Author Topic: Tapered shafting  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Kegan

Tapered shafting
« on: October 29, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »
I don't have alot of material to work with here to see what flied best, so I'd really apressiate a little input. I'm also through a batch of arrows I made up a few months ago, and am ready to start making some more. Unlike the last batch, these will be of, hopefully, better quality. One of the "extra steps" I was intending to take was to taper the shaft. Hill tapered the full shaft, and Jamie's said on here how the full taper shoots he uses shoot better (as well as a few accounts I've read elsewhere). With spine being mathed no matter what, would read-end tapered shafting, like those used by Pope and Young and modern POC users still have beneficial flight characteristics?

Wow. That's alot of words to ask whether full length or rear end tapering is better :P?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tapered shafting
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:58:29 pm »
Cane and hardwood shoots are naturally tapered. They will decrease the effective spine weight by 10# just because of the taper. Most rear tapered shafts today are only the last 10" or so. I don't know how that compares with full tapers. With tapered arrows you get better fletch clearance, better aerodynamics, better spine tolerance and more work to keep you out of trouble! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:29:11 pm »
Ever pro-tapered shaft person I have talked to mentions that spine weight becomes less critical.  They all agree narrow end to the back of the arrow, fat end forward no matter whether they are target shooters, hunters, flight shooters, or rovers. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:21:10 pm »
So there's no really big difference between full taper and jsut end taper? The birch is already stiff, so either works (they spine at around 90-110#). If most people seem to be able to get the benefiets with just a rear end taper, that would save me some time/"potential" gouging ;D.

...and more work to keep you out of trouble! ;D    Pat

But you make a good point Pat ;)...