Author Topic: Anyone getting ready for deer season?  (Read 14683 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Anyone getting ready for deer season?
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:35:58 am »
Its only the end of July and I'm already looking forward to the first Saturday in October. The opening day of archery season here. What are y'all doing to prepare for opening day?  I'm getting some river cane shafts straightend and spined.....and I finally broke down and bought one of those digital scouting camera's yesterday. Can't wait to put it out and see what kind of game is in my hunting area's this year ! My buddy is making me some obsidian points for hunting this year. Thats going to be a first for me. I've been hunting with a selfbow for about 5 or 6 years now, but up until now, I've always used store boughten steel broad heads. Any one have any tips for practicing with obsidian points so I dont brake them? I have one of those large soft foam targets like Pappy has on his practice range. You think its safe to shoot them into it until I get the arrows flying well?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Anyone getting ready for deer season?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:20:42 am »
I have everything already.  I just sit around and watch a Bambi DVD. ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:26:29 am »
 Ryan, I shoot obsidian tips alot and what I've found works well is the walmart styrofoam blocks. You can pick them up for about $15. They don't last for more then a season but for dialing in the stone points they are great. The only points I've broke has been from hitting the other arrows.
 Hunting season here starts the last weak of august so we are getting close. Trying to get some more points finished up and doing lots of scouting ;D There is still snow in some of my favorite spots this year, ::)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:31:11 am »
Elk and deer open the first of September.. I am already packed... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:49:47 am »
Ryan, I've been using the big foam targets like at Pappy's for years. Get them from the same guy. He usually comes to the Hickory shoot each year and used to come to Elberton. I shoot all my arrows with stone and trade points into it and they come out cleanly.
  I have one new bow ready for hunting season...the yew bow I posted recently. If my new osage static seasons enough by mid Sept, I will hunt with it also. I have hardwood and cane arrows tipped with stone that will come along with me. The next thing I have to get is the money for club dues, out of state license and gas. :o :( The way things are going I might be hunting only around the house this year.  :(
   I will start practicing specifically for hunting season soon. For now, I'm just getting my form and concentration down so when the time comes, all I have to do is concentrate on that "SPOT"!!!      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »
Yep!  Skrill season opens up mid-august and deer season sept. 6th! 

Since the price of meat has sky rocketed.....I have full permission from the Mrs. to hunt my @rse off this year and to fill ye ole freezer! ;D
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »
I have a mule deer doe and a pronghorn doe tag. That hunt starts Friday.  ;) If Im not ready yet I guess I wont be. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:50:05 pm »
I've gotten four new primitive arrows done in the past week..took 'em out and shot 'em several times last week with a maple bow that I'm finishing up.
so heck yea I'm gettin' ready !!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 02:28:39 pm »
I keep giving all the points I finish off to kids, so I have to keep making them.   ;D  Oh well, I should have a few done by October.  If not, I have lots of trade points. 

Okie1 and I keep trying to make a shop date to work on bows.  I'm hoping I have all my domestic duties done this weekend  :'( so I can get something started.  Otherwise I'll be back in the wood with the old recurve.   :-\

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

fireman_3311

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:58:54 pm »
Going after antelope, the last week of august, and Mo bow season opens sept 15, so yea, I B gittin ready!!!!!!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:02:36 pm »
yeah, im getting this years dacite points made up. i am happy with my bow selection for this year.   i'd say i am almost ready but its still a ways off til mid sept.  got my cane arrows together with the exception of the points hafted. i wont choose the actual points until 2 weeks before. ready? oh yeah.
tired of waiting? even more so.

i have a solid block of styrofoam for shooting my stone into. i just shoot them 2-3 times to make sure they fly nice and consistent at 15 yards and thats it.   oh and dont shoot more than one at a time or you will break the points on each other.  nothin makes me more mad than ruining a good point over good shooting. ;) - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 05:12:11 pm »
I'll be ready with my osage bow and cane arra's (if I ever get them done). But I've been practicing everyday with the ol' carbons.

Mike I've been working on the cane shafts and have about 10 straightened now with another 6 to go. One way or another we'll get you a bow finished before season opens. I hope you have a couple of stone points to put on these cane arra's. If not i've got some bandsaw blade I've been making trad points from. 

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 06:46:56 pm »
Trying to. Need to buy a new mesh cutting wheel to make some trade points, and need to make up a new longbow (but I don't have any seasoned wood- I'll probably wind up trading for some off here soon enough).

But this will be the first season I've actually got arrows ;D!! I'm psyched ;).

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 08:02:38 pm »
Well, it looks unanimous - most of us have bows stacked in the corners but ain't ready yet cause we need to finish one more before the season :D. Sheesh, I'm in the same boat. Have my huntin bow or three to finish, plus some trade bows "I gotta get out" and arra's. Still got a month  till bird season - "dove" and am working on some arra's for that. The list goes on and on...........
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:02:24 pm »
I've got most of my cedar arrows ready with broadheads mounted.  Those are for "Ryans" bow.  I still need to haft some stone points on some cane arrows and shoot them a few times.  I'm also planning to hunt with a little 60" sinew backed recurve some.   I have some shafts straightened and ready to fletch for it, but been to busy to get it done.
  As for practice, man it's been hot lately!  Most of my shooting has been from about 12 yards in my basement. As soon as it cools down a little, I'll start trying to get in some serious practice.
  Anybody here have enough actual  experience hunting with knapped points, to say whether glass is tough enough to hunt with?  I wouldn't mind trying to kill a deer with an old mason jar, ;D the bottoms knap real nice and look cool too.
    Paul, have you fixed up any of them footed arrows we traded for yet?    Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.