Author Topic: East meets West Bow (not BOM)  (Read 12038 times)

Offline half eye

East meets West Bow (not BOM)
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:05:40 pm »
Well fellas,
       Was wondering about the similarities between the Yingpan, Xinjiang type bows and the mollegabets I'm so fond of. Decided to make a mollegabet pattern bow....but defelxed the working limbs and reflex the levers at the fade but leave them basically straight.
     Here's the result. 59", one piece of Black Walnut, 12" working and 13" levers....50/52 # @ 28". Shoots really smooth, has better than fair speed, and no hand shock.
      Thwack, just made a molle with the levers recurved so it will be interesting to compare notes as to any advantages or dissadvantages of the two designs. Hope ya like this little "half-breed" cause I sure do. I steam bent the curves and made them to resemble the low angle, no contact, type siyah's but did it with the levers.
Rich

PS: put a photo at the end about the chineese bow....so ya can see how much the plan view resembles the Mollegabet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: East meets West Bow (not BOM)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:23 pm »
cool, great bow!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »
That's killer one cool bow. It looks like a rocket.Great job.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 08:08:57 pm »
Very nice. Looks like it's quite a shooter. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:02:10 pm »
Nice looking bow. It is a great combination of styles.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:10:45 pm »
Rich its beautiful!!great work,i really like the profile.I'll have to put it on my list.Cant wait to hear the verdict on the levers!! ;D ;D
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:22:30 pm »
That's a really neat design Rich.I like it. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:22:38 pm »
In the original post I forgot to throw in the picks of this bow's "sort-of-twin". It has nearly three inch wide working limbs, it's 63" which was an average of the old Chineese bows (infantry types)it draws 62# at 28" and it needed a lot of wood taken off to get it down that low. Self bow of red elm, nothing glued on. The decorations that I've started are cotton/silk blend thread with a metal ribbon in the thread....eventually it will have a design painted on the backs of the working limbs and sides of the levers. No finish on it yet....just dye. The thread is applied with multiple coats of lacquer.

sorry about the screw up but here's a couple more picks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:59:57 pm »
those are sweet rich ,cant help but wonder how they shoot ????

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:03:53 pm »
Bring those by my place anytime you are in the Black Hills and we'll set up the chronograph!  I get to shoot first!  Be interesting to get some numbers on those...if they are the rocket launchers I think they are, I bet they would really be nice for hunting antelope on the wide open!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 11:14:05 pm »
Great looking bows.  I second the "look like they should be rocket launchers".  I thought the Chinese Infantry Bows were laminated bamboo?  They were a copy of the Mongul style composite bows without the horn and sinew?  These are assumptions that I have picked up from various sorces, I have not researched them.  Bill

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 11:15:29 pm »
JW,
     What's your draw and favorite weight?....ya never know what that shed mouse might kick out next....It would be fun to know how fast they are with "normal-people" arrows.....these are flat at 15 yards with 750 grain arrows.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 11:21:26 pm »
lol rich "normal people" dont shoot my shafts. takes a mans bow to sling them ...or a roof to build a pole barn out of

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:22:37 pm »
JW,
     What's your draw and favorite weight?....ya never know what that shed mouse might kick out next....It would be fun to know how fast they are with "normal-people" arrows.....these are flat at 15 yards with 750 grain arrows.

I have a cramped 26" draw and I am currently shooting a 50# sinewed osage, but am building a new piece that should draw 60.  I have a nice osage stave in the garage that is a full 80" long and I'm thinking of a 6'6" ELB pulling 80# @ 26", but I might die before I get built up to shoot that bow!  hehehe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:25:50 pm »
Rich
WOW :o :o :o!!!
Been waitin on those.  I am truly in awe. Both are works of art and lookin deadly. I really like the wraping on that 2'nd one.
My friend you never cease to amaze me...

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.