Author Topic: The Adventures of Stinky Rawhide: Deerskin Soup, Part 1  (Read 40992 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
The Adventures of Stinky Rawhide: Deerskin Soup, Part 1
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:01:58 pm »
Anybody have a good way to remove the odor from rawhide that has been de-haired the "natural way"?  I'm going to be processing several skins this season and I don't want to use the salt&dry method this year.  I was thinking of retting the skins until the hair falls out, and then drying them for later use...but I'm worried about the odor.

I've heard that soaking in gasoline works...but then they would smell like...well, gasoline. :-\

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:01:04 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stinky rawhide
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:05:24 pm »
A bit of chlorox in the water to kill any bacteria might work. If you soak the skins in water and wood ash to slip the hair then stretch and dry the skin you shouldn't have much smell.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:10:16 pm »
Thanks Pat....hmmmm....clorox is a good idea.  Bacteria is supposed to loosen the hair.....so I guess I could soak the skins in water with a little bleach after the hair is off.  I haven't tried the wood ash method.  I'll need to make some fire..... ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 02:34:44 pm »
When wet the wood ash produces lye. You can buy Red Devil lye and get the same results, I believe.There may be other solutions( ;D pun intended) for removing the hair without stinking up the jurnt.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

orcbow

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:42:25 pm »
You can smoke the rawhide to remove smell. (Though it can be hard to get it lit  ::)) No actually, put it in a smoke house or make a smoke tent.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:57:44 pm »
 ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 04:02:50 pm »
Patrick, I just stretch them and dry scrape. No smell, no gooey nasty mess.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:09:18 pm »
Hilbilly, yeah, I can see the advantage of dry scraping.  I plan to prepare at least one by dry scraping....but I was hoping for a quicker way to get the hair off.  Also, I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to the hair.  I don't think I want to have deer fur swirling around my back yard for the remainder of the season....

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 06:24:24 pm »
Doesn't take but a half-hour or so with a good sharp scraper-takes a while to get it off after bucking, too. The flying hair is kind of messy, I usually just rake it up and throw it in the compost pile.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:11 pm »
Patrick I'm highly allergic to deer, but its not the hair its the dander that will get ya, ya know the dead skin flakes and associated little nasties living in the hair.
I get hives from contact, eyes swell shut throat constricts all the fun stuff :P For a bucking solution hardwood ashes mixed in the water also good old garden lime will work
don't know what ratio to use but if its to strong it'll eat the hide ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 08:27:32 pm »
Keep shoveling ashes in until an egg will float upright, exposing an area about the diameter of a quarter. If the egg sinks, it's too weak. If it floats on its side, it's too strong.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:49:38 pm »
Yep...a good Chlorine Bath gets rid of all of the Nasties....and it even whitens it up some too.....but make sure that you rinse it well
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Minuteman

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:32:55 pm »
Just finished doin some reading on graining hides. This couple out in Montana does it without any special bucking solution, they soak the hide overnight, flesh it, then soak it overnight again. Then they remove the hair  with a fleshing knife.
 I have three fleshed hides in a hardwood ash solution in my basement as I type.( My wife has no idea there are deer hides soaking in her house. ) If I'd read about this technique earlier I think I would have tried it. I'm not looking forward to the rinsing out of the buck. I've got a creek behind the house but its not running.

I guess I'll have to chop a hole in the ice on the pond and sink 'em in there.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:43:37 pm »
 I've soaked them for a day and a half without any ashes and the hair will fall off. I can guarantee if you leave it for 3 or 4 days you will have a bucket full of Goo. And I don't think you can buy Red Devil Lye anymore.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 11:31:48 pm »
Lime from the garden center or Tractor Supply works fine, but can get messy.  A couple pounds in five gallons of water usually does the trick.  I have also used pickling lime from the grocery store.  I have not noticed any bad odor in mine.  I just flesh it to get the meat and fat off and then soak in the lime.  While it is soaking, the inner membrane usually fill with the water and swells, making it easier to get off.  It takes alot of rinsing and ringing to get the lime out.  When you think it is all out, rinde it a few more times.