Author Topic: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??  (Read 47870 times)

Offline NTD

Re: water/cape buffulo with stone points........ has it been done??
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2009, 11:58:52 pm »

My offer to test all these theories out still stands by the way ;D
I would have long since beat you to it if the economy hadn't gone in the tank. Now it will have to wait a couple of years.

Is it crazy to think that we have enough guys here that might be willing to put together a "Send Justin on a suicide mission" fund.  I'd think that a lot of guys would be interested enough in seeing the results of primitve equipment on a water buffalo that we could do some kind of Forum sponsored trip.  Heck PA itself could get in on it and do a really neat article on the equipment built for the hunt and the end result.  Pipe Dream???  I don't have much to give but I'd donate my change jar for this.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:48:24 am by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2009, 12:07:52 am »
OK, no  gun  guide  along  and  I'll  chip  in:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2009, 12:18:21 am »
I'm with you Justin, if I had the chance I'd go in a hartbeat, Australia a much better destination than Africa
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2009, 01:40:49 am »

My offer to test all these theories out still stands by the way ;D
I would have long since beat you to it if the economy hadn't gone in the tank. Now it will have to wait a couple of years.

Is it crazy to think that we have enough guys here that might be willing to put together a "Send Justin on a suicide mission" fund.  I'd think that a lot of guys would be interested enough in seeing the results of primitve equipment on a water buffalo that we could do some kind of Forum sponsored trip.  Heck PA itself could get in on it and do a really neat article on the equipment built for the hunt and the end result.  Pipe Dream???  I don't have much to give but I'd donate my change jar for this.
I like the idea Nate. Florida isn't very expensive and has some huge areas of swamp with free ranging Asian water buffalo. You collect the funds for the hunt and I will get myself to Florida or Australia for the hunt. I do need a video man though.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stickbender

« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2009, 04:07:34 am »

Justin, I nominate Mullet for the camera man.  He has to wear his Kilt though...... ::)

Wayne

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2009, 06:32:42 am »

Justin, I nominate Mullet for the camera man.  He has to wear his Kilt though...... ::)

Wayne
Hey Eddie,
We had one running around in the neighborhood about 8 months ago.  Wanted posters (lost please call...) all over the place.  Not sure if they ever found it.  I'd leave the "metromale" camo at home though, you've been in this area the locals might get a bit friendly with a 30-30.  ::)

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2009, 09:19:27 am »
  Since I live down here I'm definitely going to think about it. Bjorn, no Kilt for me in the swamps, skeeters are too big.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2009, 11:42:05 am »
The whole trip ends with a massive PA barbecue :D

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2009, 07:16:21 pm »
Mullet - I'm an hour south of you, in Venice.  I'll be your backup cameraman for The Hunt Of The Century!   Did the combat cameraman thing back in 'Nam.  And I will wear my kilt in the 'Glades - - it's easier to remove the leeches that way!  :o  :-\
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:32:23 am by KenH »
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2009, 07:35:06 pm »
Mullet - I'm an hour south of you, in Venice.  I'll be your backup cameraman for The Hun Of The Century!   Did the combat cameraman thing back in 'Nam.  And I will wear my kilt in the 'Glades - - it's easier to remove the leeches that way!  :o  :-\

The leaches aren't that bad, I've  only seen one or two, and they are not terrestrial like you got to deal with I imagine (shudder!).  The Florida state bird however (Skeeter) can get so prevalent that it sounds like you are at an electric clipper convention.  It can get bad enough at my place in Ft. Myers, that it sounds like bunch of dunk maudlin cicadas.

Swamp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:22 pm »
  Ken, an hour south of me? You must drive like I do ;D. This is starting to shapen up.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45:59 pm »
Swamp - that is a buncha drunk maudilin cicadias ;D

You don't have a DEET dip tank on the lanai?

I didn't know we had feral Buff down here.  I respect the hell outa them, having see them in Africa.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2009, 12:04:33 am »
 They are not Feral. I found a place in Woods and Water. They charge $995 for a bull. We do have wild, 600# Sanbar deer, though. :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2009, 01:26:48 am »

Awww, c'mon Eddie, wear yer Kilt like a good laddie!  Just take your therma cell along.  I don't know if I want to hunt the swamps anymore now, huge pythons, cobras, nasty monitor lizards, etc, and 600lb. Sambar stags too?  Sheesh!  Can you shoot those?  I just might like to whack one of those, before, I go to Montana!  I know a place in Sebring that has sitka deer, water buffaloe, and some kind of european Elk, all in a fenced area.  Not exactly sporting.  I would just as soon, as pay them to kill it, and gut it, and butcher it, and package it up, than go out in the jeep, and stop, and bang, and go stand by it and have my picture taken, on my Real honest to goodness, Florida Safarri.  But, if I saw one in the swamp, well that just might be another story.  So can you shoot the sambar stags, that are feral?  If so, lets go get one!  I have a couple of 30-06's, and two .45/70's......Any of them should do the job!  Or did you want to go the Atlatle route? ;D

Wayne

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2009, 06:43:21 am »
Swamp - that is a buncha drunk maudilin cicadias ;D

You don't have a DEET dip tank on the lanai?

I didn't know we had feral Buff down here.  I respect the hell outa them, having see them in Africa.

Kinda like a sleepy drunk that can't really sing anymore so he humms along.  ;D Get enough skeeters and it feels like the world is vibrating.  :o

Not enough DEET in the world... Bug suit and a Thermacell is the only thing that will help you out when it's really bad.  Even then, I avoid it.  Thank goodness that only happens when the water comes up all the way and all of the eggs from last time hatch out.  Tapers off again after a few days.

No ferals here, just a half tame escapee every once in a long while.  Haven't seen one, but someone was looking real hard a while back.

Swamp
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:47:11 am by Swamp Bow »