Author Topic: Stone Age Witch Hazel (updated 1/18)  (Read 172164 times)

Offline Pamunkey

Re: Stone Age Witch Hazel
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 04:37:06 pm »
Very cool thread!  I've been wanting to try making an all-stone tool bow for some time now, and this thread has given me new inspiration.  BTW, I had the opportunity to handle a witch hazel bow made by Scott Silsby a few years back.  He handed it to me with the instructions to just hold it by one tip with my first two fingers plus my thumb.  When he let go of his end, I was able to hold it horizontal to the ground with just those fingers; really light wood, in addition to being tough.  Pretty much all of the witch hazel I've seen growing has been too twisted for a bowstave, but Silsby got very secretive about where his "special stand" was located.

Will

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 10:20:34 pm »
No work on the bow tonight.  Hopefully I'll get it to floor tiller by the weekend.  I'm definitly lucky to have Jamies help on this project.   The stone tool work is much toughter than with steel(No suprise there).  Although it's tougher,  so far it's much more peacefull and enjoyable.  I guess because I'm not too worried about a "perfect" wall hanger.   Maybey because it feels more natural ?   Dingleberry so far I would say that all the steps presented took me about 7 or so hours?  There was a lot of B.S. ing while working not to mention eating and turkey chasing. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 08:04:17 am »
Gonna be a great build along Rick, I think this should take priority over any and all honey do's ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 09:47:33 am »
Cool build along,I agree with the rest on the teacher,can't wait to see the finished bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 08:11:06 pm »
dude this is going to be so cool wathcing you do this with stone tools. 8) 8)

you guys already got me wanting stone tools si that i can give it a try on a sapling

tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 10:42:11 pm »
I am enjoying this imensely. Keep it coming more more.R.C.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 11:44:10 pm »
OK- I did some late night bow work by lantern light last night.  I noticed a end check of about 2" at one end of stave.  I went into full panic mode and decided I needed to get this thing stabilized and drying nicely.   In order to do that I needed to reduce the thickness of the stave.   In a policy of full disclosure I have to admit that I did something not so primitive.  I sealed the ends and back right away with wax.  I figured it was better than losing the stave.  Next time I will have some prim. sealer to use right away.

First I made a gauge by scoring an antler tine at the depth I wanted.  Then holding the mark at the high point of the crown, I marked the wood with a piece of burnt wood blacking out any wood I wanted to remove.  Using the same tools as in the previous step I chopped away.  Starting at the edges leaving a "pyramid" at the center of the belly.  Then removing that.  Wanting a D style bow, I reduced it to about 3/4" the whole length slightly thicker in the center.  Kind of thick, but it was bending, and the wood was really pulling not shaving.  So I figured it would be best to get to closer dimensions when the wood would shave not pull. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 12:22:36 am »
Bow building the hard way Rick - I love it!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 07:58:57 am »
Man thats dedication or is that addiction ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 03:25:53 pm »
nice hat ;D

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 10:59:18 pm »
Dana- I don't know either, I guess just stupidity.
Jamie- The head lamp is my savior,  I can pretty much do anything nocturnal (just ask my unhappy neighbors) ;D
I got the stave "clamped down"  to another one with lots of natural reflex, I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Traverse City, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 11:24:53 am »
Looking good! Wouldn't worry about wax, naturally present.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 04:18:23 pm »
Wax not primitive?  Granted, not in North America, but bees have been around a very long time...  It doesn't take very long chewing on that sweet honeycomb before you realize you end up with a nice wad of wax...

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 04:47:13 pm »
Sweet little project.  You better be careful what you let Jamie teach you.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 10:05:59 pm »
I agree about the wax being prim,  just not the way I got it..... A can of Thoroseal. ;D.
Sweet little project.  You better be careful what you let Jamie teach you.  ;) Justin
You're right everytime I meet up with him I got something else that I just have to try.

I strapped the hazel down to a Black Walnut stave that I had.  It had a ton of natural reflex so I thought that maybey if it dried on this stave it would hold some reflex?  We'll have to wait to see.  I used some elk and deer buckskin straps with some pieces of viburnum(not to worry Jamie not the ones you gave me.) and one of my kids lincoln logs.  I just made a small "knot" and wound it up to tighten.  The elk worked much better because the skin was thicker. 

Now I have to wait for it to dry.  I was going to do it all naturally, but I think in the name of moving this build along forward I will put it in the hot box after a couple of weeks air drying.  I know this is definitely not primitive, but drying is drying and I want to get working.  What do you guys think?  While waiting I'm going to attempt a dogbane string.  I'll post this as well since a bow isn't much good without a string.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:10:42 pm by ricktrojanowski »
Traverse City, MI