Author Topic: It's all Hillbilly's fault!  (Read 13220 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: It's all Hillbilly's fault!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 06:57:31 am »
Very nice work Shannon,looks like you been doing it for years. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 07:11:43 am »
Yer a machine Shannon ;D. Them look good and like the background too. Those edges straighten up pretty easily if their half way straight before you start the fine work. Just rub the edges a couple of times with a fine abraider so you can see all the deltas and which way they need to be picked off back and forth to make the edge straight, it'll be sharp too :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 01:37:34 pm »
Oh, thank god! I was thinking you were the next robustus.  :o  Now I see humps and a couple hinges. I feal much better now!  ;D

Great points by the way. Wish I was doing that well when I started out.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 05:55:08 pm »
  You are way ahead of the learning curve , Shannon.Like Cowboy said those edges are easy to straighten up. Real nice points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »
Also, remember treat pressure flaking reduction just like you would percusion. Always take from below the center line. That way it will always be lenticular and you wont hing flake as much!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Dingleberry

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 10:23:36 am »
Dang Shannon those are awesome.   I'm jealous,  I seem to have hit the plateau of not very good, and can't get off it.   Maybe, I'll blame Hillbilly for that.....haha

What kind of tools you usin?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:21 am »
I seem to have hit the plateau of not very good, and can't get off it.   Maybe, I'll blame Hillbilly for that.....haha

Jonathan, that sounds much more likely for my students. As a matter of fact, sounds like you're copying my techniques right down to the last detail.  ;D ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 11:38:23 pm »
Glad you like them Jonathan. I wouldn't call them awesome though. It's pretty easy working with flat glass. It's reducing big rocks down to usable points that impresses me.
  The only tools I have are two copper tipped pressure flakers. I tried it with antler, but just couldn't get it to "bite"
  I found the bottom of an old blueish green mason jar today, it's pretty thick and if I don't break it, should make a real pretty point.  Here is some pictures of #6 and #7, The longer one is 3-1/4" long the other is about 2" long. I made sort of a pine tree/lost lake type point last night. It turned out pretty good except for a few tiny little step fractures.
  Steve, it's O.K. to be humble, but we all know how good you are ;)
 And David, looking back on almost every point i've broken I realize that almost every one of them was from not working at or below the center line. That's good advise. Thanks   Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 01:31:43 am »
AHHHHHH!!!! Stop it Shannon. Your doing better than me and I've been at it off and on for a  number of years!!!  ;D

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 01:59:17 am »
 ;D David, I compare this to bow making. If you ain't breaking, you ain't making!  Almost every one of those points started out much bigger than they finished  ::)
 A high school buddy of mine always said, "Aim high, if you fall a little short, you'll still be way up there."  ;)  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 11:30:05 am »
Shannon,  not only are your points fantastic, but your photography is awesome.  That purple dusky background is beautiful.  What a wonderful way to show off your work.  You are doing great, my man!

Dan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 11:55:33 am »
More nice ones Shannon :) I see my problem now I never aimed high enough :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 12:50:15 pm »
You da Man Shannon !
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 11:16:21 am »
More works of art, like that saying too. Have ya had a chance to hit any of those soft rocks I sent ya >:D ;D?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 10:20:51 pm »
WHAT soft rocks??? ???  Are you crazy?  Man, I've all but reduced every single rock you sent me down to pea gravel and ain't got a single point out of it.  I just can't seem to make flakes big enough to get anything of any size out of them.  I know it ain't the rock, it's me for sure.
  Maybe one day i'll have a clue ???