Author Topic: Primitive archery growing in Britian  (Read 140271 times)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
Re: Primitive archery growing in Britian
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2008, 09:21:42 pm »
exactily! well, you can't hunt very much in the UK due to restrictions right? this might be out of a robin hoood book ;D but Its an offence to the queen if you shoot a deer or something, right? not totally sure though. yeah, they outlawed handguns in chicago, but all the towna around that are practily giving away they're .38's, even the 9mm went down alot! -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »
 People have always killed people. I am sure as long as there are people,it won't change.
Back to archery.Since archery is a dying art in england,maybe we can start calling the elb the alb since were making them. ? Hmmmm... >:D ;D  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline wally

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 04:49:24 am »
Hey man
    Leave England with something at least! The self Yew bow as used in Agincourt and Crecy was an English design. You've got AFB, arrow shelves and a long tradition of hunting. Give us a break.
Before anyone misinterprets this and gets annoyed-I'm only joking
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 10:37:49 pm »
  wally, I feel for you guys, brother, some of that has to suck. But you can have the ELB, at least it's hard for me to get Yew. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 02:52:30 pm »
I've only just blundered into this section of the forum, I've been stuck on the bows section. The round house looks great, and a friendly looking tribe of natives with their weapons. I'd like to meet up some day , next time I'm in your  part of the country,(which I believe is down south).

there is way more stuff on this forum than I thought, if I'm not carefull I'll spend all my  time  here instead of my workshop. Id really love to live in one of those roundhouses!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Whitebeam

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 02:53:26 am »
We (the PAAS) will be back at Butser for a major living history event August Bank Holiday weekend (the weekend before the last Monday in August for those who don't know). We are also staying at Flag Fen near Peterborough for a week begining on the 7th February - that'll give us a chance to test how warm and dry those roundhouses are ;-)

There are a few more details on the PAAS website on http://www.spearthroweruk.net/

Peter

Offline Cromm

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 07:50:47 am »
Thanks Whitebeam,
I will have to try and make it to one of them this year!
Oh and welcome to Primitive archer.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »
Those are freakin awsome. I would live that way only can't convince wife. Keep it up you guys are doing great work.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 11:35:11 am »
Just found this thread.  Great photos!  Keep up the good work.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:28 pm »
Yeah there's lots on this web site that you can find just by chance, I love it!!!!!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Emperor

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2009, 09:00:59 pm »
That looks amazing! I have to build one of my own some day, haha, I'm loving that guys head gear, I made something like that except is was a pigs skull that was worn on my face.

[First post on the site, finally!]

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 04:21:02 pm »
Hi, I live in Harlow now, but grew up in Rowlands Castle, just a few miles south of Butser...I love the downs, maybe I'll get along and see you guys next time I'm visiting my parents who still live down there.
My longbow is of Hampshire Yew and I've made some nice primitives too, Ash and Hazel.
I currently shoot at Celtic Harmony which has a coiuple of nice roundhouses too.
What days/times do you shoot? I'm hoping to get down there sometime this summer.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2009, 05:07:45 pm »
I hope your posting draws the bowyers out of the woodwork for your organization, Mark.  Your photos are inspirational and impressive.  If I ever get over to Great Britian, I am going to come play with you folks!!!!

Meanwhile I am posting this information over to a new friend in Scotland.  He wants to build a bow and hunt with it.  Sadly he will not be able to do it in the land where the longbow was made famous (ir infamous if you are of the French persuasion), but he has a standing offer to hunt deer with me out my backdoor anytime he can get here!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2009, 11:58:00 pm »
Wow, great stuff! Love the Celtic shield the one guy has! You guys are doing an outstanding thing there!
Living a dream...

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2010, 02:04:52 am »
wally,

And remember Americans are much closer to the bow hunting tradition, in England bowhunting is unknown in anyone's living or even tribal memory.

Not quite true mate, I lived in the UK when younger, was in fact born there but originally left at the age of 3. However returned to UK when 11 and between the ages of 12 and 16, (left UK again at 16), I hunted with bows, mainly rabbits but other small game as well. Had to make my broadheads out of spoons and bits of plate steel. Must admit the only other "archers" I know of who went hunting were "Night Hunters" who use crossbows on deer etc. I should add one side of my family were for a number of generations "Night Hunters", favourite weapon for small game was the slingshot. So hunting with a bow and otherwise is and was in the tribal record, it is suppressed but still there.

I will of course only admit to the family "Night Hunting" as poaching is illegal.  ;)

Craig.