Author Topic: My first attempt to build a bow  (Read 9857 times)

fieldmouse

My first attempt to build a bow
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:15:42 pm »
Guys,

I was forwarded the link to this site from another forum after I asked about building my first bow.  I joined a few weeks ago, read a lot of threads and looked at some of the links from this site.  I've even emailed a member for my first advice.  I figure the least I could do was to post my first attempt here.  Whether I'm successful or I crack and burn on my first attempt, I'm really looking forward to this new hobby and where it takes me.

So here is my first attempt.  I choose the easier route and started with an Red Oak board.  I've shaved my limbs down and glued the extra piece on for my grip.  I'll let it sit til Tuesday and begin again then.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline adb

Re: My first attempt to build a bow
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 10:15:26 pm »
Are you going to cut your shape profiles before you start to tiller? Also, how long is your board? It looks very short... not an easy first tiller. If I was you, I would have forgotten about the glue-on handle, and just make a simple bendy-handle bow. When you say... "I've shaved my limbs down", what do you mean? You've taken wood off the belly already? If so, stop until you've got your profile shape cut. Good luck... make some sawdust, and see what happens!!

fieldmouse

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:59:42 pm »
I'm going by a few threads I read.  My bow is 68" long.  As far as shaving my limbs.  I've shaved them down to just a good starting point with the tilering.  I know I have more to go but I figure the process of slow will get me there.  I'm working with a shoulder that's still recovering from surgery and it's seems to be a good PT application.  Next going to work on my limb tips.  I'm ready to cut them out but wanted to get the grip built up first.  I may have some questions on forming my grip but for now its my tips are next.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:09:38 pm »
http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

Required reading for a 1st red oak board bow!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

fieldmouse

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:13:25 pm »
Thanks, it's one of my links I'm going by along with George's and a few others.

Offline luis32

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 11:18:48 pm »
fieldmouse I jsut made my first bow like 5 days ago and I think that the most important thing in making bows is having patience,going little by little,exercise the limbs.looking foward to seeing your progess.

fieldmouse

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:56:28 pm »
Not much of an update but I've completed my tiller press and shaped my ends.  Read to begin the tillering process.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:16:21 pm »
You'll want to swoop your handle gently into the belly before you start bending, otherwise the handle will pop off on you.  Have you got it to floor tiller yet? 
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

fieldmouse

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:50:49 pm »
I was wondering about the handle, thanks.  As far as floor tillering, yes and no.  Yes I've been doing it but probably not as far as I need to go. 

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 11:53:02 pm »
I think you might want to do some more profile shaping and handle fade tapering before you tiller any further.

fieldmouse

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 02:11:51 pm »
Ok, it's at 10" draw at 50#.  I'm shooting for 50# at 26. 

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 02:25:49 pm »
You're going to end up with a lot of set if you pull too much weight before you need to, especially at hinges like you've got at the fade on the right.  The rule of thumb I keep reading here is that you'll pick up 3# for every inch of draw.  When you've got 10" of tip movement at 20-25#, brace it, then gradually work up the weight from there.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »
Never pull your Bow during Tillering to anything higher than the Weight that You are shooting for...never!  Also make sure that when You are taking Pictures of the Tillering Process ...that you do it from directly in front of the Bow...these Pictures are on an Angle and give false perspectives of what the Tiller really looks like....believe me it will mess things up! Go slow...watch the Bend...mark what isn't bending smoothly...scrape only these Areas...and then bend it again and again...doing the same thing...but never go over the 50 pounds that you want it to be in the end...overstressing it now will ruin it for you...I can not emphasize it too much...go slow and learn from every scrape you make....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

fieldmouse

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 05:28:27 pm »
Yea, sorry about the angle.  I had to borrow the wife and you get what you can get.  When my kids get back, I'll post another pic.

fieldmouse

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 08:23:53 pm »
Here is my pic for the day.  I'm now pulling 50# at 20".  I've got a better scale on the way that I bought off ebay.  So, I guess I'm done for the weekend.  I'll pick it up next weekend.