Author Topic: Did a little Calf creekin today.  (Read 13547 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Did a little Calf creekin today.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 11:09:47 am »
Nope, your on the right side Shannon but the line goes from the center of notch to about half way up the point almost two inches long. I hated to mention that glue Mike but it's been so long since I've knapped I thought I could slip that in there unnoticed ::). I'll tackle a peice of that obs next David - just so many projects going on at one time.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 02:55:42 pm »
hey cowboy good looking point,,,,do we work out of the same shop?your set up looks juat like mine, tore all to heck,looks like some drunk heafer ran through it.......mooooo

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 04:39:29 pm »
Yeah! Tell me about it. Did get to work on cutting down and preping some oceanspray to make a short bow out of! we shall see how it come out in 3 to 4 months!

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 07:34:20 pm »
Thanks James, and I hear ya - I been meanin to clean that up ::). I don't imagine my shop has near as much neat stuff in it as yours does though :).. I thought ocean spray was for arra's David, never seen one before - guess they get bigger than I thought. Got any pictures? Here's another one (and it aint obs but I just love my rocks ;D). You'll all be glad to know that it didn't suffer any broken shoulders in the chippin process. I want them notches to go deeper but will have to work on my thining a little - these are just over 3/4".

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 07:46:08 pm »
Whatcha talkin about Paul? I cant event get close to that yet!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 07:47:52 pm »
PS: Oceanspray, if ya know where to look, can get up to 3" in diameter. Mine was about 1-1 1/2" thick and boy is this stuff dense, even when wet!!!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 11:18:26 pm »
Nice points Paul!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

PeteDavis

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 11:29:58 pm »
Exceptional. What region does the Calf Creek point come from, and from what time span? PD

Offline cowboy

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 12:08:09 am »
Thanks Alan.
 Pete: Andice and Calf Creek's are virtually the same thing. Andice are from the early Archaic period, 8,000 to 5,000 years before present. Calf Creek's are from the same time only from mid to later Archaic - I don't know how they differenciate the two. Andice is present for most of the southern central US, from OK, AR, West La, and most of TX. Calf Creek's stretched into the Northern Central US - MN, WI, IA, IL, and Indiana.
 Cool stuff but not all that old :).

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 12:30:05 am »
I have a friend who found a Calf creek about the size of the first one you posted.  He found it in a creek bed a few years ago. I wish I had a picture to show you. The best I remember it was a darker color, maybe blueish grey. but the cool part was it had what looked like a lightning bolt running diagonally across it. I remember seeing it and was just amazed by it.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 12:42:06 am »
Wish I could see that thing Shannon - I'd love to find one. Down south I-35 here thiers a town by the name of Andice and it's in flint and arrowheads everywhere country - gotta be where the first one was dug up. I gotta do a little more rock kickin down thata way ;).

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 12:46:06 am »
Confession is good for the soul.  You got it off your chest and then look what you did.  Bested yourself.  Those are great Paul.  I thought I'd get some knapp'n done this week, but never broke out the tools.  Bummer.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 12:50:21 am »
That is absolutely bummer Mike, thout should meditate as often as possible ;D.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:12 am »
great point as usual brother, looks like you got plenty of wood to work too... I will have the points you made on my arrows this fall.. along with some Joe made me... hope to make  meat with them ... keep your chin to the wind ..Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline cowboy

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 01:08:09 am »
Thanks Mike! And if you or Joe either one make meat, be sure and post the story - would love to hear it :).