Author Topic: EUCALYPTUS longbow ...(pics)  (Read 23420 times)

Offline Dane

Re: EUCALYPTUS longbow ...(pics)
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 08:39:31 am »
Awesome bow, and the ficus tree is a nice background. I saw much smaller ones all over UCLA campus this past Xmas when my wife took me on a tour of her old grad school memories.

Are the wraps above and below the handle area for show only?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

DCM

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 09:05:20 am »
Beautiful work as usual Manny.  I like the string handle and wraps.  Nice variation on handle treatment.  Don't look like it takes much of that stuff to make a bow judging from it's size at the arrow pass.

What does asymetrical mean, arrow pass at center or arrow pass 1 1/2" above?

Tiller looks freaking beautiful.  And I really can't tell for sure but I'm guessing 1 1/2" above center.  That would make the bow symetrical, by the current dogma, but I agree with you it actually is a more accurate description.  Not trying to re-kindle that discussion btw.  Just curious as I thought we'd talked about it on this very bow, perhaps at another venue.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 01:14:50 pm »
David, I allways thought that symmetrical bows where the ones with limbs of the same length and assymetrical the ones with the longer upper limb (have I being using the wrong term all along ? ::) ;D ), this bow has the handle lyed out, 3" below and 1" above center

Dane, if you look closely the first wrap on the lower limb is over a knot at the very edge of the limb, the secon is at the end of a tiny longitudinal crack, didn't look bad but just in case ;) , uppers are just to match, I thought they looked good, I'm gonna use them more in the future for decoration
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:27:06 pm by NOMADIC PIRATE »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 01:58:50 pm »
David, I allways thought that symmetrical bows where the ones whith limbs of thre same length and assymetrical the ones with the longer upper limb (have I being using the wrong term all along ? ::) ;D ), this bow has the handle lyed out, 3" below and 1" above center

I was under the same understanding....a Symmetrical Bow had two Limbs of the Same Length....and An Asymmetrical Bow has a Longer Top and Shorter Bottom...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dane

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 02:31:12 pm »
I also thought that was the correct use of the term, a longer limb above the handle.

Thanks for the reply, Manny. Gorgeous bow. Bet she is fun to shoot.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

DCM

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 02:31:46 pm »
You got it Manny.  1 and 3 would be asym, 1 1/2 and 2 1/2, etc.  2 and 2 would be sym.  I simply didn't know yours was 1 and 3.  Looks good.

DCM

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 02:35:53 pm »
"And I really can't tell for sure but I'm guessing 1 1/2" above center.  That would make the bow symetrical, by the current dogma, but I agree with you it actually is a more accurate description."

I can see where ya'll got the wrong idea, from me!  Sorry.  Anything but 2" above would be asym.  Don't know what I was thinking.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 02:44:40 pm »
terific bow and great pics.

Dave

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 02:56:33 pm »
Classic longbow lines - doesn't get much better than that Manny.
Gordon

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 03:29:01 pm »
thank you for the confidence boost... that is one of a few trees that grow where i am headed at the end of the year...Iraq >:(.. but anyhoo... i hope to have as much success there.... beautiful artwork... the whole bow that is... hope she stays true.
death by natural causes

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 04:36:42 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm extremely happy with this bow, it was my first truly bendy handle and I learned a lot making it, the bow has an overall over 300 full draws between tree and shooting probably close to 1000 draws at various length between 20 and 27", I think she will be a good hunter :)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

bow kid44

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 09:37:51 pm »
nice six pack   ;D ;D ;D ;D    but im not like that  :D

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 11:28:26 pm »
Hey Manny, I didn't know that you had a new handle, and I sure didn't recognize the haircut, but when I saw the tip treatment I thought, "Hey, this guy copied Manny's tip shape!" Very nice bow my friend!
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

jape

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 12:44:10 am »
Beautiful bow. If you or Graeme work out what sort of eucalyptus it is, I would love to know, got a few hundred on my land!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 06:52:08 am »
Hey Bob, long time no hear, how are you doing ?

Thanks I'm really happy how this bow turned out,....Ho yeah I changed the handle, after the second time I got kicked out of TRADGANG, I decided to change to this one, that I had in mind for a while  ;D

jape,
I'm going to take a day in the next future to dedicate to go and get more of this wood, the only problem is that's quite a mission being quite a ways into the jungle, but I'll take pictures and Graeme will help with identification, in the mean time brother cut some of them trees and give them a try  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII