Author Topic: board bows and hunting  (Read 11917 times)

Offline NTProf

board bows and hunting
« on: October 12, 2009, 01:34:38 pm »
How many of you are hunting with a bow made from a board this year? There was an article in PA this issue about hunting elk with a board bow. It said that we often use boards as a way of learning to build bows, and then move on to staves. So how many of you will be hunting with a board this year? Type of wood? Dimensions? Pictures?

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: board bows and hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 01:47:20 pm »
I did a "type" of hunting with my first bow....its 70" maybe 45lbs @ 28" red oak board ....I mainly used it this last summer for bowfishing...it seemed to hold up to the sport pretty well...

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 01:54:02 pm »
This year I'm hunting primarily with a yew selfbow from a stave. I will also hunt with a boo back and belly bow David Knight gave me and it has an ipe board center lam. ;D
  Once a stave or board becomes a bow you can hardly tell the difference in many cases. A bow is a bow and as long as it is sound and well tillered it doesn't matter if it was made with a stave or board.
  I have made and hunted with quite a few board bows over the years. Most were backed with hickory or boo though. I have never made a self board bow but many have and have hunted with them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 02:25:19 pm »
Mark Baker just did an article on it in PA.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:00:50 pm »
No not this year but I have hunted with board bows.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:24:47 pm »
In a way.  Im hunting with a lam bow this season.  bamboo backed ipe with an ipe belly lam.  I have taken plenty of deer, hogs, rabbits, and squirrel with board bows before. 

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 04:38:49 pm »
I'm hunting with a 60# red oak board bow this year pyramid design backed with turkey net to give it a little of a camo effect.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »
Howdy Group,

Yes, I'm a big fan of the board Bow.  And, both my buddy and I are hunting with Red Oak board Bows.  They're ALB's, about 1-3/4" until the outer 1/3rd where they narrow to about 3/8" at the tips.  His bow is 51#@29-1/2", and mine is about 47#@28".

I had just made my friends bow and gave it to him this last August,  And after going shooting with it a few times, he liked it so much that he put away his F.G. re-curve, and he took up his "new huntin' Long bow."  He said that his new board bow is smooth to draw and to shoot.  And, he likes the primitive aspect.
(As a gift, I'm currently making him a plains style quiver and shoulder bag out of deer hides from deer he had shot.)

All the Best, and safe hunting,
Canoe

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:09:16 am by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline stallion27

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:04:25 pm »
I am hunting with a 60#@28" 58" NTN HBI flatbow this year. All the bows that I have ever hunted with or have made have been from boards.
Nothing compares to the mystical flight of the arrow.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:51:05 pm »
This year, I've been hunting mostly with a piece of ipe board with a piece of bamboo glued on the back: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12160.0.html

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:58:21 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:20:48 pm »
I have hunted the last three seasons with a red oak board bow backed with hickory (50#@ 28").  Followed the Mickey Lotz design.  I'm getting pretty good with it but no harvest yet.
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:23:28 pm »
I guess I haven't learned anything yet because I still like board bows. I hunt with them whenever I can.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:27:19 pm »
i like making,shooting/hunting with board bows,or any bow truthfully
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

roofus

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 01:12:41 am »
Yup. I'm a board bow guy. I have a 50# Hickory I am pretty proud of. It ain't pretty but it is a good shooter. It lives because the guys on here taught me how to save a splintered limb.
I'll put up some pics later. Oh by the way, I hunt Mullies and Elk in Colorado. Am looking forward to some varmit(Rabbits and Yotes) hunting with the osage I'm working right now. "Too Short Osage"

Rob

Offline NTProf

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 11:26:09 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I am currently working on a sapling bow, but I just finished a maple board bow that is a great shooter. So I might hunt with it this year. I will try to get pictures up if my daughter will let me use her camera. I still like board bows.