Author Topic: Why do they shoot differently?  (Read 4221 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Why do they shoot differently?
« on: November 20, 2008, 11:01:45 pm »
Let's look at self bows from a totally non-emotional standpoint:   They are just big wooden springs.  A long stick with a string. 

In the last month or so I have made ten bows.  They are running between 30 and 40 pounds, one a little heavier.  Most are 68 to 72 inches long. 

Still, they "FEEL"  different when I shoot them.  Same arrows, same range, same crochety old timer pulling them back and releasing.   And they "FEEL" different when the string is released and the arrow flies away. 

The heavier bow is pulling about 44# and is 72" long.   It surprises me when i shoot it, that is the best description i can think of.   The one i had out today is pulling 34# and is the same length.   It shoots "smooth".....no surprise, no shock......and the arrows go where I point them. 

Keeping in mind that they are all new, all wood , all the same maker (me), WHAT THE HECK IS THE DIFFERENCE?   

OK, I'll stand back now and read everything you experienced guy have to say.   Thanks in advance for all your help. 

piper

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Why do they shoot differently?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:09:48 pm »
I would have to say each tree is different and each part of each tree is different since they are all subjected to different ammounts of rain, wind and sun. Some have more growth rings per inch than other. Some have twists and knots and other imperfections that change the wood. So there are so many different variables that each bow will be different than the one before. That does not count design differences and the bow maker himself. Its alway fun and a crap shoot to boot on how the bow will eventually come out in the end. Have fun and "Vivre la differance!"  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:17:46 pm »
 Piper Even wood from the same tree and same section of tree could feel completely different. The most notable feel is going to be in design and how the even the bow is tillered and timed. Limb timing can very, even a slight change in the shape of the handle will affect how you hold it and how the bow reacts when the string is released.  A slight difference in limb length can make a world of difference.  That is the beauty of it. When you get it shooting sweet, put the finishing touches on it and have fun.

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:35:38 pm »
Keenen......limb timing?   Now, that is an intriguing thought.  Hmmm........so, what i am imagining is that one or the other limb "wins the race" to rest position, right?

What you two fellows have just told me is almost word for word what I have been telling violinists for a couple of decades now........each block is different and sound and play that way. 

I guess I'll just have to keep making bows.  I'll tell my wife that it was your idea. 

piper

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:42:16 pm »
Wow what an incredible revelation :o :o :o That is why we all feel the overwhelming desire to own hundreds of bows >:D >:D We all have a valid reason to go crazy collecting and making and trading and Rut Roe I'm losing control again, ::)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 12:00:07 am »
They shoot different because one pulls 44# and the other pulls 34#. >:D

Seriously, we need a lot more info to answer your question....but don't bother.....it's more fun to figure it out on your own. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:22:55 am »
Jackcrafty, besides the obvious pull difference , they "feel" different on release.  Maybe that is the hand shock that you all refer to.  I think they sound different too. 

Never had this much fun back on my home planet.......

piper

Offline benjamin

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 01:06:05 am »
I think part of it is the arrow. I have a limited supply of arrows so all of my bows have to shoot them well. Not that they all shoot perfectly, but I have to adjust the string height. 5 twists at a time, changed once or 20 times. You shoot and feel hand shock and hear the arrow whack off the side. over and over, and then... No hand shock and perfectly silent, no string twang, nothing.   After that, there's spine, hand placement, up down, crotch of hand vs palm, pinch or 3 finger grip, slash draw vs holding, 1second hold vs 4second hold,...................................................   I have a bow that shoots as perfect as any ever made, then my buddy shoots it and says its the worst bow he's ever shot. So many variables, SOOOO much fun trying to get it right. ;D

AKAPK

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:34:11 am »
Ive Learned a lot from these fine Bowyers in the past and the one thing that I will always remember is " Slow Down". I think ya broke My record for amount of bows made in a month. Actually I slowed down and started getting bows that were 50 # and up and shoot like a canvas back duck in flight man them thing are fast.
I like to film Myself shooting the Bows so I can see how the bow is performing, it really helps but I still shoot funny.Phillip
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:44:12 pm by AKAPK »

AKAPK

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:00:44 pm »
Did'nt mean to kill the thread.Phillip

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:39:41 pm »
 Keenan is on the right track, and it is right up your Alley with the talk of tuneing the limbs. A fine shooting bow to me is, quiet, smooth, and no vibration. See smooth and quiet, ;) It has gotten to the point now that I take most of my time working on the limb tips after I get a bow to tiller. I call it tuneing. I'm taking off a little at a time and shooting it. I don't know how to explain it , except I'm working by feel. When it feels good and the arrow looks fast , I quit.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 11:44:34 pm »
Are they all tillered the same? Probably not. Of  course, they shoot differently. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 12:23:29 am »
Hey, i like that idea about shooting, working on tips, shooting, working on tips......

Looks like I'm going to have to quit my job and just stay home and build bows.   My regular day job is going to get in the way here. 

OK, so i tiller for looks and pull weight.....then start scraping tips.   That could explain and remedy a lot of issues.  Makes sense, though, as the tips fly faster and farther than any other part of the bow. 

piper

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 01:44:26 am »
I still can't figure it out, i can shoot any bow and it will not hit very accurately... but give it to my wife or kids and walla.. it shoots like a dream :o must be the arrows ;D ;)
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

AKAPK

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 01:59:23 am »
Do ya aim with the tip of the arrow cause a rest or not makes a lot of difference  in the spine of the arrow if that makes sence