Author Topic: It's all Hillbilly's fault!  (Read 13221 times)

Offline FlintWalker

It's all Hillbilly's fault!
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:23:39 pm »
Dangit Steve! Look what you started.
  I told myself, "Don't try knapping, you don't need another habit."  But between you and that fire water down at Pappys, I gave in.  It's fun too.
 These are my third and fourth points (counting the one from Pappys) They are smoke tinted glass. The Big Sandy was supposed to be about twice that size, but you know what happened >:(  The bigger one is 3" long 1-1/4" wide.  I know they're not exactly flint, but hey, you use what ya got.  I broke a few, then started watching Paleo man Jim on You-Tube. He has some really good videos about knapping slabs that helped a lot. 
 And Cowboy, I still owe you for the points you sent me. What you got wasn't near enough.
  Just thought I'd share.  Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: It's all Hillbilly's fault!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:41:36 pm »
Man I need to spend a little time with Steve if he taught you that.  Nice work. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:36:24 pm »
Man those are nice.  :o I've got to try me some of that glass.   ::)

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:07:03 am »
Durn, Shannon-you're making us all look bad-you're already knapping like somebody that's been at it for years. :o I don't think I taught you all that, you're just a natural, you must have been a Clovis dude in a previous life. ;D And it's all the fault of your big ol' jug-o-firewater that I kept breaking all my johnstone into little bitty pieces down there, so we're even.  ;D ;D Awesome work, man. Now you need to smack some flutes in that big blade.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 04:47:08 pm »
Ooga Booga!  Me try to flute one, no workum on both sides. Maybe better next time. :D  It's 2-5/8' x 1-1/8
  I made a better pressure flaker. I'll check You-Tube and see if I can figure out how it's supposed to be done and give it another try.
 Oh and I ain't making ya'll look bad at all.  This glass is easy.  I really admire someone who can start with a big chunk of flint and make a point or blade. That takes talent.  Saw Filer

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »
Shannon is a natural at every thing he does  ::)......The boy is a artist.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »
...everything but drink from the jug-o-firewater! ::) ;D...although, look what came from it!!! 8)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:34:35 pm »
Dang show off ;) Nice points Shannon and apparently you got the good camera from the wife. ;D

I have a jar of yer secret recipe, maybe I need to try a sip or three next time I get to do some knapping ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 11:54:15 pm »

This glass is easy.  I really admire someone who can start with a big chunk of flint and make a point or blade. That takes talent.  Saw Filer
Talent, and I think you have it.  Great work.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 08:31:02 am »
Those are some really good looking points Shannon! Great photo's of them as well! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:20:33 pm »
 Ha! Ha!  You are hooked, And I'm glad. You deserve it after making those points. Nice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 10:22:48 pm »
WOW those are so nice!  I cant believe those are only some of your first ones.

Is the last point fluted?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 10:32:07 pm »
  Show us a sideways shot? ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 10:51:20 pm »
David, that last one is kinda fluted, I tried, but don't really know how. ???
 Eddie, I tried to fight the urge to try it again, but it was raining all weekend here and with no bows going right now, I had to find something to do. I would like to try some obsidian though, you know...just to see if I can ::)  I'll try to get some sideways shots posted as soon as I can.  I'll go ahead and tell you thought. The little one is about 3/16" thick and the other two are 1/4" thick in the middle.   Saw Filer

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »
Here ya go Eddie. I can see that my center line isn't as straight as it could be. I think I need to slow down and take more deliberate, smaller flakes as I get closer to the final shape.  I didn't do very much fine flaking on the edges of these since I had no intention of trying to get them very sharp. In fact, I knocked the sharp edges off these since I don't plan to use them.
 The first pic is the wannabe clovis, the next is the bigger blade and the last is a little Dovetail I made last night.
  I've got a lot to learn, but if I can just get to where I can make a decent hunting point, i'll be happy.