Author Topic: TEASE!!! Cherry Bark Backed Osage Recurve  (Read 14444 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: TEASE!!! Cherry Bark Backed Osage Recurve
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 08:06:22 am »
That one really turned out purty Pat! That bark looks awesome on it, hope it will stay as is. Great job!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 08:43:17 am »
Cool looking bow, the bark looks like CAMO.    Brother Dan, the other turd herder.

;D ;D ;D DanaM also a poop pusher ;D ;D ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Newen

• http://www.arcosnewen.com/
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 09:47:34 am »
!!!  Excellent its work my congratulations  ;D

Gabriel

www.arcosnewen.com.ar

Offline TRACY

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 10:33:22 am »
Nice looking bow Pat. I hope it fills the freezer for you. One question; did you say that the osage was cut just a little over 2 months ago? Did you hot box the staves? I only ask because I've experimented with different drying methods/times for osage and don't believe that the traditional drying times are necessary and can be safely shortened. On  the flipside, I have osage staves from 27 years ago to compare with newer ones.

Thanks Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 11:51:58 am »
Tracy, Yes, this stave was cut 5/5/08. I didn't use any artificial drying methods but I did heat treat the belly which definitely has a drying effect. Even though this bow and the stave before hand felt dry it seems to be a bit mushy now that it is a bow. After unbracing it has taken a set but will recover over the next hour. I think after it is a year or more old that will change...as it cures more. I am a firm believer in using well cured wood for bows. I have and will continue to use dry, unseasoned(uncured) wood for comparisons but think a well seasoned stave will produce better bow in the end. 27 year old osage should be about perfect! ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00:45 pm »
Pat that bow is inspiering.
Mililani Hawaii

Dustybaer

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »
wow, it came out beautiful.  love the tiller.

did the belly give you any problems when you put in the recurves?  the reason i'm asking is, because the signature bow cracked on the belly when i tried to flip the tips.  i wonder if i was too impatient.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 05:32:17 pm »
Knowing you, I'd say you are too impatient but thats another matter all together.  ;) ::)
  Yes, the outside of the curves(belly) did crack a bit but only superficial. I reduce the area to be bent to one ring on the belly side also so I get a good bend but leave enough wood that can and usually is removed, removing the cracks with it. I add super glue to the crack for insurance.  When I heat wood to bend I wait until the weight of the bow begins to pull the heated area then I pull it down slowly until I get to the caul. I also make slight corrections to alignment. More is always needed later too.
   Hows life in Germany these days?       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

alfadee

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 06:08:44 pm »
very nice bow!
i got some cherry bark yesterday, perhaps enough for 4 or even more bows.

david

Offline cracker

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 06:54:37 pm »
Hy Pat I really like the bark thing looks like some of that swanky new camo they sell in the catalogs.Seriously Very nice bow I'd be proud to own it in fact I'll pm you with my home address.
Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline RG

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 07:00:37 pm »
 :) Awesome bow Pat looks right on like that bark finish might have to try that sometime

Ron

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 10:02:46 pm »
Very nice Pat
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 11:50:54 pm »
Thanks guys. I really like the bark backing too. Looks like expensive "TreeBark" camo...but better. ;D
I'm gonna give this bow and the yew bow I recently posted earlier a good workout this weekend at the Powder Creek Shoot. I'll report back after.       Pat

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 12:12:26 pm »
Super Pat - The Tiller Alone is Impressive. Wel'' look at it again late next week for BOM Fun ;D
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 10:56:32 pm »
What a beauty, I love the bark job.  The contrast with the wood is great.  Tiller and recurves look great.
Traverse City, MI