Author Topic: hum - bitten off more than I can chew?  (Read 18422 times)

Offline n2everythg

hum - bitten off more than I can chew?
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:39:56 pm »
Think this belongs in this section. I know my wife and neighbors are gonna think I'm a crazy weird cave man that doesnt belong in this upscale suburban neighborhood...........

you know how one small thing almost always turns into something bigger than you thought it was gonna be when it first seemed like a good idea at the time?

well started out I was wanting to stitch up some mocs and maybe build a quiver. Couldnt find any decent leather that I liked anywhere. The stuff at tandy leather looked like plastic and wasnt too sure about any of the online stuff.

So started hunting round local for buffalo ranches thinking maybe I could get a hide. found a good deal but it grew bigger than a bread box. First I was just gonna get one green hide.... now keep in mind I have only tanned a couple squirrels, a wild cat and in the process of doing a skunk. but how much harder can a buffalo be anyway... it is only 1000 times the size of the squirrel...

well one hide was so cheap that I thought it would be cool to do one hair on and one hair off..... and then I started thinking about the head and horns... well it wasnt much more to get a recently chopped off head with all particulate matter attached....

So now I got 2 hides and a head... all green and gooey......

I live in the middle of suburbia so I figure this ought to get interesting real quick......

well the hides I can freeze til I'm ready to do something with 'em..... but what the frick am I gonna do with a bloody buf head... The wife will absolutely FREEK out if she opens up here freezer and finds a decapitated buff in there.... not that she is gonna be entirely pleased with a couple green hides taking up the entire freezer......

So right now I am picturing walking down the street through my little suburban neighborhood carrying a decapitated buf head to get down to the little woods to hide it somewhere to decay and stink for a while....
or maybe I can just hammer it up to the fence and let it drip away... hum... neighbor control... that might work... drive out all them neighbors that I cant stand... now just gotta figure out which fence to hang it on.....

well the whole lot only cost me $100. Think I got a deal but a ton of work ahead of me.

Any suggestions?
later
wade

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hum - bitten off more than I can chew?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:09:40 pm »
 :o :o :o :o :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:53:46 pm »
only idea i have is that you could cut off the horns and sens them to me ;D

cant seem to get the buff farms around me to give that stuff up, i even offered to pay for them still got a flat out nope :'(

peace,
                                                                                          tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:14:44 pm »
I live on a large buffalo ranch where they sell young bison for meat.  In the winter the hides are really nice.  It takes up lots of floor space in the garage but they dry out well with lots of salt.  We have buffalo heads all over the place as the bears and coyotes drag them off.  If you skin out the head while its fresh they are not so bad to handle, but after they get ripe its another story all together.  A fresh head will have enough brains to tan the hide once its dry and fleshed out!  I don't envy you the chore you have taken on!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:12:16 pm »
lol. it is pretty obvious that I have not thought this one through all the way....
I was gonna let the head rot then go out and buy some brains to tan the hide.... man.
Hopefully I would have at least figured that one out before putting the head someplace handy to ripen.

any idea on how to get the brains out with out screwing up the skull? not sure what I am going to do with head and horns but might make a cool decoration til I figure it out....

Man I just had this image of how to get the brains out of the skull... you'll love this...

I could remove the spine then insert a high pressure air hose in the eye socket..... blow them right out the back

what do ya think?... I say stand back and let 'er rip.
Later,
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:40:36 pm »
well if nothing else it would be intesting to watch ya try that lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:06:36 pm »
 Sounds like a big mess to me. You could boil them in the Kitchen on the wife's stove for about 9 hours.  >:D Just be sure and open all the windows.  ;) If you go in the bottom of the skull near where the spine enters, in between the Jaws. You can make a hole there big enough to bring the brains out the bottom without messing the skull up. I've done it on several animals, the bone is not thick there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:50:57 pm »
Mullets right about how to remove the brains----I just would not wait too long  ::) ::)!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:58:52 am »
FIRE ANTS!!!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:25 am »
Wade, I would say that I do not envy the job ahead of you, but I am in almost the same boat.  I have two cow hides salted right now, just waiting for me to dive in.  As far as the brains go, this is what I do for deer adn should work for the buffalo head.  I take a piece of 16 gauge welding wire ( clothes hanger will work), cut it about a foot longer than you need.  Wrap one end around a wooden dowel and wind up about an inch to look like a spring.  Then stretch it some so that there are gaps in it.  Then I insert it through the spinal cord into the brain.  You may have to give a little extra push to break through the membrane around the brain.  No need to make a hole when there is one already there.  Give the wire a few twists and start pulling the chunks of brains out.  Just keep an old coffee can or your wifes' favorite bowl under it to catch the brains.  I'll bet those neighbors are going to love you. ;D ;D ;D

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:03:39 am »
Dermastid beetles work too.  I have a small colony of the little buggers working on a snake and some deer legs right now.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:48:17 am »
As for the Brains....do like suggested...either use the Spinal column hole or make a larger one underneath and pull the Brains out in pieces through it....now for the Skull....dig a hole in the back Yard....and bury it.....but don't bury the Horns......cover it back up with earth....and let Mother Nature do your cleaning for you....then when its cleaned off of all flesh....just give it a little Boiling to finish it up.....this way you aren't stinking up the House for a whole damned day!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 02:05:36 pm »
mmmmmm!  wish i could help.  you're welcome to bring down to the farm and feed it to the fireants.  hillbilly is good at finding them but he's not coming this weekend.  you can pick it up on the next trip.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 05:48:47 pm »
I put stuff like that in an ant bed and turn a wash tub down over it be sure to put a cinder block or two on it so it cant be robbed by neighborhood dogs. Make sure to put it where the wife won't notice cause if she moves the tub you may be the next thing to get moved.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 11:00:56 am »
Wade
shoot me a Pm if you don't mind . I would love to see if that place you got those hides from has any more.
Buff hide would make some greay mocs , or anything else you need hide for !
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!