Author Topic: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??  (Read 47871 times)

Offline otis.drum

Re: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2009, 06:30:17 pm »
buff can be taken with wood bows with wood arrows and metal points because it has been done.

Justin,
re your comment.
i know plenty of cape and asiatic buff have been taken with traditional gear, but, have cape buff been taken with selfbow or wood lam bows?

very interested to hear more? bow type? poundage? arrow weight?
Cape York, Australia

Offline Kegan

« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2009, 08:38:16 pm »
buff can be taken with wood bows with wood arrows and metal points because it has been done.

Justin,
re your comment.
i know plenty of cape and asiatic buff have been taken with traditional gear, but, have cape buff been taken with selfbow or wood lam bows?

very interested to hear more? bow type? poundage? arrow weight?

Howard Hill took a buffulo with a bamboo laminated longbow (about 90#), cedar arrows (about 700 gr) and a Hill head.

And if anyone is willing to help me pay for tags, I'm gladly try it >:D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:03:51 pm by Kegan »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2009, 09:25:53 pm »
I cant remember where I read them all, but Jeff Challacombe, Alan Perez, used lam wood bows. Paul Brunner used a 74# fg longbow, but used diamond wood arrows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2009, 12:44:43 am »
 I hear you Kegan if it has a heartbeat.. I will hunt it... the meaner the critter the more exciting the adventure..Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2009, 01:27:10 am »
Keegan, was the howard hill a bamboo backed wood lam, or bamboo lam glass bow? he was a strong man hey  :)

Justin, are you talking about Jeff Challacombe from oz? as he has not taken one with an all wood, but has seen one hit with a 90# osage selfy that was a mis hit and was finished by rifle.

i don't doubt at all that it can be done, just not sure if it has. plenty have been taken with glass bows.

Cape York, Australia

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2009, 11:32:11 am »
Keegan, was the howard hill a bamboo backed wood lam, or bamboo lam glass bow? he was a strong man hey  :)

Justin, are you talking about Jeff Challacombe from oz? as he has not taken one with an all wood, but has seen one hit with a 90# osage selfy that was a mis hit and was finished by rifle.

i don't doubt at all that it can be done, just not sure if it has. plenty have been taken with glass bows.

Same Jeff, I know better than to believe everything I read on the internet, but here is what he wrote.
"A couple of months ago I tested my 70# @ 26 1/2" draw longbow and 850 grain arrows (160 fps) on a freshly killed bull Buff. While I believe my set-up is sufficient for buff I wouldn't want any less performance from my bow and arrow combination.

I never got the opportunity for a shot at a bull buff but I shot a young one (360kgs) for meat for the property manager. They are a real challenge to hunt and I hope to go back next year (hopefully the wind won't be swirling all the time) and take a bull.

There has been quite a few Buff taken with laminated longbows in Oz over the years.

Jeff  "
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2009, 12:58:07 pm »

Hill used a glass lam bow for his elephants, but I'm almost certain he used his normal solid bamboo bow for his buffulo. He used this same bow for his lion and you can see that it is indeed all boo in the photos, and does not have the same fiberglass you see today (the limbs are about 1" thick!). Hill was getting on in his 50's at that point, so I doubt he would have been using a bow that was 25# heavier on an animal much smaller than his elephants.

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2009, 07:39:57 pm »
keegan, interesting. i'd like to know for sure.

justin, it is amazing what you can find on the internet. very often the truth is not present though.

the longbows jeff is talking about are normal glass longbows, not all woods. jeff also made a glass bow for ashby to use for his buff/broadhead/arrow testing. jeff doesn't know of anyone taking either buff type with all woods, only the mis hit i spoke of yesterday (which he feels confident would have done the job had it been on the money), and all the ozzy buff have been taken with glass longbows and recurves as far as i am aware.

clinton miller who started this thread has taken two buff with his glass bow now.

Cape York, Australia

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2009, 12:03:01 am »
Interesting, Jeff had mentioned osage.  ;)

The other buff was a farm buff that got out on the highway. It was supposedly shot with a boo backed hickory, but Im not so convinced on that one either.

Regardless, I have made super heavy Ipe arrows with stone points that will penetrate almost anything. I would shoot them at a buff. I would be happy to make you some wood shafts that weigh over 65 grams.

SW Utah

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2009, 07:36:19 am »
well i'd say (at least for water buff) that it may not have been done, and could be a first for someone that's still up for grabs.

i don't doubt it can be done with wood bows and arrows. i'm not convinced either way on stone points yet. would sure love to see someone do it  :)...after someone test proves them first  ;)

we don't get buff in cape york (except the odd couple in the bottom west corner) so i wont be hunting them for a while, but it certainly is a goal of mine. i will probably use one of my glass R/D bows unless i make a recurve before then. i do have a bamboo backed i made @ 62#, but i don't feel it's enough. i'll have to make a much heavier one to feel confident it will penetrate... and i'll be using metal heads for a start  :)

Cape York, Australia

Offline Kegan

« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2009, 10:57:57 am »
In all I've read, I really can't find alot on Hill's African hunts. Even Wild Adventures falls short. Heck, Tembo is more helpful... and it's been edited for Hollywood :P!

My offer to test all these theories out still stands by the way ;D

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »

;D
Cape York, Australia

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2009, 08:15:27 pm »

I would have long since beat you to it if the economy hadn't gone in the tank. Now it will have to wait a couple of years.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2009, 10:49:56 pm »
 I was just reading Woods and Water, a local magazine for hunting and fishing in Florida and Georgia. There is an add for a paid hunt here for free range water Buff's, mature, but not trophy, $995, trophy, starting at $1995 to 2500. Sure got me to thinking. If the stone point didn't kill it, I could still drop it with the .300 WinMag and put it in the freezer. Might be something to save up for.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2009, 11:24:18 pm »
There are several down there Eddie. I called one in 2008 about a hunt but they were booked full. It is cheaper to hunt water buff in Florida than to hunt Bison in Colorado.  ???

SW Utah