Author Topic: Suggestion to PA, moderators and administrators  (Read 8102 times)

Offline DanaM

Suggestion to PA, moderators and administrators
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:44:32 am »
Pats thread got me thinking with all the new folks joining up and getting the bow building bug perhaps a new section
could be created just for begineers. Many of the threads from the past dealing with a the same old questions could be moved
there and it would be a one stop place for the begineerer to do some research. The search function on here isn't the greatest
and can be cumbersome to use properly. I realize it would take some effort on the mods to move the threads but the membership
at large could help search through the old threads for good ones to place in the Begineers Corner. It could be placed in the Information
and Resources section, delete the link to the old board as its useless anyway and replace it with this one.

What do the rest of you think?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Suggestion to PA, moderators and administrators
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:59:54 am »
make the mods work , i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

captyn cron

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 12:01:06 pm »
Being a noob I would love to see this. maybe even have a rookie botm?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 12:17:45 pm »
I think there's already something like that in place.  It's called " how to's and build-a-longs"
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:20:04 pm »
Kinda sorta Marc, but it doesn't really address many of the questions new folks ask.
They end up buried on page 150 or something :-\
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:32:13 pm »
I think it's a good idea to have a beginner's category with past FAQ threads there for easy access.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
   This has ome up often, I have mixed feeling about it. Sometimes tecniques tend to change a bit or new ideas about tecniques from someone might be presented. I think the biggest focus on these forums has traditionaly been tward the newcomers, No problem asking the same question someone asked a few months ago. I like to watch how last years rookies are this year effectively fielding many of the questions from newbes that they might have been dealing with themselves a year or so ago. Sometimes when someone has been doing something for a long time our answers may not be as complete because we tend to take certain things for granted. I do think it is a good suggestion but for my self Ilike it as is. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:55:33 pm »
Well put, Steve!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:38:44 pm »
I tend to lean towards Steve's line of thinking.  Beside the reasons he stated I think that every time a new guy faces a dilemma he handles it a little different than the rest of us. He often learns something that the more experienced bowyer overlooked.  The system the way it is promotes learning by the more experienced as well as the new guy.  If the new guy doesn't want to participate or ask a question, he can use the search option. The buildalong section has some incredible info if you just want to follow along as you build. That is what it was set up for. What more could a new guy ask for.  It does require a little searching, but in 6 months so would a new section. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 06:40:58 pm »
                                            Cast out and Downtrodden again Dana......................... :(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:34:12 am »
That ain't no bad idea. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 07:20:23 am »
Well it looks like few responses but of the responses recieved I'd say its split pretty evenly for and against.
Of course one mod and two admins are against, guess than says it all. I don't understand why we don't have a
well organized Begineers Section sure would make it easier to refer a begineer to it than have to constantly repeat the same info ???
Seems to me we all started out knowing squat and I for one would have appreciated a easyily accessible reference section of information.
Oh well as they say you Can't Fight City Hall :D

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 09:55:25 am »
Well it looks like few responses but of the responses recieved I'd say its split pretty evenly for and against.
Of course one mod and two admins are against, guess than says it all. I don't understand why we don't have a
well organized Begineers Section sure would make it easier to refer a begineer to it than have to constantly repeat the same info ???
Seems to me we all started out knowing squat and I for one would have appreciated a easyily accessible reference section of information.
Oh well as they say you Can't Fight City Hall :D
No but you can sure whine about them.   >:D ;D

I don't see what could be easier than asking and having 300 guys willing to answer any question you have.  If you think it wouldn't be the same info repeated over and over you don't know human nature very well. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 10:37:38 am »
I like the Idea.. I think there is alot of new guys that would like to just take the time to read this info and them if they still have a ? they would ask it..

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:25 am »
Not whining Justin just stating my opinion which happens to differ from yours ;) :)

It may be work, but if the founding fathers had that attitude where would we be?  >:D ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:18:05 am by DanaM »

Manistique, MI