocked" or has turned people away from primitive ways ...my intent was not for that to happen.

my shocking presence is to help snuff out phoneys and bigmouths that take our site and "place for granted"

pull your skirt back down radius and sit back,and do more research.
better yet , post something that we havent seen or built.
this would be very interesting.

mbg.out.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:15 pm »
ok alright already enoug is enough.

i started coming to this site for advise on making bows because i wanted an new bow and couldnt afford one so thought iw ould try making my own.
i have gotten great advise from several of the "seniors" on here.some from relitive newbies.

i know i have done my share of bitching on here,and i personally am tired of doing it and will try to control my anger/ typing fingers.

i will continue to seek advise on here from whom ever is willing to answer my post,however i have made my self a promise. i hope it help in the long run.

i have promised myself to never start or join in an argument willing on here again.i think i will add to that, i will no longer continue to read threads of anyones when there is an argument started on there. nothing personal against anyone, im just friggin tired of it all.
 in the words of Rodney King,"cant we all just get along"

peace to both you radius and you mbg,hope we can all be friends on here in the long run
                                                                                tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 09:28:31 pm »
hear hear tim...more power to that!

for my part i pledge to continue asking questions...can't help it if some people get all bent out of shape...up here in canada we have a saying about people like that:  f--k 'em.

so, i'm hearing rocks get pretty sharp, then?