Author Topic: Cypress Staves - Input wanted.  (Read 12266 times)

Offline Parnell

Cypress Staves - Input wanted.
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:21:42 am »
Hi folks,
Here are two Cypress staves (branches) that I've had sittin for 9 months and are dried.  They are about 57" long.  Smaller has a 3" diameter and larger is about 6".  They are oblong, however, with a bit of natural reflex.  I'm also going to post a picture of a trunk drying, later.  I haven't seen much on here regarding cypress.  Anyone able to give me a good heads up on how it performs and what designs may make sense for these staves?  Will appreciate any thoughts. 
Thanks,
Parnell   

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline woodstick

Re: Cypress Staves - Input wanted.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:48:16 am »
never used it but looks like it would be heck to chase a ring on it, if you have to.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:49:24 am »
I've never tried cypress. For me there are better options out there. Let us know how it works out for you.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:02:25 pm »
all i know is that the top of the branch is the good part.  You can tell the top because the off-center pith is closer to the top.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:33:28 pm »
Out here in LA (lower Alabama) the choctaw's used it. Don't know much about them, but that is a start...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

coyote pup

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:42:58 pm »
I've never used it, but you can bet I will if I ever get the chance. Have you ever tugged on a small diameter cypress branch? I guess I should clarify because I don't know how many Cypresses there are. If you tug on a Bald Cypress branch, it seems very springy and stout. Kind of like a hickory branch. It does not surprise me in the least that the LA natives used it. I think Destructo has made cypress bows, you can ask him what design seems best. My guess would be rounded belly, and about 1.25 to 1.5 wide on about a 66" bow. I plan to try BC one day if I can get ahold of some.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:54:02 pm »
I once used cypress with a hickory backing that was about an 8th of an inch. The bow took a crazy amount of set and was pretty much unshootable. I figure that the hickory was probably too strong in tension compared to the compression strength of the cypress. I hope it works out for you because I know it's a really light wood and should have a good feel in the hand.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 06:09:05 pm »
so i have a couple of cypruss boards set aside for bow maing,just need to
find the proper backing material,so this is a good thread
thanks for starting it,mine was back burnerd for now, but who knows
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:15:16 pm »
 Bob, (Coowachobee), Makes bows from it. Make it wide and bend in the handle. The Encyclopedia of Native American Bows,Arrows. and Quivers has the demensions for the Seminole bows made from Cypress.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

orcbow

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 07:58:13 am »
I have made two bows from cypress boards. I like the wood alot, it is similar to Eastern Red Cedar in some ways. The first bow was wide and flat, I backed it with canvas. It was a short bow (48" long) and was 2 3/8" wide, and 3/8" thick with "pyramid" shaped limbs. It pulled 42# at 20". I sold that one, but took no pictures. The other one was 1" wide and about 48" long, sinew backed, and it failed miserably (I should have known better!)

I think this wood will do nice bows, I'd love to try it again with a long stave. Good luck!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:52:11 am »
im actually suprised that anyone makes bows out of the stuff. i have alot of cypress that i use for gun racks, bow racks, quiver bottoms, and other random du-dads cuz i like the way it looks. i have some thats 100 pluss years old salvaged from homes in new orleans that were demolished 20 or 30 years ago. that is some cool stuff.
lets just shoot it

Offline xin

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:13 am »
I have seen cypress bows in the Smithsonian Museum in DC that were approx. 65-70 inches, wide ( 1.5- 2.0 inches), and rectangular in cross section with diamond tips.  the tips tended to be about 1.0" in width.

Offline cracker

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 05:25:50 pm »
I think I've read that swamp cypress is the wood to use and that pond cypress won't do. I don't know how to tell the difference though.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:37:20 pm »
One grows in the swamp and the other in a pond. Sheesh Ronnie I figured you as a cracker would know that. ;) ::)

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smokeu

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 11:57:01 pm »
I had a guy tell me when i was down in Al that he had made some bows form cypress, but they had a special method of treating the wood. He said it was like how they do bamboo for flyrods or fishing poles. I want to say that they freeze dried them but im not sure.  I hope that helps.  Looking forward to seeing your progress. you should do a build along.

Best of Luck

Mike
Longview, TEXAS