Author Topic: Ontario bear hunt  (Read 7964 times)

Offline Mattco

Ontario bear hunt
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:21:02 pm »
I tried posting this a couple of days ago and screwed it up, so I'm trying again.

I was able to shoot this black bear with a osage static recurve that I made this year. The hunt was in Ontario Canada near the Ottawa river. The bow is 47lb @ 27". I used a cedar, self nocked arrow with a Eclipse broadhead. The bear weighed 350lb, had a prime pelt with asmall white spot on the chest.
Ryan, you may recognize the bow as it is the same one I used at your Presque Isle shoot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Badbill

Re: Ontario bear hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:36:11 pm »
Beautiful Bear, nice job! ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:52 pm »
  That's a beautifull bear, I envy you. That is one of my hunting goals, dreams that I haven't fullfilled yet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:05:35 pm »
  That's a beautifull bear, I envy you. That is one of my hunting goals, dreams that I haven't fullfilled yet.

Go visit Dana during Season.....The U.P. is full of big Blacks.....my Brother in Law got a Monster Boar two years ago
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:07:35 am »
Nice job Badbill,mighty fine looking bear.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 08:32:25 am »
Great bear.  Hope to do the same.  Heading to Canada today for moose and bear!  Looks like a beautiful bow.  How long was your shot?  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:40:23 am »
Beautiful bear, cool looking bow. How about some details about the hunt. Thanks for sharing.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mattco

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:02:34 am »
Thanks for all the comments. The shot was 14 yards quartering away - poor blood trail, it took almost 3 hours trailing in thick brush - found both parts of broken arrow. The camp was the Mountain River Lodge in Deep River Ontario Just north of ALgonquin. Fishing was also great. Lots of Walleye and Northern Pike. I hope to go back and try taking a bear with a stone broadhead.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:43:38 pm »
Very nice Matt.  You were only about 1 hours drive away from me.  Lots of Bears up here.  If you do come back with stone points make sure you don't tell anyone because they are not really legal in Ontario
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 02:53:51 pm »
Great looking bear! Congrats on a job well done... ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 11:12:10 pm »
Very Nice sir! thats awesome, beautiful bow and a nice boar bear too...great medicine
Modern Day Tramp

Offline paulc

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 10:03:56 am »
Hey Mattco, can you tell us a bit about where you hit the bear?  And did you check out the internals to see what kind of damage your arrow did?  3hrs of tracking sounds like a drag!  How far did the bear get before it fell?  I gut shot a doe last fall with my rifle and spent 2.5hrs failling to find her...I like it when animals drop real quick:-)   TIA, paul

Offline Mattco

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 10:58:34 am »
The arrow struck the bear just behind the right front leg as it was quartering away. The arrow was stopped when it hit the left front leg. The arrow penetrated the liver and lung. Massive internal bleeding. The bear traveled less than 100 yards - the thick fur stopped the blood from exiting. It had gotten dark so most of the trail was found with flashlights.

Offline paulc

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 01:20:48 pm »
tracking a possibly wounder bear with flashlights!  Did you have a firearm for backup??  I would have been very tempted to return with the daylight.  Great shooting, great penetration too.  If you can take an 350# bear with a 47# bow surely I can take a hog with my bow at 52#...now if I can only find a hog.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 12:47:55 am »
Nice Bear Matt. Ya, I remember that bow. Nice shot!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....