Author Topic: Son's First Buck  (Read 3856 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Son's First Buck
« on: December 24, 2010, 11:57:23 am »
Well my Oldest Son Justin...27...hit me up on Thanksgiving when He was Home...he said that He would really like to go on a deer Hunt with Me...this was really Surprising because all of His Life I had Hunted...and never once did he want to go...well I told Him that I would gladly take Him out on Christmas Holiday when He came Home again....He came Home last Friday....and We have been going out every Morning and Evening since then...We have been having a great time sitting...hiking and really getting to know one another on a different plane than usual...We have been watching Wildlife of all kinds for Days...some awesome Mulies been coming Our way...but Whitetail Season is all that is Open right now...so We have been taking lots of Pictures...and hiking as many Acres as my Crippled Leg will allow...but everything changed night before last...I had a Dream that We missed a nice Buck...because I went to the Wrong Spot to Hunt...so I told Justin that Morning that We were going to go to a Swampy Area I knew about...and dreamed about last night...So off We went... We got there and set up....watched the world wake up...first the Cardinals...then the Quail...a Badger....two Coyotes came by criss-crossoing ...trying to spook up some Breakfast....then out of nowhere we spotted movement in the Salt Cedars....I spotted a small Forked Horn Buck....and then out walked a bigger 8 pointer...probably 2 1/2 year old...I told my Son to get ready...and to wait for the Second deer...the first was too small...these two came in really cautiously ...took them about 25 minutes to sneak in towards the Food Plot...the larger Buck was smelling the Air...and watching for every movement he could find...even the Cardinals were spooking Him...Well he finally got withing 80 yards in the thick Salt Cedars...I told Justin as soon as He got a good clear Broadside Shot...to take it...the deer would not stop ...so when there looked like a small opening was going to present itself....I bleated like a Do....He stopped...and Justin hit True To Aim...right where I had taught Him to aim....The Buck jumped....ran 40 yards....stopped....started wagging His tail wildly...and fell to the Ground...the other Buck just stood there and watched His Buddy run off....but when Justin yelled ..."YES!" the Forked Horn ran past His Buddy lying there...stopped...smelled the Air...ran back to His Buddy...stopped ...smelled Him...tail went up...and we watched Him as He disappeared across that Section of Land without as much as one backward glance!

I am very Proud of my Son...He did great...He will make an Honorable Hunter now that He has joined the Ranks...and I will never forget the look on His Face either!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Son's First Buck
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 12:03:34 pm »
Congrats to you and your son, Mike. Looks like good shot placement. Another one joins the ranks!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:21:49 pm »
Pat...He might be an Overly Bright...Chemical Engineer...but He still listens to His Dad! He got both Lungs and the Liver...the Deer was semi quartering when he hit Him behind the Right Front Shoulder-blade...through the Lung and came out through the Liver...and last ribs on the Left... knew it was good as soon as it impacted...and then the Death Dance was a certainty!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:44:45 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:37:29 pm »
Congrats Mike you should be very proud good to spend time with the kids even when they're grown up.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:38:25 pm »
Congrats to you and your son on his kill. I've been lucky to have my son with me for the last 8yrs.
Times I've always treasured.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 01:21:51 pm »
Congrats to you both.  What a great pre-Christmas present!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Otis

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 01:26:45 pm »
Mike, that is priceless!!!   :)  My girls didn't show interest while growing up. They're 26 and 23 now. This gives me hope. It would sure suprise me if the ask me to take them now. Maybe one of the grandkids will want to go. Every time they are here at the house I get the hunting mags out to look at with them. :)  Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your family while they're home.
                                                     David

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »
Thanks Guys...He is one Happy Guy....and David....don't give up just Yet!

Merry Christmas To All
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 02:18:36 pm »
 Congratulations to the both of you, Mike. When my son comes home now he is always busy running with his buddies and girl friends. It's been a long time since we got in the woods together. Cherish every moment , my friend.

Ya'll have a Merry Christmas, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 02:39:30 pm »
Started a Eurpoean Mount for Him to take Home after Christmas...just have to finish the Plaque for it to Hang on now...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 03:03:48 pm »
That is awesome...never to old to start hunting.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »
Cool beans Mike. Memories like that can't be bought. Congratulations to you and your son on a successful hunt.

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 08:38:11 am »
priceless!!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 09:02:14 am »
Mike,congratulations to your son on his first deer anda nice looking buck at that.
and congratulations to you for the time you know you will get to spend with him from now on.

i wish i was as lucky as your son was on getting my first.
been out deer hunting a total of 67 days this year(this in itself is new for me)havent sen a deer in the daylight yet.
must have to do with the guide  ;).
his is obviuosly better than mine  ;D

thats a great looking euro mount your making him too.

meryy christmas tou you and your  yours Mike
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 09:13:56 am »
 El D...Those are memories the 2 of you will cherrish and look back on the rest of your lives. ;) Congrats
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2