Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4670891 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #19785 on: December 17, 2023, 05:40:06 pm »
Very nice weekend, got in some hunting, close but again no cigar  ??? Had a good meeting Saturday with most of the guys showing up, always good to see them. Had some time in the shop also. Had a nice peaceful supper Friday night, fried pike and taters, the pike came from my buddy Rocky in MI. and was delicious. Thanks Rocky !!! Sister just watching hoping for some scraps.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19786 on: December 17, 2023, 05:43:28 pm »
Got 2 more hides into rawhide and another big hide fleshed and in the rack, this last one is 6 foot 6 inches long and 3 1/2 feet wide with only 2 small holes, barely fit in my rack, should make a great brain tanned hide. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 05:54:52 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19787 on: December 17, 2023, 05:48:43 pm »
Got a string made for my new Yew bow, tip over lays finished and the grip and shelf all done, ready to shoot it in and put some finish on and a handle wrap. Shoots good , fast and light in the hand.  :) 52@26. Took about an inch of set and will probably take a little more after shooting it in good, still very happy with how it turned out. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19788 on: December 17, 2023, 05:53:06 pm »
Got the sealer on my latest knife and as yall know I don't do leather work ??? :) :) so started a stand for it, almost done except for pinning the rack and leg bone stop, sanding and sealing. Hope yall had a good one also and are ready for a big Christmas.!!! Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19789 on: December 18, 2023, 05:03:54 am »
Like the Yew Bow ! Yew generally is soft in the Hand and a pleasure to shoot ! Eat alot of Pike, one of My Favs  -C- ! Thanks Pappy - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19790 on: December 18, 2023, 07:54:46 am »
Looks like a great weekend Pappy.

Gotta love those cold water pike. They are really good.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19791 on: December 18, 2023, 07:10:03 pm »
So many people up this way worship the walleye and hate northern pike with a passion. Frankly, walleyes are like reeling in an old boot for all the fight they put up. And they don't hardly taste like anything but what you season them with. I like the scrap that a snot-rocket slough shark northern puts up and they have such a nice sweet flavor, my favorite on the plate for sure!

Pappy, if that yew bow can't get the job done then your deer are immortal and no bow will do! I like it plenty.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19792 on: December 19, 2023, 09:35:14 am »
Thanks guys, yes that pike is some good eating for sure. I been working on Beau's bear hide, just the head and what a chore to flesh, I got it tanned with pro tan [I think it is called } ??  and went over to my nephews who is a taxidermists , he has the coolest machine to flesh and thin the hide, in just a few minutes he did what would have taken me hours to do, I need 1 of them  ??? :) :) :) I rubbed the flesh side down with krow oil and will let it set a couple of days, then twist and stretch and he says it will come out soft, we will see. :-\ Not sure what I will do with it but if it turns out soft I would love to make a hat so if anyone has done this from a bear head skin or have a pattern please chime in.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19793 on: December 19, 2023, 12:02:32 pm »
Pappy, this is a bag I made for Jon Stewart's grand daughter with a foot from a bear hide he had. Just a thought for other parts of the hide.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

« Reply #19794 on: December 19, 2023, 01:50:16 pm »
Pappy, this is a bag I made for Jon Stewart's grand daughter with a foot from a bear hide he had. Just a thought for other parts of the hide.

That shinnes
If you see crazy coming cross the street

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19795 on: December 20, 2023, 09:25:00 am »
Thanks Pat, I remember that one, very nice work, I may try and save a few pieces of the main hide and do something like that with them, I want to make a hand warmer out of some of the main hide but the head section I really want to make a hat, waiting on some instruction from my buddy Glenn from NY, he said he had a pattern he would send me, I plan on stretching and softening it today so we will see how that goes. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19796 on: December 22, 2023, 08:47:03 am »
Headed to the cabin for just a day or so, Christmas is almost here !!! always fun with family and friends. I have a few things going in the shop and might try and hunt 1 more time before Christmas :-\  other than that hope for a peaceful next few days. Hope every one has a Blessed Christmas, remember the reason for the season. :) :) Life is Good
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19797 on: December 22, 2023, 10:35:01 am »
Merry Christmas to you and the family, Pappy. Should be quite fun with those grand kids.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19798 on: December 23, 2023, 04:55:05 am »
Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays !  (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19799 on: December 23, 2023, 05:14:29 pm »
Back atcha, uncle Bob.  :OK