Author Topic: Thorn apple long bow  (Read 19785 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Thorn apple long bow
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 09:06:23 am »
Ryan, that is realy a fine looking bow. Great job all around as we've all come to expect from you! Good luck hunting with it this fall. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 09:28:08 am »
Sweet bow Ryan, I'm impressed that the two stains didn't bleed onto each other. I've looked for rattan but can't find it up here, it sure makes a nice grip.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 10:43:57 am »
Nice bow Ryan. I made a Hawthorne bow last Winter.  The wood does indeed heat treat well and makes an excellent bow.  To bad all we get up here are 3" max diameter trees that are for the most part twisted and gnarly.  If the trees had better growth I would use it more often
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline shamus

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 11:03:51 am »
beautiful tips. A real nice bow, ryano.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 12:56:58 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Thanks Frank that means a lot Buddy. There's  a lot of fine weapons posted here.....

Greg, I feel like this bow has some good mojo, I don't think taking a deer with it this fall should be a problem !

Dana, I apply the second color around the edge of the tape with a q-tip and use just enough stain on it for it to come off on the wood. If you apply it to heavily it would bleed through for sure.

Marc, I remember you posting that bow Marc. I didn't know Hawthorne was the same thing we call thorn apple at the time. This tree was about 4" through..I sawed it in half on my band saw and got two nice staves out of it. The first one I screwed up when debarking it and slightly violated a small knot and it pulled up a splinter there. This one I was more cautious with and it came out pretty good. We have quite a bit of this wood around our property but its hard to find clear enough wood for full length staves but billets wouldn't be a problem. Ive seen some trees with trunks as big as 8" probally but they don't grow very tall before branching out.

Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline HoleinthebowChuck

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 01:51:32 pm »
Very nice looking bow Ryan.
Good luck with it hunting.
Chuck

Offline Gordon

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 01:24:33 am »
That one turned out particularly nice Ryan. I really like the lines and the stain job is eye catching.
Gordon

Offline Ryano

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 09:39:53 am »
Thanks Chuck!   ;D
Thanks Gordon!  ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 09:48:25 am »
Really a nice bow there Ryan, I hope I can try that wood some time. You are really doing some good work. Steve

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2008, 12:06:13 pm »
Very impressive. If Thorn Apple is the same as Hawthorn, you get double congrats ;)
Long time until July BOM so we get to enjoy this one for awhile.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2008, 01:58:48 pm »
sweeet!  i had been thinking of dying a bow with black chevrons up the back for camo.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2008, 10:09:17 pm »
thats about the same dementions of the hawthorn we got around here too. the one ive got drying was a 9" tree. the stave i got is actually 80" long, but it came from the center of a cluster of them. i had to cut through 3 trees just to get to this one stave. its got a bit of a jog in the one end but its pretty strait for the most part.

great job on the stain man. you should bring that one to denton hill....and give it to me!!! :D

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2008, 01:15:34 am »
Very sexy bow Ryan, I really like this one......Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Ryano

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2008, 12:27:35 pm »
Thanks Steve.

Thanks Don. It is Hawthorne.

Thanks Chris, Sounds neet.

Phill, thats a big hawthorne.....Have you split it yet? Does it have much twist?

Thanks Brian.  ;D

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2008, 04:12:30 pm »
Yup i split it in half. i did a bit of a kerf the whole length of it befor i split it, but i dont think it was necessary. the bark ran pretty true. it split stait, hardly any twist at all, which i was very surprised with, given the way they normaly grow. i think its because it had to grow strait up to get any sun. ill get some pictures and put em on here.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.