Author Topic: Hickory backed Ipe. Another full draw added  (Read 6872 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: Hickory backed Ipe. Another full draw added
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 01:30:49 pm »
Great looking bow. Wish I could shoot it. Tiller looks good in either picture and I really like the lake background. Congratulations on a fine bow.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 01:44:22 pm »
You could get the outer limbs bending more on the next one if you want.  This design is actually fairly fast as long as the wood is durable enough, and Ipe is.  The only other concern is hand shock.  If you tiller it to look just like this then start narrowing the non bending outer limb until it just wants to start bending, (similar to a holmegaard style bow) you can get amazing performance. There is nothing wrong with this one though.  You should be mighty proud of it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

grantmac

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 02:28:57 pm »
Is that from the Ipe I sent you? You're making better use it it then I have so far thats for sure ;D

Rich Saffold

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 02:55:56 pm »
Red Dwarf, I spent a lot of time in your region when I was younger..used to hanglide off that mountain above Kaslo a lot...There's some big Grizzly's in that area, having seen one up close...I recently shipped a bow to Nelson...

Rich-

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 03:14:36 pm »
Justin

Are you saying that as I get the tips bending more handshock will increase?

Grant

Yes this is some of that Ipe that you kindly picked out for me.  Thanks again

Rich

I am about 15 minutes out of Nelson.. a great part of the world. There was a really nice grizzly taken not far from there this spring. Lots of bears in this area. What type of bow did you send up, I only know of one other trad guy around here?

Thanks for the help

Red Dwarf

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 03:49:17 pm »
Red Dwarf, It was a youth bow that I sent to a lady who runs a restaurant there.. I guess the owner visited friends  here (Santa Barbara) who I had made bows for and wanted one for her son.

I spent 5 summers traveling around BC and  would like to go back when the time is right...

Usually getting the outer limbs bending more lessens handshock, but I bet your bow doesn't have any..I make similar styles especially for those who like to slay foam targets.. ;D

Rich