Author Topic: 2nd self bow  (Read 4787 times)

Offline gilbarbarian

2nd self bow
« on: February 11, 2010, 12:58:27 am »

not sure what to do about this

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: 2nd self bow
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 01:29:54 am »
Should be fine as long as it doesnt run of to the edge of the bow.  You could thin some superglue and squirt it in there and then put a sinew wrap with hide glue at the last couple inches to try and keep it from running any farther. JMO.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 01:31:43 am »
Hey forgot to say good job.  Looks like a good shooter. 

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 01:55:06 am »
A bit of super glue will do the trick. Shouldn't need to wrap unless it gaps at full draw.
Very nice for your second bow! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 05:58:39 am »
great job. i love the tiller. that crack doesn't look too big a problem to me. as advised, super it up.

nice going!
Cape York, Australia

radius

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:35:04 am »
looks good!  but it wouldn't hurt to round the edges over a little, from end to end.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:10:58 am »
Very nice bow,Like has been said,superglue in the check, Looks like a drying check anyway and I doubt it will cause any trouble. Wished my second had looked like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline broketooth

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 07:21:53 am »
very nice bow, i can tell it had very thick rings. ya gotta love the look of osage

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 09:15:39 am »
Very nicely done, congrats eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 11:58:16 am »
great looking bow gil!

Keep in mind that I know nothing about bows, but related to the crack, and this might be a silly question, but would "stop drilling" cracks of this nature be beneficial?  The technique is used to stop propagation of cracks in metal due to cyclic loading....ie. fatigue related to motion.

I wonder if stop drilling, then installation of a small diameter dowel would ensure fatigue doesn't cause the crack to grow?  Anybody done this?
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 12:12:45 pm »
The problem with that is you violate the growth ring on the back in that spot[Not good] a drill hole is like a worm hole,a natural hole in the limb on the other hand the growth ring will follow down in the hole so there is usually not a problem.Metal don't have growth rings. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

radius

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:38 pm »
then again, pappy...look what one eye is up to!

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »
Howdy Gil,

WOW!!  What a nice tiller job!!

Yes, what they said...  Round the edges some, a lil' super glue in the crack, then shoot the poop out of it!

Hey, by the way, what are the stat.s on this bow; length, poundage, draw length?  How many bows have you made before this one?

Again, really nice tiller.

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »
Ya  I know but I still don't think it is a good idea to violate the back. :) Not saying it won't work sometimes ,he has proved it will but overhaul I wouldn't recommend it as a general rule. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

radius

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 12:28:52 pm »
same here...i'm pretty daunted  by it, actually...but i think he has definitely proven us wrong:  at least using 1/4 sawn white oak...goes to show that the forces of tension are really UNDER the top layer...at least...i think it does!