Author Topic: Short Draw Length  (Read 11889 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Short Draw Length
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:54:32 pm »
  I think daniel, on the arrow section needs to be in on this thread. I think I've been talking to a piece of plastic.  :-\ I draw between 29 and 30" depending on how excited and how much time I have to shoot. All my arrows are 32" long and I usually shoot 120 grns,
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:09:13 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:41 pm »
I think the biggest reason people cut their arrows short is because they are infected with compound mentality and they have to get every bit of speed they can. 

yup thats about it, heck i have a friend that shoots full length carbon arrows, 32", out of his wheelie bow. they shoot fine.

on my elb the arrows are all about 3" longer than my draw,my wheelie bow arrows are 2" longer,some 4" longer( for my guillotines  >:D )

shoot what your comfortable with and what flies well ;)

peace,
                                                                                        tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 11:26:46 pm »
I used to shoot carbons from my Martin Savannah longbow. I draw about 27" and used a 32" carbon with a 100 grain brass insert and a 200 grain broadhead. Hows that for weight forward? It looked kinda silly, but shot and penetrated awesome.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 01:28:15 am »
I used to shoot carbons from my Martin Savannah longbow. I draw about 27" and used a 32" carbon with a 100 grain brass insert and a 200 grain broadhead. Hows that for weight forward? It looked kinda silly, but shot and penetrated awesome.

dang that must have hit like a sledge hammer!!! :o
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JBL

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 01:44:19 pm »
Great info! Thanks to everyone it really confirmed much of my own thoughts on the subject of arrow length and spine.  I am not worried about a few extra inches or FPS; I am more about accuracy and penetration.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 11:22:23 am »
I have a similar situation.  I have a 25" draw and use a non-centershot bow.  I'm pulling around 40# at my draw.  I use cedar arrows which are 29" long.  These arrows have 125 grain points.  I find that longer arrows are more accurate, at least for me.  I think that arrow spine is more important than arrow lengh (provided that the arrows are long enough to shoot).