Author Topic: dry heat making bows stronger  (Read 3411 times)

Offline wodpow

dry heat making bows stronger
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:53:00 am »
Is it normal for bows to get stronger when the wood is subjected to the dry heat  of a gas furnace  in the winter or is it just me ?

Kirkll

Re: dry heat making bows stronger
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 03:09:02 am »
i have zero experience with self bows, or even board bows, but.... when the moisture content in a piece of wood goes down significantly, it looses elasticity, and i would think it  definitely would raise the poundage on a bow... unfortunately it makes the wood more brittle, and depending on species...it could easily fail in compression or tension depending on the weakest point.

Kirk

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 04:23:11 am »
Getting a bow too dry is a recipe for failure. I like to try and keep my bows around 8% mc. Every point in oisture makes a difference in the stiffness on the bow. Most woods will get stronger in compression but if they get too dry they get weaker in tension, this usually happens below 6% moisture. As far as I am concerned trying to mangae the moisture in a bow can be kind of a pain. If posible select a wood that works best in your own climate. Dry climates favor woods like hickory, elm, hornbeam, moister climates locust or osage or some of the exotics. Maple seems to work well for me in my climate here in so cal, maintains about 8% to 9% mc.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:50 pm »
I would think getting a bow to the proper dimensions and pull, then sealing it properly, would keep it happy where ever you go.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:16:28 pm »
It's not quite as simple as that Makenzie. It takes a constant vigilance for good bow care in these types of bows.  Once you understand the importance of proper moisture content in wood and it's relating effect to good bow health then good things start to happen. Bows quit breaking seemingly for no reason, bows take less set and you gain a greater confidence in your bow making skills. ART

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:32:26 pm »
It's not quite as simple as that Makenzie.

Well I'm not implying that one coats the bows and never goes back...though it may have seemed that simple.  I wax or oil my bows before I go anywhere with them...typically after every use, too.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »
Yes, if it was green  when you put it by the furnace. Loosing moisture makes the wood stiffer. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wodpow

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:32:37 pm »
Its just two 60#+ Osage 70" long bows have taken to stacking at about 26""  they were smooth drawing out to 28"@ 63# really don't want to loose any draw weight  at first I thought it was me till I scaled them. The wood was three years old and must of been retaining moisture when I tillered them was just curious. They are not at the heat source it's just that winter and dry heat would make my grand mothers old dining room furniture  get loose till she had a humidifier put on her furnace It was some really old tables and chairs with hide glue glued joints. will tiller go back  to where I had it latter on? there not sealed up real tight maybe that did it.