Author Topic: Possible Pecan Save  (Read 8498 times)

Lombard

Possible Pecan Save
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:57 pm »
Been working on a Pecan Bow for my Grandson. Well last weekend had it tillered to twenty inches; when the dreaded crack sound resonated around my little barn. Disappointed and frustrated, I built quivers for the rest of the weekend.

Now back home and with fresh eyes, decided to give it another look. Anyway after seeing the 48 inch recurved hickory that Ryoon4690 posted, I was encouraged that the little pecan still has possibilities. Incorporated the knot where it cracked into the nock, and after some shaping looks better. Ended up removing ten inches total making it 55 inches long total. I'll go at again in the morning, and will hopefully salvage a bow out of it.

Note the knot in the photo, it is really playing tricks with my eyes during floor tillering.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Possible Pecan Save
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:46:28 pm »
Did it break like that at both ends? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:54:03 am »
No Jawge, I cut the tips off. The bow cracked at a knot that being six inches from the tip, I thought wouldn't be a problem. So I cut the tip off just above the knot, then reshaped the tips. The knot had an elongated shape, and I think what happened it the knot itself was seperating from the rest of the wood. Just didn't trust it.

So how are you doing sir? I hope your recovery is going well.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:36:04 am »
Dave, looks like you got a pretty long non bending handle section on the sucker for 55"er. Also your fades look very long. On these shorty's you need every inch of wood to bend or the bow will take a lot of set and or break.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 12:24:22 pm »
Thanks Ryan, I will try to get that handle area bending, and shorten the dips.

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »
Ryan, is this more in line with what you are talking about? By following your suggestion it ends up with about two more inches of working limb, on either side of the handle.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 02:45:32 pm »
Lombard, I'm doing better. Thank God. Thanks for asking. Jawge
Set Happens!

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »
Been out there scraping, scraping, & scraping. It is finally starting to take shape. My Grandson's draw length is twenty four inches, and the bow is pulling twenty four pounds at twenty four inches. This pecan has all kinds of dips and do's, and a few knots, so it is really testing my eye. The top limb is one and a half inches longer than the bottom limb.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »
Yes sir. That looks much goodlier.... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 06:48:12 am »
Looks really sweet, maybe a tad more flex on the third near the handle on the left limb would spread the load a bit?
It show perseverence and skill when you can rescue what you thought was a lost cause, nice work.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Lombard

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 07:26:35 pm »
Did just that Del, and it certainly looks better. Added a linen backing just for insurance too, as this is the shortest bow out of my shop to date.

Lombard

Re: Possible Pecan Save (with finished Photos)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 07:53:34 pm »
Howdy All, we had some absolutely awesome weather in Alabama this last weekend. I got a whole list of things done, and even found time to finish up my Grandson's little pecan bow. I ended up naming it, Maybe. Because with that big ole worrisome knot, maybe it will make maybe it wont. Backed it with linen, just in case. This is the first time trying the sunburst thing. Being my own worst critic, I can find all kinds of fault, but it is what it is. 55 inches overall, 24 pounds at 24 inches, and 1&3/4 inches at the dips tapering down to 1/2 inch at the tips. Now if these photos will post.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:56:50 pm »
Very nice work. Jawge
Set Happens!

HatchA

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 08:23:15 pm »
That's a damn good save!  You should be proud :) 

Let us know how your grandson likes it.  Will you make arrows to match it for him?

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 08:35:18 pm »
Outstanding !!
The only way to fail is to never start !