Author Topic: Sinew Backed, Double Curve Bow  (Read 93033 times)

Papa Matt

Re: Double Curve Bow Build Along (with pics)
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 11:46:20 am »
Brothers, I read somewhere once that tips were often deflexed on NA bows, so that they could be strung for longer periods of time without causing the bow to tire out and take set. The example was given that NA bows for protection were often kept in the lodge or tipi strung in periods of fear of attack from other tribes, and the last thing you want to do when the warriors from an enemy tribe attack you at 4am is have to string your bow. This way, you leave it strung all night and just grab it in time of need, because in early morning surprise attacks, seconds count. I doubt that hunting bows would have been purposele deflexed, but the article definately talked about bows for protection being that way. And I'm sorry, I know you're dying to know where I read that, but I don't remember at all. That was back in the days when I was first starting out and read anything and everything I could find on bows because I didn't know a forum like this even existed where I could come and get info in one place.

~~Papa Matt

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 11:50:28 am »
Thanks Papa Matt...makes sense to me. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Papa Matt

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:16 am »
No problem, Pat. Just sharing what I know for the benefit of all. I'm glad we can all learn from things like this, thanks for doing the buildalong.

I noticed on your list of woods that hold the handle reflex well, you have Elm before Locust. Does this mean that for a double curve style, you prefer Elm over BL?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 03:32:55 pm »
Papa Matt. Nope, I do not prefer elm over locust.  Elm just seems to hold its shape better.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Papa Matt

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 03:35:23 pm »
It does? I have never worked with Elm before, and have only worked with a few BL. Is it easier then, for an Elm to take less set than a BL, all esle being equal? I would have guessed Elm would hold shape less, being a white wood. Enlighten me.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 04:43:48 pm »
Papa Matt, overall I think Black Locust is superior to Elm as a bow wood.  That said, I tend to make the kid's bows out of elm because of the abuse the bows take.  Elm bends extremely well with steam and I can induce quite a bit of reflex into the bows...or whatever shape I want.  And after taking a lickin', elm keeps on kickin' when locust would have broken.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:59:58 am by jackcrafty »

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 04:57:01 pm »
Here's a couple links to an elm bow made by Marc St Louis (hope he doesn't mind).

http://marc.stoneflake.net/Selfbows/Elm%20Recurved%20D%20Bow/Combination%20Braced.jpg
http://marc.stoneflake.net/Selfbows/Elm%20Recurved%20D%20Bow/

The bow has maitained 3" of reflex.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Papa Matt

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 05:04:01 pm »
Pat, I think my question really is about set. All else being equal, both woods dried out as good as can be, same optimal shape for each wood, which in your experience takes less set...the Elm? Sorry for all the questions. I've just never really worked with Elm, and have a couple staves lying around. So I'm trying to feel for the best style of bow for them.

~~Matt

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 05:08:26 pm »
Hmmm...The simple answer is that I don't know.>:D

I think BL would take less set before breaking.....but BL will break before elm does.  Does that help? ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Papa Matt

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 05:23:26 pm »
Yeah, I think I gotcha.  ;)   And I very much appreciate you responding to all my questions. I just can't decide whether to make a longbow from my Elm or a shorter style, like maybe one of these double curves. I recently made a BL double curve, sort of by accident. I wish I could post pics, I feel so guilty enjoying all the pics from other guys on here and then not holding up on my end by never posting any and always typing pure text. But the BL that I recently made into a double curve by accident, is somewhat longer than the traditional plains style, it's 66" NTN and had a nice ammount (about 3.5") of reflex in it naturally when it was cut. I once saw what was described as a "navajo style" bow, with a very long handle, it looked to me about 10" fade to fade, and I assume it bended slighly. So I designed my 66 incher with that in mind and it has about a 10" handle, which is where all the reflex is stored and it bends slightly. The bow is made and done, I just haven't shot it yet because a while back I broke 3 bones in my shooting hand and it's still not quite strong enough to pull it all the way back. I estimate it will be about 65# at 26". But when braced at 4.5" it looks like a longer version of what you're making here, with the reflex in the handle more spread out (over the 10 inches, instead of in a V).  Anyway, the point is, I sort of already have a double curve, and the Elm staves are calling my name. I guess I might go longbow style with them.

Offline donnieonetrack

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 05:26:05 pm »
Patrick,

Thanks for the build-a-long.  I'll be watching this closely, love the short native bows!!!!!

Haven't cut the wood yet, but should be any day.

Thanks again,

Donnie
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 11:21:55 pm »
Hi Folks,  I'm waiting eagerly to follow this build along.  In the meantime,  I just had an idea for another reason that te double curve may have been favored by groups that were largely horse archers.  I've noticed that low braced bows are a lot easier to string.  I have trouble imagining how a heavy weight bow could be strung while on horse back, but a low brace height would have helped.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 11:39:46 pm »
Hey Papa Matt,

I'll help you out with the photos.  Just send me a couple of your favorite bows and I'll photograph and post them for you.... >:D >:D >:D

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Papa Matt

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 09:38:04 am »
 :D

Offline Postman

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 10:42:10 am »
Nice bows -  - keeping my eyes open for a chunk of wood with that initial shape. What is the  draw length / pounds on the 47"  and what are you trying for on the 49 incher?

Also, do you think shooting 3 under is adviseabe with these types?
Thanks for the buildalong, and love the pic of the young archer ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA