Author Topic: another green survival bow  (Read 22654 times)

devilfishsix

another green survival bow
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:11:54 am »
well i have that green stave drying and i didnt find any bamboo so going to make another bow like te one before  D STYLE so ill post pics after ty

Offline Kegan

Re: another green survival bow
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:33:05 pm »
Very cool. I was thinking about survival bows today. A split of a branch, or a whittled stick would seem like really good ideas- just put your time into arrows. I'm looking forward to it :).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:31:12 pm »
You guys wanna try a survival bow comparison. Only one rule...branch or sapling no bigger than 2" in diameter. As in a survival situation, you use what you have available as far as tools go. Only competition is with yourself as how simple you can make it.
    I have thought about building one and even started a few but haven't completed one yet. I go out and cut a sapling and will start a new one from scratch.         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:40:06 pm »
im game,

just so happans that i have aquired some osage limbs that might be do the trick  ;)...  i will keep it as simple as this... the only thing i will use is my k-bar and some paracord...    how much time we got on it???  i was planing to use my afternoon on trying to split the two log halfs into some staffs...   but i might try to get to it a little latter tonight if i still feel up to it...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:17:07 pm »
Like Shooter, Ka-Bar seems like it'll be what I'll be using (a hatchet makes it a hatchet bow contest anyway).

Do we do arrows too, or jsut the bow?

devilfishsix

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:11:03 pm »
i actually challenged my bro to 3 arrows and a survival bow challenge he willpost here as well when he has finished mine as usual will be hazel and ill use my opinel which i made last with good luck all

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 12:55:40 am »
I think we should start with green, fresh cut wood so the playing field is level.  As far as time limit...how long can you go without eating. ;D To adjust for our busy lives, lets give it a month...November 20.  Lets each try to keep track of what tools and methods we used through the process.
   Devilfish, I hope you don't mind us stepping on your thread. If you do, we can start a new thread just for this event.       Pat
  ps. An arrow or 2 probably should be part of this process, too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 12:58:21 am »
This is gonna be cool!!....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline possum

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 01:14:07 am »
Well, my wife wants me to cut out all the little trees in my yard anyway.  Guess I'll try to give it a go.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 01:24:49 am »
Once a year I give myself 1 week to make a bow a few arrows and then kill something with it. So far i haven't killed anything but have completed a bow each year, I never successfully made a string yet and each year had to go buy some string. There is quite a bit of nettle in Mississippi, I may try that next time. I have had the best luck with red cedar as it dries out pretty quick and I can often find dead branches that havent decayed. Plenty of cane for arrows growing wild and road kill has supplied my fletching. I use a pocket knife and rasp as primary tools and will sometimes borrow a tool or two from my inlaws like an axe or something. Not skilled enough in knapping to attempt stone tools. Steve

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 04:19:14 am »
yup, sounds like fun! ;D
im in.

devilfishsix

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 06:03:46 am »
Im just glad u guys liked the idea, and no pati dont mind u stepping on my thread i am sticking to two tools for the job my hunt knife and my opinel they go every where with me so im pretty sure if i got in a spot id have me with me also a lenth of bailing twin or para i carry which is why i used it as string.

i dont know what sort of poundage these green bows wil make but i know i saw a vid the guy bound several staves to add the poundage if u was lost in canada orsomeother territory where u cant see the wood from the trees i guess the moor powerful the better. i doubt you could stop a maurauding bear with a 30 lb bow lol unless it was booboos little cousin\

well all have fun november the 20th to get em all in im going to enjoy this alot

Shooter_G22

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:57 pm »
hey,  Pat,

i i've got a couple of osage limbs and samplings that i got from a wood pile...   i dont know actually how long that pile has been there but i cut the bark off one yesterday but the thing must have been only bout 40" or soo and i tried carving down to much and it broke on me but the wood was still very green and it was very wet to the touch when i cut the bark off it....   i have some more limbs and saplings like this..  will this be ok to use or should i go cut a fresh sapling to make the survival bow???...  i will probably use one that i was planing on using one that still has the root on it and green leaves on the sapling but it did come from a tree pile...   i will probably get a few of the boys from the team to work on one this week end too...  i think this will be a great opertunity to do a good project with the boys and i'm stoked it going to be good...  and good i'm glad its going to be in  a month gives me time to try and get a scale to weigh the poundage but i'm not going to scale it till its complete...     and k-bar and paracord is all i'm going to use... very pumped up about this..

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 09:02:10 pm »
Pat, any rules on the string part? Survival so whatever we got on hand??.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 12:38:13 am »
I think the fewer rules the better. As with a survival situation you use what you have or can find.
 I didn't have a chance to go out and get a stave today but will try tomorrow. I'll be looking for a hickory sapling.  ;)       Pat