Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4671216 times)

Offline seabass

Re: Life is good
« Reply #10770 on: May 25, 2014, 03:03:34 pm »
Have a great weekend guys
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10771 on: May 25, 2014, 03:34:24 pm »
Life really is good.  I lost a friend and a mentor a few days ago.  He was 69 yrs young and at a ballroom dance class with his wife when his heart gave out.  Yesterday we got together and celebrated his life, career, family, and his many achievements.  Nearly 1,500 people in attendance, lotsa folks shaking hands, hugging, laughing and crying. 

Dennis was very active in the Democratic Party and not one for extremism.  The local head of the Republican Party attended the funeral and spoke briefly about how Dennis kept the people of his district as  his focus and not party politics.  A man that Dennis represented in a Workman's Comp claim hitchhiked from Pine Ridge Reservation so he could pay his respects. Virtually everyone in the legal system in the area was represented, all spoke highly of how Dennis represented not just clients but Justice.  The Justice that comes with a capital J, not an abstract concept, but something real and tangible.  Young people in their early 20's from his Tai Chi class attended and spoke of how he fit in despite the age disparity. Representatives from EVERY sportsman's or conservation group were there in full force, his love of the fishing, hunting and involving kids in these activities was the stuff of legends. 

He lived well. He died well. He will be remembered well.  His life, in every sense of the words, spelled out the concept LIFE IS GOOD.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10772 on: May 25, 2014, 03:43:45 pm »
Very nice rememberance JW.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10773 on: May 27, 2014, 08:38:15 am »
Great story JW,that is the best a man can hope for. I had a great weekend but now headed to jury duty, be done Friday and maybe get back to normal. ;)Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10774 on: May 28, 2014, 05:30:06 am »
Back today for who know how long,but glad to be free for now. ;) ;D ;D Hope yall had a good weekend ,I know I did,looks like the folks had a ball in Marshall,wished I could have made it. :( We got a lot done in the shop and also went to a local shoot Saturday,very nice for a change. Here are some pictures of the weekend.Got my Osage for Paul finshed and also a good start on my Vine Maple,not real fond of that wood but hope it will work out and make a bow.  :-\
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10775 on: May 28, 2014, 05:33:47 am »
Splitting some of the creek Osage Greg gifted Jon,might get a bow or 2 out of it.
Josiah's Osage ready for finish work,turned out very nice. Putting my Vine Maple on the form for some straighting. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10776 on: May 28, 2014, 05:40:40 am »
Vine Maple after the form work. :) Mike's new Osage,he came down for the weekend  to go to the shoot  and work on some bows with us. Jon chasing a nice Osage stave,few knots but very clean wood other than that. Art and Ann,a gal from Australia that works in Nashville,yall may have meet her at the Cklassic,very nice lady. :) She had a couple of self long bows she wanted to try on distance. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10777 on: May 28, 2014, 06:03:39 am »
Some flight shooting,I got to test out the long bow from Del,160 yards with a 560
grain arrow,I didn't think that was to bad,not sure ??? :-\ Jon down to the knots and lay out on his Osage. Me cutting some nocks in my V.M. bow getting ready for the long string. Some relaxing and me cutting out Jon's snaky Osage. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10778 on: May 28, 2014, 06:11:31 am »
My Vine Maple on the tiller stick/long string about ready to brace. ;) :) Took them to School Saturday at the shoot. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D Went home Sunday to spend some time with Miss Joanie,then we went shopping [new sander and other supplies I needed ] then I came back down Sunday evening,spent the evening with just me and Sally,that is a little different for me but very peaceful. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10779 on: May 28, 2014, 06:19:15 am »
Antler tip over lays and back for some heat treating on my Vine Maple bow,looking OK so fan,still afraid I may miss weight.Time will tell. :-\ Chuck showed up Monday and we went to my house and hauled a few more pieces of equipment I had for the shop,he and a couple more want to build some lam bows and I had just what they needed. Hope yall had a good one I know I did. :) Life is Good. :)
 Pappy   
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10780 on: May 28, 2014, 06:52:23 am »
Nice lookin' tips :)
Not sure about that thicknesser ???, I'd have thought a load of stone points fixed to a log, powered by a waterwheel would do the job  ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10781 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:33 am »
Some flight shooting,I got to test out the long bow from Del,160 yards with a 560
grain arrow,I didn't think that was to bad,not sure ??? :-\ Jon down to the knots and lay out on his Osage. Me cutting some nocks in my V.M. bow getting ready for the long string. Some relaxing and me cutting out Jon's snaky Osage. ;) :)
 Pappy
Hey Pappy, with a 400gn arrow, small flights and a 28" draw I've had 240 yards out of that baby! ;D
I didn't dare try anything lighter for fear of loosing my arrow ;D
(mind it was only built for 26" draw... but you know how its ::) )
Del

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10782 on: May 28, 2014, 07:05:02 am »
Ya I was drawing my normal draw of around /25 1/2 26 and used my hunting arrows, I thought it done pretty good compaired to the others, Plenty to kill one of the King's deer,that's is for sure. ;) :) :) Mike shot about 180 but was drawing around 52 lbs or so at 29 with about the same weight arrow. :) That was fun,need to do more of it. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10783 on: May 28, 2014, 07:39:14 am »
Ok ;D  I wasn't sure if the 160 was good, bad or what, 'cos us wimps over here aren't allowed to play with hunting arrows in case we hurt something ::)
Del
It's 11:30 over here, time for a cup of tea :laugh:

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #10784 on: May 28, 2014, 07:50:43 am »
Let me know how the PC sander works out for ya Pappy.  That's the next thing on my list of bowyering tools.  Hope that wood works out for Jon.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN