Author Topic: Anyone getting ready for deer season?  (Read 14647 times)

Offline PeteC

Re: Anyone getting ready for deer season?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 09:08:04 pm »
I'll start hangin' stands in 2 weeks,and I  need to build one ground blind.I've narrowed down my choices of the bows that'll go to the woods with me ,and I've got several" perfect shootin'" arrows ready for sharpenin'.Our season opens in 8 weeks,and countin'.      God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 10:15:05 pm »
Yeah I'm pretty much ready. Just finishing the last of my cane arras. Just got a new quiver trying to get use to it now. Pulled out the 3d target and have been giving heck.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 10:37:11 pm »
  I'm always ready. I just don't know when I'm going to get to go. I've got to go back to Brazil in two weeks. Our season starts here in late Sept. If I'm gone then and get home and it's over, I'll call a friend in another state. Hopefully, with the friends I've met on here, I can come up with a place to hunt. But, I do have plenty of hunting utinsels ;D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 01:26:00 am »
  Anybody here have enough actual  experience hunting with knapped points, to say whether glass is tough enough to hunt with?  I wouldn't mind trying to kill a deer with an old mason jar, ;D the bottoms knap real nice and look cool too.

It ought to work just like obsidian, and that works great.  I say give it a go.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 08:50:02 am »
The pressure is off with my cane arrow's other then hafting the killing end on and getting them to fly. Looks like this year the acorns and persimmons are going to be plentiful...biggest problem will be which tree they happen to prefer dining under at any one time. Will be hanging stands probably in a couple of weeks. Lookin' forward to it! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 10:26:05 am »
Eddie, your welcome to come up and chase some PA whitetails with me if you want.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 12:20:08 pm »
yeah im psyched, i got my selbow that im using shootin good, just gotta put on broadheads and fletchings to my ash arrows....my dad has his recurve ready and arrows that just need to have the broadheads glued on....im ready for the long days of bein in the woods alone...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 04:24:59 pm »
  Thanks Ryan. Might be giving you a call.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 06:07:22 pm »

"I gotta get out" and arra's. Still got a month  till bird season - "dove" and am working on some arra's for that. The list goes on and on...........
Paul:  You making Flu Flu's for Dove?   :o  Dang, that's got to be tough. I think I'll stick to my German SxS 16 gauge for those.  I have a hard time putting lead on target, let alone a stick.   :'(

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 06:14:45 pm »
im working on what i think is wild rose shafts. dont know if they will come out good enough for hunting, but im gonna try it. trying to come up with something to use for points, caint knap stone, so i got to come up with something els. thinking of "borrowing" a skillsaw blade. ::) anyway, other than that i jist got to get me another string for my elb and figure out how to do pat's camo deal with oil and charcoal. good luck fellers!
lets just shoot it

snakebow

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 07:49:05 pm »
I'm ready any time of the year. I have my arrows from last year so I don't have to mess with them. I'll start shooting them soon. Since deer season does'nt open here in Mt. till the first sat. in sept., I have a little time yet.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 09:37:30 pm »
Eddie: If you need a place to hunt, give me a holler - I'll put ya in the woods, just need to figure in gas  :-X :-X.
 Shannon: I've not yet had the chance to work on the footed arra's, have been too busy with the cane and other things - all good things come with time. I shall not taste the wine before it's time ;D.
 Hey Mike, yep - I'm gonna try bow and arra for dove this year. Sounds like fun, and if I come home with a mess it'll be yet one more simple pleasure to think back on. I ain't countin my chickens yet, but if all works out I'll be sure and post the story :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 10:00:33 pm »
Way to go Paul.  Im going to try grouse with my bow.  I found a spot with quite a few the other day.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 08:39:27 am »
Cowboy, I'd recommend shootin' those dove while they're feeding on the ground...if you're capable of getting a mess of um with your bow while flying, you need to go on the road performin' trick shootin' events! ;D That would be better then Byron Ferguson shootin' aspirins out of the air! ;D ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 07:43:29 pm »
I guess I got the first one this year.  A mule deer doe about 2 hours into my antlerless hunt.  I used my knife I got from mullet in the Christmas trade to skin it.  ;) That has got to be the nicest skinning blade I have ever used.  Thanks Eddie.  ;D Next week I will try to add an doe pronghorn.  Sorry no pictures.  Justin

SW Utah