Author Topic: New 'Shine Distillery in Gatlinburg  (Read 17247 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: New 'Shine Distillery in Gatlinburg
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:25:08 am »
I'm not really a drinker, but I tried it in Prague and didn't get the big deal. Like drinking brandy, ouzo, etc- its either your thing or not...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 07:56:33 am »

I like it.  I have drank a lot of Cognac in Italy.  Just not the best in chemical health.   ;)
     I will have to try the Absinthe.  If I see visions, I will let you know....... ::)

Wayne

I had very, very vivid dreams after drinking it. Nothing really weird, though, and not nightmares.

I'm going to invest in an absinthe fountain. It will make louching (sp? dripping water over a sugar cube) easier.

Rick, you may have drank a wee too much. My worst ever hangover involved a breakup with a girlfriend, hanging out with Viking-sized friends and trying to keep up with them in a bar in Harvard Square, a great number of ales, and then an accidentally ordered and not paid for shot of lemon vodka. It ended with sobbing hysterically on the floor of my apartment kitchen after waking up the roommates trying to fit the key in the lock. A wonderful night that was :) Then I unfortunately woke up. One roomie thoughtfully left a bucket by my bed.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 08:07:28 am »
That peach jar was refilled several times,the first was good,it is still in the fridge in the archery shop.
Some shine is pretty smooth and I have had some that taste like kerosene. King Ron gets some good stuff just don't know where it comes from. I will take a small taste but don't drink,clear,brown or wine,it just hurts me to bad the next several days, :o ant as tough as I use to be.  ;) :) :)       
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 08:13:25 am »
What is all the talk of peaches? Are they used in making moonshine? Yeah, an ignorant question maybe, but I've never even seen any in real life, let alone drank any. Sadly, I had to make do with a nice local microbrew bitters last night, alas :) Next to pilsner, my favorite kind of beer.

Oh, btw, I have a bunch of cocktail recipes featuring Absinthe if anyone is interested. It makes a great mixer. Drinking it neat is highly not recommended. That is when the devil steps in.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline cracker

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 08:49:36 am »
It was some spring water a friend gave me that had some awful peach flavoring in it so I put a can of peaches in heavy syrup in the jar and filled it with the spring water and let sit in my fridge for like three months turned out great at least everyone drank it like is was really good. and then it was refilled and refilled and ..........
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 09:31:58 am »
 I'm still sippin' the jar of medicine I brought home from Tennessee. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 09:57:08 am »
Eddie it's good for the rhumatiz.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 12:59:48 pm »
Anyone can leagally make and sell 'shine...you just gotta pay up to uncle sam.

I may or may not dabble in the art and i do mean art, at lest that's what i've heard,  ;)

There are a few really good forums, not unlike PA, totally devoted to it, and I may or may not be a member of those forums as well  ;)

A basic pot still can yield a lower alcohol content (~80 proof) product that can taste exceptionally good. if you want to get into the ultra high alcohol content product (pure alcohol) you need a reflux still.
45# at 27"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 01:08:16 pm »
peaches are used mostly for flavor but will also add sugar content, which influences the acohol centent. different grains/sugars will yeild different products.
- sour mash whiskey is made with corn
- tequila is made with Agave
- rum is made with molassas ( i believe)
- Mead is made with honey

and everything and anything in between.
45# at 27"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 01:40:36 pm »
I once made about three bLooms of Maple Whiskey...at least that's what it turned into....when the caps started blowing off the Syrup I made.... in my Moms Pantry....man you want to talk about a sticky mess.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 01:48:12 pm »

BTW, can someone describe moonshine? How does it taste? Does it make a good mixer? Or is it best served neat?

Dane

Dane, the commercial liquor that is closest to white corn likker in taste is single-malt highland Scotch. That's good corn likker I'm talking about, not rotgut stuff. And yes, you drink it straight, right out of the jar-you'd be looked at as very strange, deviant, and worthy of suspicion if you mixed anything with it (that would be an insult to the maker, not to mention bringing your manhood into question :) ) or poured it into a glass (bad manners). There's a huge difference in quality in moonshine. Nothing better than good moonshine-smooth, good flavor, and won't give you a hangover. And there's nothing worse than bad white likker. Some of that stuff made in galvanized stills and condensed in old skidder radiators will kill you (if you're lucky.) The old-timers around here that made it the right way for their own consumption made the best stuff, but it's getting really hard to find. Making likker is hard work, and most of the younger generations won't do it. And it's always been legal to make and sell moonshine as long as you pay the gummint their extortion money. There's a brand in the liquor stores here that's been around as long as I can remember called "Georgia Moon." It's sold in pint mason jars with brown paper-bag labels that say  "guaranteed to be less than thirty days old." ;D It's decent, but not really good.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »
Everclear comes really close too....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 03:06:35 pm »

Dane, like Gopher said the peaches are for flavor.  For the wussys, and ladies.  If it is good well made shine, and smooth, like the stuff I had from North Carolina, on a certain farm......I like to just sip it from the jar.  I like it as is, or refrigerated.  I am almost tempted to ask my light weight drinker neighbor to give me back what is left of the jar I gave him. ;D  But if you get well made shine, it is very good, and has a good taste.  Like I said before, this is absolutely hands down the best I ever tasted.  I have been trying to get a gallon of it, but like I said, I doubt I will be getting any more.  :'( :'(  I'm not a big drinker.  I have several bottles of whiskey, scotch, rum and gin, etc., and I seldom drink it.  Once in a while, I might have a small glass, after, or before dinner.  Sometimes when I go out to dinner, I will get a glass of Crown Royal on the rocks.  But I do like a good shine now and then also.  And it is like giving a raspberry to the cesspool, in the east.   Sip, mmmmmm, hey, Washington...... :P PPLLLLBBBBTTTTTZZSSSTT!!!
N'yah, N'yah, N'yah !  I guess that might be what makes it better than store bought, just a freedom to drink what you want, without the elected mafia wanting money for something that they had nothing to do with, sort of their protection money.  Like if you find a treasure off the coast of the US, the state and Feds want part of it.  I say, if they want part of it, then let them help finance, and look for it!  Hey, Washington,  :P PPLLLLBBBBBTTTTZZSSTTTT !! Also the universal Italian salute! Anyway Dane, if you like peaches, it is okay, to put them in the shine.  I would suggest putting in the pickled peaches, or as they are also known as , spiced peaches.  Now that would be good!  Some like cherries in it.  I just like it straight up.  Not that I would refuse an offer of the fru fru, wussy stuff . ::)

Wayne

Offline cracker

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 03:28:39 pm »
Good points I prefer it straight myself that was an attempt to save a jug that was ruined by bad artificial flavoring worked out pretty good made a bunch of my buddies real real happy.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 03:50:30 pm »

I don't know how many of you have seen the History channel's show on Moon shine, or not, but it featured a Man in North Carolina, called Pop Corn Sutton, who was a convicted Moonshiner.  Well he passed away, the first of this year, Jan 13th .  That is a man I would have loved to talk to ! ;)
                                                                                   Wayne