Author Topic: Steaming??'s  (Read 5923 times)

Offline YewArcher

Re: Steaming??'s
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 09:52:37 am »
Whitewood, I have heard that many composite makers tiller there bows with a SMALL amount of steam and that that works ok. With enough steam to bend  alimb I am not sure of a few things:

1. If the sinew will ever get its original integrity back because it has been cooked.

2. I am not sure that the bow will even retain the reflex you put into it. Usually when a bow is well shot in and finished tillred it does not like to hold a shape that yu heta into it.

3. The linene over the sinew may be a problem because it most liklley has trapped moisture between it and the sinew.

Seems like an awfull lot of trouble to make a 4 year old bow better. I would invest my time and efforts on a new bow.

Steve

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Steaming??'s
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 12:24:03 pm »
Papa Matt, I stopped working on the bow...it's in storage. It was made from an ash board...not the best material anyway.

I've heated other sinewed limbs slightly (a few times) with no problems and have made minor corrections in limb shape, but I avoid heating sinew whenever possible.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr