Author Topic: Latest creation ( may be my new hunting partner )  (Read 14478 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Latest creation ( may be my new hunting partner )
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 11:41:49 pm »
Postman, you can get hemp twine at Wal Mart in the craft section. It is very strong and makes a very good handle wrap. I set my wrapped handles in Massey finish.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 02:25:53 am »
The 2 tone was done with some black ink.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 06:52:52 am »
TJ I've done several bows with hemp cordage for handles, I've dyed it black with liguid rit dye and usually seal it with some diluted white glue
followed by several coats of spar varinish, and like ya say it keeps it grippy texture, leather looks nice but if it gets wet it also gets slimy.
Pat haven't tried the massey finish yet but I bet it also works good.

As for criticizing a bow as long as its done in a positive manner fine, but remember that a new guy posting their first few bows will be
extremely proud of their bow so with the criticism also find something positive to say about the bow. Criticism should also be offered
with advice as to why and how to fix the problem. If all your going to say is "Tiller is off" or such its best to keep it to yourself. JMO
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 08:49:22 am »
  Nicejob, TJ. I think the tiller looks good considering the knots you had to work with. I don't think you and Cade need to worry about bee's as much as you should the " Mud dobbers". ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 10:48:52 am »
OOOOOOOOO  :o mud dobbers. Hopefully I will not be motionless long enough for one to try and build a nest!  :o
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57:41 pm »
 ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Kyle

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
Dude nice bow, good tiller,has some character, is pretty and uses hemp nice deal ;D

P.S. I'm diggin the kilt

Offline nugget

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 04:31:57 pm »
Much thanks to ya

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 05:45:20 am »
nice bow, and i was gonna chalk the weak spot up to the knots. as of yet i have still to tackle anything with knots. i guss im still too chicken. and as for the kilt, i know a guy that owns a biker leather shop. hes about 6' 6" 350lbs. got to respect the kilt...

i got a dumb question, whats a mud dobber? or maybe its best not to ask...

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 11:30:12 am »
Nice one TJ, always love that yellow wood - I'll be quiet about the kilt too, glad you like it ;D.
 Phil: I don't have a scientific explanation on a mud dobber, but it's a wasp that builds it's nest out of little balls of mud - little chambers stacked on top of each other like tunnels. They lay an egg inside, paralize some spiders and pack them in there (for the larvae to feed on) then seal it up.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008, 01:03:22 pm »
Mud dobbers are such a nuisance.  Every year when we get down the Christmas decorations that are stored in plastic tubs in my shop, we have to clean off the mud dobber nests and since our clay is red, you never can quite get the red spots off of what they built their nests on.  I even had them make nests in the shell pockets of my Filson strap hunting vest.  Arrrrrggggggg.  Nasty buggers. 

Nugget you did good on the bow man.  And as one owner of a kilt to another, remember the words from Braveheart when the English were planning on deploying the archers against Wallace, "Arrows cost money, send in the Irish instead".   ;)  Remember who came out on top there?

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline adb

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 01:21:18 pm »
Hey, nugget... why do they call it a kilt? Cuz that's what happened to the last man that called it a skirt.

Offline Dane

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 01:30:49 pm »
I probably shouldn't ask...but what is a Chris Cade man dress?
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline nugget

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 04:38:28 pm »
Dane a Chris Cade man dress is a "Utili Kilt" . The name "man dress" came about after the CTA shoot in Hickory. Chris wore a "Utili Kilt" he bought off of  site on E bay.  I saw it, liked it, always wanted one,so I made my own instead of buying it . Also I did not want to be a total copy cat ;D
Thanks ab3122

Offline jwillis

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »
Nice looking bow.  The thing that freaks me out about kilts is that they were historically worn without underwear...lol.  Jim