Author Topic: Warbow-along  (Read 22096 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: Warbow-along
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 11:06:08 pm »
i cant see anything wrong with it other than needing a little more bendyness mid limb. but i am far from a pro. nice dirtbike. just got off mine.
lets just shoot it

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 01:32:52 am »
I agree with recurve shooter. Take it off in the middle of the limbs as you increase the draw length a bit more. You'll get the hang of it!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

grantmac

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 03:26:00 am »
More work tomorrow. I finally found a scale that reads up to 110lbs. I didn't want to strain the wood too hard before I found one.
       Cheers,
            Grant

grantmac

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 06:00:50 pm »
Got it back to just over 28" and everything is looking good. Had the bottom nock cut-off by the boyers knot so I piked it 1/2" and switched to a bowline on that limb. I'm going to shoot it in a bit before taking it the last 3".
       Cheers,
             Grant

Here are some pics, top limb right:

grantmac

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 06:47:02 pm »
Quick update. It's been shot at 28" a bunch today and back to about 31" once. Also shows now 73# at 28" and 84# at 31" so it has reached my goal and no lost much of it's early draw weight! Now I need to go straighten some bamboo and make some full-length arrows for it. Has taken 1.25" of set immediately after shooting and I'm betting it'll end-up with just under 2" after shooting it in at 31" which is great (to me) for a bow that is not as long as I'd planned. I'm really pleased with the ERC/Maple combo and it looks fantastic with some Tung oil on it.
        Cheers,
            Grant

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 07:09:49 pm »
Good going Grant! Cant wait to see the final pictures. Tung oil? Is that a good oil for sealing a bow with?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

radius

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 09:24:42 pm »
well, i use tung oil, but what do i know?

i hand rub it in several times and it seems to be pretty good...

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 11:37:53 pm »
I too have had success with tung oil... but I don't know too much either.

grantmac

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 01:04:24 am »
Tung oil is nice stuff for bringing out the natural beauty of the wood. In the past it was all I used along with some hardening wax paste. However I just picked-up some wipe-on poly in satin and I'm going to use that over a few coats of tung.
I will try for a real FD picture tomorrow, just need to get the wife to time it right because I can't hold this one!
       Cheers,
             Grant

grantmac

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 08:01:26 pm »
Finally what you are all waiting for!
The full-draw :o

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 08:17:15 pm »
 :o man that turned out nice! cant wait to see it finished.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »
Grant....you nailed that one....tiller looks great.....but....you look a bit on the Strained side there Boy.....let down and breath....... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 08:35:29 pm »
yeah, you did a great job Grant...but El D is right...breathe, man, breathe!

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 08:47:51 pm »
Great Grant! Glad to see it worked out well. Now SHOOT! Stop holding that arrow and SHOOOOOTTT!!!  ;D

grantmac

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 08:51:38 pm »
Thats the "Power Grimace" boys ;D

I was actually suprised at how easy it is to use that weight after only shooting 50-60lbs. I think it's because the bow just doesn't stack and of course the long draw. That arrow is 34.5" from the base of the nock to the base of the point so I'm getting really close to 32".
I can't wait to get out to the range and give it a blast at 70m. As for finishing, it is pretty much done. Warbows historically didn't have grips and early ones didn't have horn nocks so this is it.
Next one I'm shooting for 95lbs and longer as I think this one is a little too short with self side-nocks (I've figured out where that went wrong).
     Cheers,
            Grant

P.S. D. Tiller, just saw your reply, thanks for all the help with this it made a huge difference. I can't shoot in that position, there is a stump there but a miss would make for very bad neighbourhood relations.