Author Topic: East meets West Bow (not BOM)  (Read 12039 times)

Offline half eye

Re: East meets West Bow (not BOM)
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 11:26:45 pm »
Bill,  You maybe correct I was basing my comment on a discussion of the experts where-in they knew of the bamboo, but earlier they were wood, then later wood+sinew, then bamboo.....they went on to say that besides the Roman Military the Chineese army was the only other group to have "factories" (read: standard types) of military bows seperate from the various local types. Where ease of manufacture, with good performance, were the driving consideartion. Heck the Romans left bone siyah plates from bows as far as the British Isles

Ken, yer just gonna have to find out fer your own bad self....about thursday
rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 11:38:48 pm »
is it thurs yet

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 12:11:21 am »
Like em both. Always look forward to your post.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 12:32:26 am »
Thats a killer looking bow.

Offline half eye

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:54 am »
Thank you fellas for the compliments.....This is still an experiment somewhat. If ya notice in the braced shot there is still a little room to increase the lever angle....but still keep the string off the bow. I like the bow to be quiet, even if it means it costs some performance.

Another thing is that the low angle levers (or siyahs if you was buildin that kind) give you a low brace height, which I like because you get a longer power stroke. The high angle types give somewhat more speed (and noise) and greater brace height,
 but the low angle gives more cast and power transmittion...so it's a trade off that I haven't figured out which is best yet.

Thanks again fellas

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 11:33:50 am »
Those are both very nice bows.  I really love the angles of that first bow, Rich.  Super work, sir!
1’—>1’

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 12:48:05 pm »
Dang that's cool!  :o
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 01:05:27 pm »
Rich i was wonderin when you was gonna do that wide limb monster.soon as i get my hands on some more wood i got some ideas!That durned llight keeps coming on in my head ;D ;D ;D
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline half eye

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 01:50:28 pm »
Randy,
     Got a piece of Black Walnut sittin there in mortal fear of it's life..... Sould give me 4" wide if I decide that's good.....was thinkin shorter,wider, working and longer levers. Course maybe I'm gettin too much sun here lately too!!!
rich

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 02:26:46 pm »
Hahahaha,i hear ya on the sun thing!!LOl i would be curious how one would perform built to the same dimensions as the bow they digitally  reconstructed?the niyah bow was it?
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Aries

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 03:23:41 pm »
Half eye your experiments, and adventures in bow making are a great informational asset to our community. Keep up the awesome work! ;D
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 05:23:22 pm »
I really like those two bows Rich. I like the second one best, but maybe that just because of the tastefull decoration! I actually like the one that shoots fastest the best?. Very worthwhile experiments!  I agree with one of the above guys, can you get them chrono'd? I'm up for making one of those myself!!  Nice work
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline half eye

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 05:58:58 pm »
Thank you ...again, just havin some fun and maybe get me a screamer fer them Pettin-zoo deers.

Thwack, I do believe that it would be fairly serious. But this bow and the all wood found next door are early bows and follow the Hunnic pattern (influenced by) these types later on morphed into shorter siyah, full contact type so I'm guessing that the later types were somehow better. Some of these early bows had sinew layed on lengthwise, end to end....then were transversely wrapped in two seperate layers "criss-cross" like for a total of three layers + horn so I got to believe they drew serious weight and had good speed.

Aries, thanks, probably wont ever get that burr out from under the saddle.

Thanks dragonman, The longer 60+# is pretty darned quick....and considering they are both simple self bows I'm impressed with the speed but more so....the cast, and so far they seem very well mannered. Both these are going to new homes and maybe their owners can report on performance after they shoot the snot out of 'em.  As to actual chrono....probably have to send to JW so he can play with it some.....that would give 3 independant reviews and then some adjustments can/will be made.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:43 pm »
i'll be more than glad to chrono,field test , and report what i think .after thurs.

Offline JBL

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:24 pm »
BRAVO!!!! You really captured the spirit of the Chinese military bow.