Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4632653 times)

bjrogg and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life is good
« Reply #14175 on: November 29, 2016, 07:51:14 am »
Glad you got some rain Pappy. There isn't much of anything that feels better than relaxing and watching a much needed rain. Funny thing is it can also be one of the most depressing things when you already have to much and it just doesn't want to stop. One question if I may. How long did you wait to seal your skins after you glued them on? Did you put bow in a hot box? Actually that's two questions.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #14176 on: November 29, 2016, 08:35:31 am »
Wow, look at all them bucks!  Really nice ones, too. 

Got me a big bodied, small rack buck on the 2nd day of rifle season here in Michigan.  Then the day after Thanksgiving, I was fortunate enough to shoot two does.  The little woman says that I need to get a few more.  I've been spending all my free time in the woods except for after work processing the deer.  Been warm up here.  Don't get much hanging time before they need to be cut up.

Glad to see that Life is Style Good at Twin Oaks.  Miss all you guys.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14177 on: November 29, 2016, 09:01:59 am »
Congrats on the deer Matt, good to hear from ya. Tell everyone up that way I said ha. ;) BJ yes we really need the rain and yes I have seen the time I almost cried when It just keeps coming, like the Classic most years. ;) ;D ;D I usually give them  couple of days, no I don't normally put it in a hot box
I just put it inside close to heat or cool depending on the time of year. I put a thin base coat of TB3 on first and let it dry, then wet the skins to soften but pat them dry as good as I can , then add another coat of glue and glue them down, I don't wrap them anymore , I just work them from handle to tip until I have them like I want , all the air bubbles are gone  /skin lined up down the middle and the glue is set which is pretty quick with TB3. Then give them a day or 2 to dry and then trim the sides and start sealing, using 000 steel wool between coats going from head to tail lightly. I keep on sealing until it is smooth as a Baby's behind. Tougher/thicker skins take more coats to get smooth .  :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:05:23 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14178 on: November 29, 2016, 10:20:34 am »
That rain will help keep those forest fires away.  I just saw Gatlinburg is burning. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14179 on: November 29, 2016, 10:41:05 am »
Ya Clint thank goodness we are 4 hours from there, We are expecting more rain late today so that should take care of us pretty good for a while.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14180 on: November 30, 2016, 07:57:42 am »
Got another good rain last night and early this morning, I think we will be good for a while, I hunted yesterday evening and saw a nice buck about 40 yards out just easing along headed North and also seen a button I had seen a couple of times before with a broke left front leg, Looks like right at the knee I seen him a couple of weeks ago and figured the Yots would get him but so far they haven't. :) He came with in 18 yards wide open but I thought he was coming in closer. ??? 18 is OK but 5 or 10 is better. ;) He didn't, he veered right and went on his way. He seems to like and stay in that area so maybe he will stumble by me closer next time. ;) He seems to be getting along pretty good on 3 legs so maybe it will heal or he will just get use to it and make the winter, hope so. Better stay away for me though. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14181 on: December 01, 2016, 08:04:51 am »
I haven't been over here to see all the pics from Twin Oaks in a few weeks and its nice to see your all still having fun there. Lots of good stuff in your post as usual Pappy. Nice deer in those pics, your herd looks healthy there.Your latest osage bow looks sharp, I like the looks of that snake skin and dyed handle combo.That bone handle knife ain't shabby either and the sheath Jon made for it is just plain cool.
 Its no wonder the Classic is so popular, who wouldn't want to come down there and be a part of all that activity sometime.  :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14182 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:28 am »
Thanks Greg, glad you enjoy. Yes we do almost always have a lot going on with a lot of like minded folks
doing it but as for the Classic it is you and folks like you that make it what it is. I am very blessed and know it, that I get to do this stuff all the time and have a lot around me that feel the same and love it as I do. But once a year when we all get together is the greatest at least for me. I can't even begin to put into words what that means to me, so thank you and all the rest of my PA friends for that. It is very much appreciated and not taken for granted I assure you . ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14183 on: December 02, 2016, 05:02:59 am »
FRIDAY, YES.  ;) Been another long week here at work but all is good now that it is Friday. ;) Headed to the cabin to do some hunting and shop work and really looking forward to it as always. Got my skins all sealed up on my new Osage so I plan on shooting it a bit more to be sure nothing changes and then finish it up. So far so good on it. I am sure there will be some folks around so no telling what else we may get into. Got this picture from our buddy Dan that is in South Dakota pheasant hunting, looks like he is doing ok. Hope yall have a good one, see ya Monday. Life is Good. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #14184 on: December 02, 2016, 10:05:26 am »
That Dan loves to run the Brittany for them Pheasants. They make pretty photo's.

Well, took another song dog this morning. Worked late on a ILF riser last evening after a evening sit. Liking this cool weather, feeling like Montana in September.
Harvested another bean eater off the farm in the cane. Think that is that well over 1000lbs harvested now. Maybe can spend some time looking fer a buck. Saw a really good 5x5 , in the brush last night 4.5yr old at least. I have his shed from last year. Expect this doe will eat better n him anyhow.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:52:06 am by Smag »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14185 on: December 03, 2016, 05:38:23 am »
Man - I sure Miss Hunting Pheasants ! Spent a great part of My Youth Hunting them before the numbers crashed. They used to be thick as thieves - don't hear any crowing in Spring anymore  >:(.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14186 on: December 05, 2016, 04:32:59 am »
Never hunter them Bob but always wanted to, maybe I will go with Dan at some point. Nice doe Shawn.
Had a great weekend, no deer but didn't hunt much, just always seem to get distracted at the Cabin. ;) :) Had several over for some shop work and a couple of new folks showed up, that is always good. Here are some pictures of the fun. Will working on a new Osage and Bill and Linda teaming up on an Osage ring.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14187 on: December 05, 2016, 04:34:57 am »
My new Osage sealed up on the back, just needs a little more shooting and should be good to go. The starting of another powder horn, man can't have to many of them I guess. :) My girls taking care of the abundance of deer legs they have hid away over the season. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14188 on: December 05, 2016, 04:38:56 am »
Horn all polished up and ready to work. Andrew , a new guy showed up and wanted to make a bow and also learn to brain tan, nice kid, I think he will fit right in. He summers in Idaho fighting fires and lives in Clarksville in the winter months. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14189 on: December 05, 2016, 04:42:04 am »
The horn getting fitted with a spout and end plug. Andrew getting some lessons on fleshing a hide, he killed one and the other was road kill, got to love that. We are just going to make him some rawhide out of the road kill and brain tanned leather out of the other one.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good