Author Topic: another green survival bow  (Read 22664 times)

Shooter_G22

Re: another green survival bow
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 11:49:45 pm »
another view..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shooter_G22

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:06 pm »
another view...

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 12:26:54 am »
if you were in a true survival situation, i believe that you would adapt to the bows shooting ability as your empty stomach would do a whole lot of encouraging for you!

if you are STILL worried about its speed or performance, just thin out the tips and take a little of the mass off of the outer thirds of the limbs.

you are right in an aspect that "when do we decide to quit" working a bow/or a survival bow?

you have a shooter,and it will serve the purpose right...so i think you are done.
nice job. expecially on the speed in which it was made.

thats is why i dont think it would be fair to put my bow against yours as the performance may be better due to a little more dry time and extra work time i put into it.

great job anyway!
jamie b

Offline Keenan

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 11:55:59 am »
 Wow just noticed this thread and I'm very impressed. You guys are doing great ;)  Neat idea and challenge. Got me looking around the yard at a few trees that need pruned. Wonder if there is something big enough and straight enough on the plum tree :o

Offline Kegan

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 08:18:18 pm »
Two hours of work with just my Ka-Bar. I've really watned to try to build this bow for a while, to see just WHAT I could get accomplished with jsut this knife. I'm very pleased so far.

I started off with a small sassafras. I dropped one with just an antler tine and some sandstone before, in my "No stone stone age bow" but this was much easier. However, it was standing dead, and after roughing it out, I decided the scrap it. I did, however, gather several multi-flora and a piece of sourwood for foreshafts. I cut them to length, and I think at least four of them will turn out to be good ones. I'll feltch them up with some turkey feathers that I've been finding here over the past couple months. I'll be drying/straightenning them over the next few days until they're straight and dry.

Anyway. I went back to the sassafras patch, and saw a small hickory over at the crest of the hill. I took it, instead, having seen the many wonderufl stone age bows Jamie Leffler's done, and knowing it's the best bow wood around here.

It's about 64" long, and so far the tiller is pretty balanced. Being so short, I'm shooting for 50-55#. But anyhting as low as 40-45# would be fine so long as I can get it to shoot quickly and hard enough (narrow tips and a tempered belly will help later). However, you can see the huge MESS that ants have done to the wood.

I was AMAZED at how simple and easy this was. The hickory bow took less than 45 mintues to construct, and I'm sure it will turn out to be a fine little bow.

jamie

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 08:29:56 pm »
is it ok if i jump in seeing as all i do are survival bows ;D. i'll start one this weekend. peace

Offline Keenan

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 11:14:59 pm »
 Rut Roe,, the survival bow master just stepped into the ring  ;D

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 11:18:34 pm »
I see this as a learning experience for us all. The more the merrier.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:03 pm »
yup! ;D

Shooter_G22

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 12:27:14 am »
ok gents,

i must be as lucky as they come...  or just fortunant that i work in a company where my uncle is the field supervisor and top of the todum pole...   how ever he calls me @ 0430 this morning asking if i was up and ready to go... i told him yea but i uselly dont get up for work till about 0500...

he laughs and said well get you a$$ up cuase were taking the day and going to our deer lease... ;D ;D :D ;)

just another furtunant fact that my boss is also the guy i hunt with ;)...   so were off to go check on feeder's and do a little bow hunting so i think man this is great i'll take out the survival bow and give it a chance to make some meat!!!

no luck on the making meat part we hunt in jackborro Tx and live in Dallas tx soo its a little over 2hr drive... soo we get to the land a little after sunrise and stumble accros serveral doe and a nice 10 pointer... but we were still in the truck and and were not able to get any type of shot off...

but over all i had a great time and i got to take the survival bow out to the field... and i got my cousin to take some pics of me and the survivor in full draw.. or close to full draw... but after looking at the picks i might have to rework the placement of the handle i didnt measure it when i built it up just used feel but i think is a little low..????  and i really like this survival bow it feels alot heaver draw then my 55# bear recurve 48" magnum...    but it sure does shoot sluggish and slow would that be becuase of the green wood???  or the paracord or is it design???  if i was in survival mood i know i could easily make meat with this bow... at least i would think the bow would do the job cant say much for the hunter...  :D    but if i wanted to improve on the bow which even in survival mood i think i would do that anyways after i had gotten something to eat with it and i would have a full belly and a little down time...
any suggestions   
here is pic in draw...

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 04:24:16 pm »
im sure it has alot to do with all the things you mentioned...
remember, the challenge was, survival bow,minimum tools, in a pinch.

and you hit it right out of the park with all three.

now if you want , so your bow does not take anymore unwanted set/stress, oil it up real good and leave it in the back seat of your truck or in the trunk of your car.

i bet it picks up speed,and pounds.

i also found out that the camo all purpose string they sell for "duck hunting lead sinkers" works great for longstrings, bowstrings in a pinch,and bowdrill fires and about 1000 other uses in the field.less stretch than paracord as well,and weight.the cost was like 3.99 for a 300 ft. roll.
great deal!

there is nothing wrong with that one, now if you are interested in making another/better one, and you see how quickly you made this shooter...take some mental notes, make another and fine tune your drying, thinning, finishing techniques...and you will not have the urge to pick up the glass bows you have as often or even at all.

nice "survivor"
jamie b

jamie

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 05:07:31 pm »
if a bow is roughed to floor tiller then set in a warm area you can expect it to season within a week or two. before drawing and finishing the tiller a bit of roasting over hot coals will dry it enough to draw it and not worry about excess moisture. its not a hot box but itll bring it to within reason. badger stated using deead cedar branches. probably the best quickie bow material in the woods. wether its one branch or two tied in the middle the stuff works great. it also dries out lickity split.

not that its important but rushing a bow even in a survival situation is unneeded. a bow would be the last worry on my list of worries.
peace

Offline Kegan

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 08:27:38 pm »
Anyone else think Jamie should have to use power tools for his survival bow? Give him a REAL challenege :D.

As for it being sluggish, all the slow bows I've made had four things in common: paracord string, wide tips, poor tiller, and yes, green.

Which brings me to my question. I've seen most of the best flax and milkweed strings made by spinning threads, then making the string like that. Could I get away with just cording some good milkweed up?

I'll also be starting a second, "back up" this weekend. This is just too much fun for just one :).

Shooter_G22

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 09:22:28 pm »
im with you kegan,

i might have to make several more of this type,  i found it to be alot of fun... and it brought me very found memories of when i was a kid although i dont think i ever had a real good stick bow back then cuase i dont remember ever really tillering on i just remember maybe carving the fat side down close to the thinner side for better ballance but i remember carving all around the stick, not just the belly... :D 

but if some of the boys from the paintball team come ove this weekend im going to for sure have them do this challange... ;D   and i might have to make another one ;D ;D 

i might shoot for a lighter wieght bow and maybe even shorter one for just rabbit and squirl... ;D

i m also going to put togather a bow and arrow field kit to add to my daypack/hydropack...
and going to issue to the boys or actually have then put one togather....

i have to say this is alot of fun...   

thanks....

devilfishsix

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 06:10:45 am »
the original bowde is drying a treat and im thinging and tillering it a bit more i got a better string and this bows now sending my might bamboo arrow down the garden alot faster and hitting the ground deeper iv got it drying in my bedroom unstrung next to the new one i plan to make aint done it yet though great job all nice bows made so far guys