Author Topic: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??  (Read 47833 times)

Offline ozy clint

water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:29:54 pm »
i've asked this question on a traditional forum and it seems that nobody knows if it's been done or if it is possible. is it possible to make a point/arrow combo tough enough for this task? what selfbow weight would you consider to be the minimum? primitive buffulo... sounds like the ultimate test of equipment. BTW if it's been done, any photos?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:29:01 pm »
  I've never heard of it in modern times and doubt the regulations in Africa would permit it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:54:01 pm »
hmmmm, interesting lets just say that it would be legal what it would it take to get the job done.
large tough beast of a creature with a bad enough attitude to charge and kill ya when hes in a good mood. rifles are hard enough to kill one of them with, so lets think about it for a bit here.

me first off o would learn too shoot one of them monster poundage warbows. get me some seriously heavy arrows for good penetration,have the greatest knapper alive
make some of ther finest points from the best rock and large enough to do the most damage and still allow good pentaration.
then i would hire me someone else to due the hunt for me cause i still wouldnt want to piss one of them off with a bow and arrow lol. i know how bad i would be shaking getting close enough to one of them to attempt it, my arrow would probably hit him in the hinnie when i aimed at the shoulder.

i think it has been done with wheelie equipment, inkow some of them co.'s make safari type equipment.
next time i talk to BJ from BJ outdoors i'll ask him. he does alot of africa guided hunts for his show.

yup this is gonna be a good thread i believe.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:08:48 pm »
then i would hire me someone else to due the hunt for me cause i still wouldnt want to piss one of them off with a bow and arrow lol.
                                                               tim
Tim, I volunteer, let me know when you get the hunt booked.  ;D

I know it has been done with Traditional equipment in the rescent past.  I would do it in a heart beat.  I want a 90# bow and I already have the 900 grain shafts.  They recommend a 2 blade so it can slide between the ribs so a stone point would be just great. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:11:35 pm »
 If I did it, I would want to be soooo, close, butt leaking, close, to make a good shot. :-\ And soooo, hidden that the big brute thought some big bug stung him. If not, I think you would be stomped in some deep Water buffalo Doo-Doo.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:14:34 pm »
Buffallo dont just toss ya! They toss ya, then when you land gore ya over 100 times then role thier shoulder into ya untill there is nothen left but goo and then wear the rest as bug repellent! Just gota love a beasty that goes in for over kill like that!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:17:38 pm »
 David, read above, about Doo-doo. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:54:52 pm »
ROFLMOA with tears in my eyes,those last couple of post were hilarious
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 03:51:58 am »
  Eddie I think your the Man for the job and Tiller can be the camera man . Just sneak in close,buttLeaking close, and pretend them big black testicles hanging there are your favorite kick bag. :o When you get his full attention then you just got to be able to out run Tiller ;D >:D

You will have the title for kicking the baddest ^&* around and David will get nationally recognized for the first point blank footage of the water buffalo doo doo dance :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:58:21 am by Keenan »

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:18:42 am »
looks like a world 1st may be up for grabs here!! i want in!! just have to learn how to make a biiggggggg selfbow and how to shoot it, how to knapp, how to make primitive arrows and i'm there. 10 years should do it. LOL. seriously i may have just set a 'before i die' goal. this would be one hell of an acheivement.

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 11:07:21 am »
Guys thats the funniest thing I've seen on here in a while I could just picture DT holding a camera bobbin around like crazy while he runs like mad and squeals like a little girl in a horror house.While someone else runs ahead of him yelling faster faster you fool you fool.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 12:00:51 pm »
I would be scared of a stone point failing on such a tough and dangerous beast. Now a heavy self bow and one of my heavy ashby style trade points on a heavy, and properly designen shaft should be do able.  Like Justin said I know it has been done with trad. gear.   This trade point is besides a 190 gr. grizlzly for comparison and weighs in at about 300 grains. 7/8 inch wide and three inches long, single bevel edge and made from a thick saw blade.      Kenneth
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Stone points killed mastadons dead as yesterday's news ! I would be afraid of steel failing. C'mon guys where is yer sense of adventure ? ;D ;D....bob

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 03:03:58 pm »
THE ELEPHANT STORY
Howard Hill has been asked many times to tell the facts on bagging an elephant with a bow and arrow.
Following is a list of questions and answers.
How many elephants did you bag?   3
How many arrows did it take for all three?   4
How heavy a bow did you use?   115 lbs.
Was this a hand drawn bow?   Yes
Did you use an explosive tip or poison on the tip of the arrow?   No
How long an arrow did you use?   41" with a special designed broadhead
How much did the broadhead weigh?   1700 grains
How much penetration did you get?   31.5"
Where is the best place to hit an elephant?   Between the ribs into the heart or lungs
How much did the elephant weigh?   10,000 lbs.

This is off the Howard Hill Archery web sight. I think if it can work on an elephant it should work on a water buffalo. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 01:37:09 am »

I agree with Deerhunter.  We can put a head cam on Eddie, and wire him up for sound, and put him in a pair of camo depends, and some sneakers, and spray him with cow in heat juice, and send him on his way.  Man that didn't make for a pretty visualization!Actually the Water buffalo's usually hit you with their chests first, then they go to hooking and mashing.  Of course if they see Eddie, and start in his general direction, and get a whiff of him, they might think it had already been done, some time back.  I know I sure wouldn't want to be twenty five yards from one with only a bow and arrow!  I would definitely leave a very distracting and confusing scent mark , as he arrived at the site,where I once was......

Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 09:45:52 am »
 ;D ;D ;D I wanna go watch this when y'all do it. Then I'll go hunt impalas or duikers or something that won't kill you.  ;D ;D I've seen several sets of footage of people killing cape buffalo with a compound bow, so I'm sure it could be done with a selfbow. Howard Hill and Fred Bear, Pope and Young, all killed a pile of big mean nasty critters with stickbows-I'd just as soon pop a buffalo with an arrow as a lion, grizzly or polar bear. Our great-great-great (add fifty more greats here) grandpas all dispatched big beasts that would stomp you into doodoo or eat you with stone points. A buffalo sure isn't any more tough or dangerous than a mammoth, mastadon, wooly rhino, aurochs, sabertooth cat, cave lion, short-face bear, or any of a number of big ill-tempered critters that they got their weekly groceries from. A big rhyolite point would get the job done, and it won't bend when it hits a rib like the metal point will.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.