Author Topic: Stone Age Witch Hazel (updated 1/18)  (Read 172159 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Stone Age Witch Hazel (updated 1/18)
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2009, 06:38:38 am »
Well hunting season is over and I'm ready to get going on the bow again.  I should have just worked on bows and not hunted.  I would have killled the same number of deer.... NONE.  I'm starting the tillering process removing wood off the belly and shaping the limbs a bit more.  I still have to heat straighten again to align the tips but this time I will wait until it is closer to final tiller.  Just using obsidian flakes.  Not using the foot vise because I feel I have more control just scraping over the knee.  The flakes cut fast although they dull quickly.  The foot vice worked good for rougher work but I like this better at this stage. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Caveman

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2009, 08:38:16 am »
how do you plan to figure the draw weight. I've seen people use rigs and pullies but even though they invented the wheel, I'm pretty sure primitives didnt get that far.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2009, 09:13:24 am »
Looks good so far Rick, glad yer back at it :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2009, 09:54:59 am »
Draw weight   UGGGG ARGGG PLENTY STRONG !! ;D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2009, 11:27:17 am »
if it shoots an arrow past your feet its strong enough

actually after youve made afe wbows you can get pretty good at gguessing draw weight.
most bows i have made have been from 45-55 lbs,now i can get close enough to that during tillering,the last bow i made never even seen scale
i would say that one shhots about 45lbs.the one i am making now dodnt even get any long string tillering,all floor tiilering untill i could get it braced(just as an experimment)tiller looks good so far too.i'll bet that at the 16" its pulling right now its at about 65lbs
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

salad days

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2009, 08:39:05 pm »
Looking good Rick. :o Nice bow too. ;D

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2009, 09:47:29 pm »
Caveman-  I'm going to go by feel for the final draw weight.  I'm hoping to make it come in about 45-50#.  I'm planning on floor tillering until its pretty close feeling.  Then stringing and just going by eye.  The tillering tree is on standby for this one. ;) 
A side note ....I talked to Jamie today and told him about my obsidian dulling problem.  He suggested using some chert or flint instead.  So I busted up a big cobble of some kind of flint that I had on hand.  I got  a bunch of nice scraping blades (in spite of my complete stupidity when it comes to busting stones).  I gave a few of them a try tonight. :o  Much better.  I wish I had tried this sooner.
Traverse City, MI

Caveman

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 01:05:19 am »
Can anyone give me any idea of how to identify rocks for knapping? I'll make a post with some pics of what I got within the next day or so. I've heard of all these rocks to use but I have no idea how to indentify them. I may even be using them right now and not know it. I ask because I'm about to start a bow myself using only abo tools.

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2009, 10:21:46 pm »
I've been scraping a little here and a little there every night and it's starting to bend quite a bit now.  These pics are a bit redundant but I'm getting excited about the progress so I thought I would post them.   Also is a picture of some of the new scraper blades which are working much better than the obsidian for this stage.  She has quite a bit of prop. twist but I can't turn back now.   I am already thinking about my next stone bow and I'm not even close to finished on this one... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2009, 06:58:52 pm »
nice job man. what do you plan on the draw weight?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2009, 06:26:09 am »
I am hoping to get it around 45# at 27"  I'm just about to get back to it.  Just finishing my sons bow.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2009, 09:40:41 am »
Very nice report on your bow.  I like the patience you displaying on this project.  I don't have that kind of patience!   Great job!  I look forward to see the finished project.
Wells
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2009, 12:12:13 am »
Thankyou Wulamoc.  I have lots of patience but little time.  I hope to live long enough to see the fished bow. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2009, 07:55:10 am »
Great thread you have going, even if you are elderly when you finish :) Maybe your son can take over one day.

A stone bow is definately something I'd like to tackle one day, Rick. Thanks for showing the way with your own work.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline TRACY

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2009, 11:19:45 am »
Looking good Rick. It looks like you are a cycling nut like myself(posters) and so this should be a piece of cake! ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956