Author Topic: another hickory board bow  (Read 7620 times)

Dustybaer

another hickory board bow
« on: July 26, 2009, 12:55:01 pm »
i made this one a few weeks ago (in andrews' shop and under his supervision  ;D ), but didn't put the handle on until yesterday, so here are the first pics.

stats: 59" ntn, 48#@25", tempered belly (i love to temper hickory  ;D ) it gained about 5# by tempering.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dustybaer

Re: another hickory board bow
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:57:12 pm »
and a few details:

the handle was built up with strips of leather and then wrapped with leather laces.  really easy to make.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:57:42 pm »
                                          Marius.......looks great....you nailed the Tiller on this one too!!

But tell Me that the Nock Picture....that this is the Belly side that you cut that deeply into....not the Back........ :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Dustybaer

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 01:02:22 pm »
thank you.

actually it is the back i cut into (here's a picture from the side) and i'm shooting it with a fastflight string.  i wanna know how much abuse hickory can handle.

and if it brakes, i can always blame it on AndrewS, 'cause he talked me into it  >:D

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 01:13:17 pm by Dustybaer »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »
Nice bow Marius and its about time ya showed yer face around here again :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 01:15:54 pm »
thank you dana.  i'm just now realizing how much i missed this board (well actually i missed you guys, the board is just the instrument  ;D)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:19:54 pm »
youbetchaeh :) You going to the Tenn Classic next May? If so I will teach ya da yooper language ;D
And bring some Strohs, real fire brewed bavarian beer :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 01:25:05 pm »
yep, i'm working on the trip as we speak.  but i'll have to turn down your generous offer.  now that i'm a honorary redneck, i can't drink that yankee stuff  >:D  besides, pat might remember to bring PBR this time  >:D and i don't know if i'll survive two tests in a row  ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:31:09 pm »
 :o :o :o Turn down free beer :o :o :o Thats a sin. Its da 11th Commandment "Thou shalt not decline free beer eh" :D

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 01:35:11 pm »
I don't cut into the back on any of my bows at the nock, but hickory is very tough, and I'm sure it'll hold together. Your tiller is very good, but it looks to me like the top limb is bending pretty hard just at the fade, and the outer limb is very stiff. I love the grip... very unique.

Dustybaer

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 01:37:49 pm »
fine then, bring it on, dana.  i can't afford to add any more sins to my account  ;D

adb, i think you're right about the upper limb.  i didn't see it until i looked at the pictures.  i might sand her down a little at mid-limb.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 02:23:20 pm »
  besides, pat might remember to bring PBR this time  >:D

And since when is PBR a Redneck Beer ??? Just because Miller bought them out in 1999 ....don't make them a redneck Beer....Miller is still a Yankee Beer also....just because they decided to open a Brewery in Texas...Georgia ....North Carolina and  California don't make them Redneck....just Smart Businessmen...and to tell you the Truth....I drank PBR before I ever drank Store Bought Milk!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Dustybaer

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 02:56:21 pm »
okokok, i'll drink whatever beer you put in front of me!  ;D   how does that sound?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 03:02:41 pm »
Hey Dusty: Nice bow!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline JustAim

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 03:09:49 pm »
Bow looks great. l like the way you made the handle.